Paleoful Brownie Mix Review

Options
Ok, you guys! I have to tell you about some brownies I made, from MIX! It was from a company called Paleoful & they are are amazing (and husband approved!). The baked up chewy, and delicious. I have recently had to change to a very restrictive eating plan, and so these are awesome as a treat every other month or so to keep me focused. As always, Paleo treats are still *treats* but if you're not a baker and looking to satisfy your sweet tooth with a healthy alternative, I definitely recommend this company! We ordered their cookie mixes too (one with almond flour and one with sunflower flour in case you can't do nuts!) and I will be happy to report here (and on my instagram @ theyoungretiree).

The MIX is dairy free, grain free, gluten free, no preservatives, non GMO, and Vegan. You just add pure maple syrup, milk (soy, almond, cow- whatever you want) and vanilla (optional) and bake.
Ingredients: almond flour, organic cocoa powder, organic coconut sugar, chocolate chips, ground flaxseed meal, baking soda, and sea salt.

We've already placed our order for more! They ship super quickly and EVERYWHERE. We got them overseas (APO) in about 10 days. Happy paleo baking!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Advertising? Cuz what paleo person thinks "vegan" is a plus? Or uses soy milk?

I'm happy for you that you found brownies you like but processed food is still processed food. Advertising doesn't fly all that well in this group. Thanks.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Advertising? Cuz what paleo person thinks "vegan" is a plus? Or uses soy milk?

I'm happy for you that you found brownies you like but processed food is still processed food. Advertising doesn't fly all that well in this group. Thanks.

:)
  • TheYoungRetiree
    TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow, sorry. I'm absolutely not advertising, just sharing something I found that we really liked! I used almond milk in it, not soy milk... I just kind of copied what they said you could use not even thinking about how no one in here would use it.

While yes, processed food is still processed food I know I still make things that are sometimes easier to have the convenience of being prepackaged/processed. We're not paleo perfectionists in my household and I know there are others out there that aren't. When it comes to new products on the market I always worry about spending money on an item not knowing how it can turn out, so I just thought I'd share for those interested.

If sharing found items that we enjoy is not allowed or wanted in this group I will definitely refrain from doing so in the future.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing then. Copying their text did make it sound like marketing, but that's why they write things that way.

Please share away.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Providing the brand name in the title, and the way the entry read, sounded like marketing which has happened here before.

My bad for misunderstanding.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I like a paleo treat now and again. I've been trying to do mug cookies or mug cakes but they aren't the most delicious. I'm definitely going to look this up thanks!
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I made Paleo Brownies yesterday - something that I rarely do: making paleo treats. But I had all the ingredients for this recipe and decided what the heck. They are pretty tasty, though I *accidentally* used double the baking soda and they are a bit fluffier than they are supposed to be. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
    1/2 (52 g) cup coconut flour
    1/2 cup (40 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    5 large eggs
    3/4 cup (240 g) maple syrup or honey
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/3 cup melted unsalted butter, ghee, or coconut oil
    2 tablespoons of coconut milk or other milk

Method
    Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C or gas mark 4).
    Whisk the coconut flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder until they are well blended.
    In a separate bowl mix the eggs, maple syrup, butter, milk, and vanilla until well blended.
    Combine the cocoa mixture and egg mixture and blend well with a mixer or food processor. I let my mixer do it’s thing for a few minutes. Let the batter sit for a few minutes and mix once more.
    Line the bottom of a baking pan with parchment paper or grease it generously. Grease the sides as well and use a spatula to scoop the batter into the pan.
    Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the brownies comes out clean (soft but not sticking to the toothpick). Brownies are always better a bit moister than drier.
    Cool fully before slicing. These actually taste even better the second day. Store sealed for a few days at room temperature, or in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe, Ortega. I especially like that it's nut free. Gonna try it on Sunday.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Sorry, YoungRetiree, that you got ruffled. I understand your excitement over the product, especially if you're overseas, in an area where the ingredients might be hard to get individually. It's not just what you posted, it's people who have posted before you, all enthused about their new "paleo" discovery -- that isn't. Something like, "I just found the most wonderful recipe for paleo Cracker Jack! You use organic corn and agave syrup..." and you hate to burst their bubble and tell them neither corn nor agave fits the word "paleo" (so why even use it?) -- except you feel like you have to say something lest they lead other newbies astray.

