old habits creeping in :-( (Stuck)!

Options
arh0317
arh0317 Posts: 33 Member
I'm nervous that I'm seeing some old habits coming back and my thinking isn't helping matters by allowing to give in! Started at 286, now at 211. Feeling stuck where I'm at and want to keep going! I find myself eating more and not so great choices, hence the giving in. Struggling with protein and I've tried soooo many options. I know without a doubt that I need to exercise, but I just can't make myself! I'm well aware of easy things to do and I still don't do them. Frustrated there's not more support from my Dr. office. I'm not impressed with their office at all. Maybe some encouragement would help :-/

Replies

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You can make this work if you want to. Just remember where you were pre-surgery and how you got there. Letting yourself go back to your old habits will most surely put you back towards the weight you started at. You don't want that. Go back to the mindset and habits you had right after surgery. Start your exercise by doing something for 15-20 minutes per day and then build up from there every week. Just don't give up and don't give in. You don't need your doctor's office to tell you what to do, because you already know it. Put your mind and heart to it and you will be successful.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Like loriloftness said, go back to what you know. Back to basics. Plan your day and just go on auto-pilot to follow it through --- don't let yourself sabotage you. Remember the reasons why you are doing this --- think of how it feels as you get healthier and stronger. You CAN do this!!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My Bariatric program gives out a big binder of information at the orientation meeting. Others in our support group have suggested to go back and reread all of the information when you are struggling. It will reinforce the reasons we took this step and hopefully the habits that we may be straying away from. I am due for a rereading myself. If you have a similar information source, read through it again.

Getting back into the groove is well within your powers. You can do this!

Rob
  • PeggyF1
    Options
    I have found that if I plan my menu on MFP as soon as I wake up in the morning it really helps. I can stick to my plan & I don't have to go thru the day trying to figure out what to eat as I go. My motto is " A goal without a plan, is just a wish!" Hope this helps.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 386 to 222 at my lowest, not to goal yet, but unwilling to be done either. The last few months I saw a 10 pound regain and now am bouncing between 225 and 230. The regain came because I allowed myself to go back to old, bad eating habits. Yes I still can't eat much at once and I was staying within calorie goals most days, but I was eating crap and not getting my protein or water in. It's amazing how a couple of bad days can morph into several weeks and a 10 pound gain. So, I'm back to basics, planning my food for the day, working hard to get the protein and water in each day, trying to exercise more (I hate exercise), etc.

I know you are discouraged, but you can do this. It's not easy, but it's so worth it. You don't need your doctor's office to fix the problem because you have the tools to do that for yourself. You know what to do, just like I do. It's up to us to do the work to make the weight loss happen. Again, you can do this. Me too. Hang in there and stay in touch. Let's help each other get back on track and stay there.

Pat
  • arh0317
    Options
    Thanks. I seriously doubt that I "want" to give up and go backwards nor is it that "I don't want to" keep on. It's a real struggle! I hear of other people with more support and tips though, and I think that'd be very helpful. I'm just really tired of trying to get protein. I do not feel like exercising. That's the reality no matter how much I tell myself I need it. Good thing I'm still doing small portions. As far as the doctor's office goes, no they can't do it for me, just some support...that's more of what I think would help.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    For protein: Find a new fav. I LOVE PowerCrunch bars. They don't have the protein of a Quest, but are a WAY better alternative than other "sweets", taste like a cookie and have 13g of protein. My other "go to" protein is a scoop of whey (choc or vanilla) with a dash of cinnamon in my coffee. When it's not there, I actually miss it! Just a couple of ways to sneak in protein. Also, I invest in protein enriched foods like P28 bread, (google it) or any of the high protein pastas available in the grocery store. This way when I DO make a "carbier" choice, it's never at the expense of protein. As far as exercise goes, I actually miss it whe I don't get it these days, (been sick this week and skipped today, feel bleh), but what helps motivate me is to have my stationary bike in front of my big screen and save something I really want to watch either in the DVR or Netflix for exercise time. A really addictive series will help bounce me out of bed day after day when I want to know what happens next!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "motivation" ideas for when I dont want to exercise... dont think of it as "exercise" or a "work out"... think of it as "recess" :) You do NOT have to dedicate a certain amount of time every day doing something you dont like. Find a kid or a friend and go play ping pong or pool somewhere (the rec center near me has it for free). Its amazing how much you have to move for those. Play twister or badminton or get a Wii (any game, does not have to be "fitness" related - the fishing game will work). Go to the mall and window shop. Go to a playground and swing. Even playing cards works - if you pick a fast game (google "SPeed card game" - there is one I played as a kid that is like that - you cant eat while playing it!)
    -
    - The idea is to move more throughout the WHOLE day. Not just a "real" workout. You can easily burn a few hundred more calories over the course of the day simply by getting up more often and moving around doing ANYTHING. Its called "NEAT" - non exercise activity or something like that. Its the calories you burn above and beyond the "coma" BMR but not specific to workouts. Its the difference between a day where you lay on the couch for 8 hours watching a show marathon, and 8 hours of grocery shopping and running errands. It adds up!
    -
    - Get a fitbit or other pedometer. Wear it for a week and just record your daily steps. Average it for the week. Spend the next week trying to beat the previous weeks average. By any amount at all. That could be just going to a bathroom slightly farther away than the one you usually use at work (I have been known to walk three buildings over to the farthest bathroom I can find just for the excuse). Start small. Get your daily NEAT up, and yes - work up to "real' exercise (still make it fun - biking, hiking, kickboxing, advanced ping pong - try them all til you find one you love!). Try geocacheing - like hiking but with a purpose and fun if you have someone else into it. Keep looking and trying things at least once til you hit one that makes you think "I *like* this!" then go for it!
    -
    Dont set yourself up to fail by putting yourself in the mindset that you have to make yourself do something you already decided you dont want to. Spend that energy coming up with a list of things you LIKE to do, no matter how small. Keep the list on the fridge or your phone and add to it all the time. When you start to go sit on the couch, look at the list and tell yourself I only have to do one of them for 5 minutes and go do it - more than likely you wont quit after 5 minutes.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think everybody has given you great advise on here, if you take it is up to you. You know what needs to be done, now you just need to get it done.
    Sometimes tough love is what is called for, you are a grown women, you made the choice to have the surgery, you knew it was going to be work, that you would have to concentrate on your protein, now it is time to put your big girl panties on and get busy living life!
    You can do anything you set your mind to if you want it bad enough.
    I wish you all the best!

