Low cal coffee?

Options
Heya, I'm not a great fan of black coffee, find it way too strong. I used to love tons of sugary mochas and lattes with syrup and stuff but now need to find low calorie coffees that still taste good! Any suggestions?:)

Replies

• ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    A couple suggestions would be slowly cutting back on the amount of syrup, switching to nonfat milk and no whip cream (of course). You could also try flavored coffees. My husband used to put horrific amounts of sugar in his coffee, but we switched to a brew of half regular coffee and half flavored coffee and he doesn't feel the need to make the coffee as sweet. The flavor is already there in the beans and the roasts are usually light so the coffee is not as strong.

A final option would be to stop drinking coffee entirely or switch to tea. Save coffee for special occasions if you are not terribly dependent on the caffeine.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I started drinking STASH chai tea with splenda and ALPINE spiced apple cider, sugar free. Not a replacement by any stretch of the imagination, but it's making me happy. I am also looking at making flavored coffee with splenda or stevia and putting the low calorie flavored creamer in it. I hope you find something.
  • racharoo10
    racharoo10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I've been taking a sip or two my coffee before I put my creamer in. I can now drink a whole cup of black coffee and actually enjoy it.
  • AvidAdrienne
    AvidAdrienne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I made the difficult switch from my syrupy lattes to black coffee last year... I found that drinking black coffee ICED helped me tremendously in making the switch, it's not a strong. I really love cream in my coffee, so I switched to nonfat milk, then slowly tapered off the milk until I was just drinking black iced coffee. Good luck!
  • im_simply_karen
    im_simply_karen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I put an 4oz cup of 0% milk (40 cal) and a dash of cocoa powder in mine (about 10 cal)
  • crazymommy5
    crazymommy5 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love the sugar free/fat free creamers that they have in the markets. Sometimes I also add some vanilla soymilk or cashew milk to my coffee. It adds the creaminess, sweetness but very few calories or sugar. Just make sure to measure your portions. One tablespoon only goes so far. I've become accustomed to drinking my coffee much less sweeter than I did in the past. Good luck!
  • drgreen5555
    drgreen5555 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you like cinnamon you can add a dash and some cocoa powder and splenda and 2% milk.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love a sweet coffee as well .... I use two stevia packets in mine and use the fat free/sugar free creamers made my International Delight ... it comes in at 15 calories a TB.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I worked at Starbucks for 4 years so I feel you on all the sugary lattes and what not. At some point when I started losing weight I got really into learning the differences between all the types of coffee that they make. As it turns out, black coffee does have a flavor! It's an aquired taste for some but it can be pretty fun. I will always recommend just drinking straight black coffee. Brewed from a machine is never very flavorful but purchasing a french press always makes it taste better. If the flavor of black doesn't agree with you try putting cinnamon, nutmeg or some other powdered spice in it. A dash of almond milk with a TINY bit of cinnamon/sugar mixture can make for a great coffee!
  • kristinjkuehn
    kristinjkuehn Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Add Splenda, fat free whipped cream, FF/SF creamers & cinnamon!! Almond milk is good too
  • saratague
    saratague Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been really liking some coffee and instead of my normal "Caramel syrup" I add some almond milk and splenda.
  • stephyjostewart
    stephyjostewart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of the year I gave up coffee for this exact reason! I switched to the Celestial Seasonings Fruit Tea Sampler and it has saved me so many calories! I don't even need sugar in it. Also I fill a cup with ice and pour the hot tea over for a no calorie iced tea. Recently I found Silk Almond Milk CREAMER, I am so excited. Only 20 calories per Tbsp and it doesn't contain too many nasty chemicals.
  • mandakw55
    mandakw55 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Dark Chocolate almond milk!! I have been mixing some of that into my coffee... delicious!
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Totally related - used to have venti frappuccinos every morning! After beginning with MFP came to the disturbingly shocking realization that I was pretty much downing 500 calories just in a drink! Not to mention the added breakfast sandwiches... Ignorance is bliss until you realize you're over 200lbs and not sure how you got there!

I tried giving up coffee but I just can't do it. Now I have a tall nonfat iced vanilla latte instead. It's my morning treat I get to have as reward for getting up at 4am and helps boost my cardio workout once I get to the gym. I know it's still not the best choice and other posters have much better ideas, but that's what I do. I can work around the 120 calories by adjusting my daily intake.
  • birdstudios
    birdstudios Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I second the almond milk!

For cold coffees, freeze some almond milk (only around 40 calories per cup) and blend with freshly brewed, cooled coffee and vanilla stevia drops, or cooled black chai tea. Add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to the coffee version for a mocha. If you don't like the stevia aftertaste, a dried date added the blender is an amazing sweetener.

I add vanilla or chocolate protein powder to my coffee shakes too.
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This was a tough issue for me as well. I like a little coffee with my fat free hazelnut coffeemate creamer - that stuff is like liquid crack! But, as of the last couple weeks, I'm now down to regular fat free creamer (only 10 cal. per tablespoon). Working my way towards no creamer and I'll possibly have to use at least 1 sugar substitute. With the regular creamer, I've found there's really no need for sugar.
  • LH8D
    LH8D Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 1-2 coffees a day with sugar and cream. I had to quite coffee cold turkey. I haven't had coffee in over 2 months now and I actually feel pretty good. I drink tea instead and use liquid stevia and almond milk. You could try unsweetened vanilla flavoured almond milk and stevia in your coffee and I am sure it will taste delicious! :-)
  • dakmum
    dakmum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    LH8D wrote: »
    I used to drink 1-2 coffees a day with sugar and cream. I had to quite coffee cold turkey. I haven't had coffee in over 2 months now and I actually feel pretty good. I drink tea instead and use liquid stevia and almond milk. You could try unsweetened vanilla flavoured almond milk and stevia in your coffee and I am sure it will taste delicious! :-)

• dakmum
    dakmum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dowe egberts do a caramel flavor instant coffee