Some good progress news today :)

Options
ritan7471
ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
So today I went for my first follow-up appointment after my diagnosis back in September. I should have gone at the end of December, but didn't. Anyway, even though my eating was not on track in January, here are some changes:

fasting blood sugar was: 9.3
Is now 6.4

a1c was: 6.6 (after 3 weeks of dietary changes)
is now: 6.0

Other highlights, my liver values are much, much better. I've cut those readings by 2/3 in one case and 60% in another.

I've lost about 10kg

Interestingly some of my cholesterol values have gone up instead of down. But I made carbs and processed food my first concern, and not been worrying so much about fat in my food. Does anyone have any thoughts about that? Can I expect those values to work themselves out or should I go low-fat?

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Sounds like you've been doing a great job! I wouldn't go lowfat. I think those values will work themselves out.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    ritan7471 wrote: »
    So today I went for my first follow-up appointment after my diagnosis back in September. I should have gone at the end of December, but didn't. Anyway, even though my eating was not on track in January, here are some changes:

fasting blood sugar was: 9.3
    Is now 6.4

a1c was: 6.6 (after 3 weeks of dietary changes)
    is now: 6.0

Other highlights, my liver values are much, much better. I've cut those readings by 2/3 in one case and 60% in another.

I've lost about 10kg

Interestingly some of my cholesterol values have gone up instead of down. But I made carbs and processed food my first concern, and not been worrying so much about fat in my food. Does anyone have any thoughts about that? Can I expect those values to work themselves out or should I go low-fat?

Absolute cholesterol values in themselves are of little value. The really important things to focus on are your ratios ie total chol/ trig and hdl/ldl/ The basic ideal would be to try and increase HDL and reduce Trigs. Higher fats are only problematic if your carbs are also high because higher carbs tend to block the metabolism of fat. I hope this makes sense.
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The ratios are not improving though my triglicerides are within normal range. The occupational health care doctor will call me on Monday to discuss the results further. I know he will be concerned about the cholesterol but the other numbers are so greatly improved that I'm hoping all will go well.

I was diagnosed when my employer's required 40 year checkup came around. The health care is free though insurance doesn't seem to cover strips here if you're not taking meds for diabetes. I'm really glad for this system because I doubt I would have gone to the doctor on my own even though I knew something wasn't right.

A friend of mine has a master's in public health with a focus on getting patients to adhere to diabetes prevention and treatment, so I discussed my labs with her and she said to get more exercise, which I haven't done enough of yet. She is not too concerned with the numbers because she said they can rise when you radically change your diet and lose weight.

It was great to find this group though I'm not very active. I do lurk though :)
  • AarchAngel
    AarchAngel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Comedian Gabriel Iglesias is type 2, and said he still eats fast food burgers, just without bread, he reasons that diabetes would kill him in 2 years according to Dr, but cholesterol would take 10, so he's ahead by 8.

High cholesterol is bad, but you have more time to get it regulated, you'll get it down.
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are making progress. Sounds like you are on the right track!
    However, you also may need to make a few more changes to your diet. For example, instead of that cheeseburger, try some ground beef, no cheese, on top of fresh spinach. Low fat cheese, non dairy milk or low fat.
    You don't have to go all fat free, or go extremely low fat, but I also doubt your numbers will work themselves out. You gotta keep working on it as you have been so that you don't encounter new problems down the road.
    High cholesterol may be less aggressive, but eventually it ends up causing major damage.
    Skinnytaste.com has great recipes that you can modify a bit to your carb and fat needs.
    I'm still work in progress, but I've lost some weight and I've lowered my glucose with just some lifestyle changes without medication. My husband has had high triglycerides, cholesterol and prediabetis, and is now normal on all those with only diet changes.
    I wish you good luck and keep up the good work ;)