P.S. I am not being a *kitten*, just figured it did not need to be sugar coated. :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    arh0317 wrote: »
    Thanks. I seriously doubt that I "want" to give up and go backwards nor is it that "I don't want to" keep on. It's a real struggle! I hear of other people with more support and tips though, and I think that'd be very helpful. I'm just really tired of trying to get protein. I do not feel like exercising. That's the reality no matter how much I tell myself I need it. Good thing I'm still doing small portions. As far as the doctor's office goes, no they can't do it for me, just some support...that's more of what I think would help.

Let me tell you I totally get the not wanting to exercise thing! I hate to exercise. I walk on my lunch hours during the work week and try and get in a walk even if it's shopping on the weekends, but I don't have money for a gym or a class. I'm not motivated because I don't like it. Now understand, I'm not making excuses here, like you, it's my reality. I've heard a thousand times to find something you enjoy and you will want to exercise. Truth is, I am lazy and would rather sit and read a book or work on a craft than get up and do something so I haven't even really tried to find something I enjoy. Well until a couple of days ago that is. I am determined to get below 200 pounds and I know I need to up the exercise or it's not going to happen. So in an effort to add more exercise to my life I made the effort to look for something I enjoy and tried a recumebnt bike. I had a blast! I rode their track for only 10 minutes, but I felt like I could have gone on for hours! I think I might have stumbled onto my "something you enjoy"! I can't afford the bike anymore than I can the gym, but I really want to ride, so I will figure out a way to afford this. My point? Find something you enjoy doing and you might surprise yourself.

Also, that support you want? I'm sorry you don't feel like you're getting it from your doctor. But you can get it here. We are a great bunch for supporting and encouraging each other.

• arh0317
    Options
    bikrchk wrote: »
    For protein: Find a new fav. I LOVE PowerCrunch bars. They don't have the protein of a Quest, but are a WAY better alternative than other "sweets", taste like a cookie and have 13g of protein. My other "go to" protein is a scoop of whey (choc or vanilla) with a dash of cinnamon in my coffee. When it's not there, I actually miss it! Just a couple of ways to sneak in protein. Also, I invest in protein enriched foods like P28 bread, (google it) or any of the high protein pastas available in the grocery store. This way when I DO make a "carbier" choice, it's never at the expense of protein. As far as exercise goes, I actually miss it whe I don't get it these days, (been sick this week and skipped today, feel bleh), but what helps motivate me is to have my stationary bike in front of my big screen and save something I really want to watch either in the DVR or Netflix for exercise time. A really addictive series will help bounce me out of bed day after day when I want to know what happens next!

Thanks! Sounds great!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I hear you about the struggle-- I do... but it really comes down to the question "What am I committed to?". If I say I am committed to weight loss, but don't do what I need to for the weight to come off.... well, that doesn't really make sense...And for me, there is a BIG difference between what I WANT and what I am committed to. I want weight loss, but I have to be committed to it in order to do what it takes to get it. Lots of support and good stuff in this community- jump in and enjoy! :)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm just really tired of trying to get protein. I do not feel like exercising.