And it matters, because for some of us it is deadly serious. Grains and sweeteners cripple me, for example. I'm glad people here were direct, and told me what worked for them, and that things like almond flour should be used in moderation or not at all if you're struggling with autoimmune issues.

So, some people will welcome the endorsement,while others will feel constrained to offer a note of wwarning for newbies who are still figuring all this stuff out.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    To add to what I so laboriously typed out on my phone last night... It irks me when people try paleo, at least what they understand is paleo, or what they're told is paleo, in order to lose weight or deal with health problems, and then they fail, and they then tell everyone that paleo is just a fad, that there's nothing to it, that it doesn't work, just like all those other quack remedies out there. And then, talking to them, you find out that they were making lots of paleo desserts, and "paleo" approximations of the foods they left behind (pancakes, bread, cinnamon rolls, fudge, brownies, cookies, etc.)... Lots of almond flour (nuts may be okay in moderation, but the amount of almond flour in paleo baked goods is troublesome), lots of honey or maple syrup or other "natural" sweeteners (sugar is sugar).

If I hadn't eliminated nightshades (part of autoimmune paleo protocol), I might have called paleo a "fail", myself. It wasn't just eliminating grains, for me, though that helped.

I'm not saying everyone has to eliminate nightshades or they'll "fail". I don't consider myself a "paleo nazi". But I am concerned by the convenience foods I'm seeing, popping up in the store, and the e-books I'm seeing on Amazon, with "paleo" plastered all over them, and yet they contain high levels of nuts, sugars (even honey and maple syrup and date syrup and the like are *sugar* to our bodies) and soy and other dubious things. Paleo *is* a fad. People are jumping into a prime market, looking for a profit.

Buyer beware.
  • homesweeths
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I guess what I meant to say above, is that paleo *is* a fad, or at least marketers, manufacturers, and advertisers consider it a fad and are out to make money on it. It's the same kind of deceptive marketing we saw in the past, during the low-fat fad, where they took the fat out of things like cookies, adding extra sugar to make up the taste. (Mmm, SnackWells Devil's Food cookies. I used to love those things.) Yes, they were labeled low-fat. Were they a healthy choice, as their marketing implied?

I have seen e-books with "paleo" in the title that include among their ingredients soy, corn, peas, peanuts, and quinoa, just for starters. Really?

But it doesn't have to be a fad. There are very real, documented benefits to eating according to "paleo" guidelines as laid out by people like Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson and others I can't name off the top of my head.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Thanks, homesweeths, for saying in detail why some of us, like me, get our knickers in a knot due to product endorsements or promoting Paleo substitutes. I have the same frustration with people who "do" Paleo and then it failed and they bash it at every chance they get.... and it's almost always due to what you mentioned. Paleo has become the latest marketing fad and I think that those products should be avoided just as any other processed foods.

• ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    There is a certain "paleo" person who has apps and cookbooks and I followed for a while on Instagram until I realized that *everything* he posts is a Paleo-fied treat: cakes, cookies, desserts... All. The.Time. I no longer follow him. I agree that people need to stop Paleo-fying the foods they used to eat (i.e. paleo pancakes), and just eat real food ... it's about changing your eating paradigm.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Well, I just finished a Fruttare cherry ice bar, which is definitely not Paleo, but it certainly hit the spot. So it's not about being a complete perfectionist (although I do try to aim at 95% most of the time). Today I was closer to 80%, and yet I am feeling completely satisfied, and it was mostly healthy (there was some sugar added to the Fruttare, but my carbs are still at 50g for the day, and the carb count for the Fruttare was surprisingly low).

We are going out tonight to a social event where there will be all kinds of yummy snack foods, but I feel fortified, somehow.
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I tried to offer a friendly word of advice to a "paleo" person who was eating 3 servings of paleo treat baked goods a day and they flipped out on me. I try to keep my mouth shut now. I really just want to help and I realize people could give a crap less what I have to say about anything so I try to not offer much until asked. Some people can be so hurtful in their disrespectful remarks so I tread lightly online.
  • snappy36
    snappy36 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Snappy 17, I want to say thank you. It brought on a lot of conversation that is very helpful.
    I'm a newbie also and have just found this page. I can choose the knowledge they impart
    or not as I see fit. Thanks again.