Starting low carb.....need help

Options
idabug3
idabug3 Posts: 43 Member
I have begun eating low carb and really liking it so far. My problem is, how do I count carbs? I want to keep them between 18-22 carbs a day but because I'm not sure how to count them. I don't know if I am keeping within that range, any suggestions?

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Have you started doing a food diary idabug? That will show you your carbs as you make each entry through the day. You can see mine from yesterday (my time) myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/GrannyMayOz?date=2015-02-20 and see that each meal has a subtotal of macronutrients, and then there's a total at the end of the day. Congrats on your low carb decision. I've been loving it for 4 weeks so far!
  • idabug3
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That's wonderful, Granny! I'm so happy for you. I WILL keep my diary, but do you measure all the carbs you eat? I mean by weight, cup, etc?
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Yes I do measure them all. Just until I get a feel for the portion sizes, which is happening quite quickly, I can now cut 25g of cheese from the block within a margin of 1g LOL Because of my age and gender I'm having to count calories as well; weight just doesn't seem to fall off of post menopausal ladies the way it does everyone else, but I feel healthier and have definitely lost fat even if the scales aren't moving.
  • idabug3
    Options
    So good to know. I guess I will start weighing and measuring too. I know what you mean about post menopause, it doesn't help. I've only been doing this two weeks but like you, I feel so much better. The weight zipped off week #1 but this last week not so much. Thanks for the help. :)
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    No worries idabug. If you feel like it there's a thread for 50s+ ladies (or those close enough) and the special challenges that we face to get the weight moving.
  • idabug3
    Options
    I joined that group a while back. Good info! Love your profile pic, funny.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Thanks yes, I liked the joke too. Considering that if my husband sees me step on the scales he pretends to be them and says "Oooofff, get off!" He can run very fast by the way ;)

I didn't know about a 50s+ group, I was only meaning a single thread in this group community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10089227/over-50s-ladies-our-special-needs#latest

Do you know where I'll find the group for 'us'?