I get this because I was thinking the same thing the other day. I wanted to eat something other than protein. I think it was more than I find myself eating the same protein alot and I need to find a way to diversify my protein sources. I met with my NUT yesterday and she told me I also need to worry less about my protein and work more at diversifying my whole diet to get more veggies in and even some fruit--otherwise she said I will get sick of it and start to make bad choices. Not to say that protein isn't still #1 and I still need to get 60-70g in per day, but just not to be so focused/stressed about it. I also understand the exercise piece because like Pat, I would rather do almost anything (except a trip to the dentist) than exercise. As Thaeda said, when we have the surgery we are making a commitment to our health and I recognize that as part of this commitment, I have to exercise at least 3-4 times per week. I hope you don't think we aren't supporting you, because we are. We want you to do the best you can do and hopefully nudge you in the direction that you know you need to go.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Frustrated there's not more support from my Dr. office. I'm not impressed with their office at all. Maybe some encouragement would help :-/
    Just wondering, as you are not the first person to say this type of thing, What kind of support and encouragement from your Dr's office are you looking for?
    To be honest, sometimes I just want someone else to " give me all the answers" so that I don't need to get out of my comfort zone and push myself to do what I already know needs to be done. My Bariatric Center has given me the tools to take control and change my life. They have made it very clear that the ball is now in my court. They are there to answer any questions or help when needed, but reality is that I am just one of many starting this journey. There is no way they have enough time or staff to reach out to me and hold my emotional hand through this. My dream world would have a personal coach assigned to just me. One who would tell me exactly what to do and how to do it, and work out right along side me, all while holding my emotional hand too!! Lol
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Frustrated there's not more support from my Dr. office. I'm not impressed with their office at all. Maybe some encouragement would help :-/
    Just wondering, as you are not the first person to say this type of thing, What kind of support and encouragement from your Dr's office are you looking for?
    To be honest, sometimes I just want someone else to " give me all the answers" so that I don't need to get out of my comfort zone and push myself to do what I already know needs to be done. My Bariatric Center has given me the tools to take control and change my life. They have made it very clear that the ball is now in my court. They are there to answer any questions or help when needed, but reality is that I am just one of many starting this journey. There is no way they have enough time or staff to reach out to me and hold my emotional hand through this. My dream world would have a personal coach assigned to just me. One who would tell me exactly what to do and how to do it, and work out right along side me, all while holding my emotional hand too!! Lol

My program has three separate support groups. One is led my the nutritionist, one by the psychologist aimed at pre and new post folks, and one is led by the psychologist aimed at relapse prevention. I attend the nutritionist and new psych ones. They are great sources to see new pre-op folks coming through for the mandatory weigh ins, and recently post-surgery folks (like me) to discuss what is challenging us, working for us, etc.

If you can find a support group near you (OP, Lori, or anyone), that may provide some of the support you are looking for. I believe that Support groups are a requirement of the Bariatric Center of Excellence certification. Perhaps find the nearest one to you, even if it is not where you had your surgery. I am sure my support group wouldn't turn away (or even necessarily know) someone who didn't have their surgery through the program.

Rob
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    bikrchk wrote: »

Thanks! Sounds great!

Definitely look at those PowerCrunch bars! THe vanilla and wild berry are my faves, but the chocolate mint is like a girl scout cookie.

Some other tricks for getting more protein without "feeling" like you are -- I use the Premier Protein vanilla premade shakes from costco (about $22 for 18 of them). Each is 11oz and has 30g protein. I dont drink them - I use them for any place I would normally use milk... Making pancakes, eating a bowl of cereal, oatmeal, hot tea, etc. Once you get used to the sweeter vanilla flavor, its hard to go back anyway. just using 1/3 of a container (about 3-4 oz) in a bowl of cheerios gives me 10g protein. You can make a StarBucks hot milk drink from them even.

For general calorie/carb reduction purposes, I use rice cakes or kim's "magic" pops in place of bread everywhere. I will put Peanut butter (jif whipped - half the calories) and fruit spread with whipped cream on one for a PBJ. I put ham/cheese on one and BBQ sauce or mayo. I put a fried egg and cheese on one. I put tomato sauce and pepperoni and cheese on one for a little pizza. Lower carbs and calories than bread, and I can load up on the toppings (ham/cheese/egg/etc) that have more protein.

Another option if you like it - today I had a Jack Links BeefSteak Jumbo... 120 calories, 23g protein, 3 carbs and a few fat. The KC Masterpiece BBQ ones are yummy too and they keep great in the glove box for a quick snack.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yikes! The last 1/2 of my post is not there! I said some pretty cool stuff too! Never had that happen before. Anyway. I was just trying to find out what kind of support is needed or desired. We are all so different.
    For me its kicks in the pants that help when I fall into a pity party or get lazy. Lol. I dont need any sugar coated warm fuzziness. Some people need softer encouragement. I have a daughter who is totally opposite of me. I know I have to encourage her in different ways than work for me. Blatant truths for me. Subtle, gentle reminders and hints are whats helps her.
    My Bariatric Center does have support groups and lots of resources but you have to seek them out and be forward about what you need.
    This journey is so intensely personal. The outcome is totally dependent on what we are willing to put into it. Ultimately my results will boil down to me, but it truly is great to have this group to share with.
    Hope I too can be an encouragement.
  • arh0317
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions here! !! I do like the power crunch bars! Very good! I'm the type that needs variety and I think that's sometimes my problem. I seem to be craving more and wanting to eat more often and that needs to STOP!

Here are my work badges :1wi5v7kg0cxs.jpg
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Beautiful before and after, but can really see you gorgeous eyes now! :)
  • arh0317
    Options
    Thanks! :D