Feeling sick after long runs..

Options
Does anyone else feel really ill after long runs? Last week after my 9 mile long run I felt almost hungover... I wanted to throw up, had a headache, and was super cold. This week after 10 miles it was the same. Not sure what to blame for the problem or if this is normal? Last time I trained for a marathon I don't remember feeling this way.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How are you fueling? What is your long run pace relative to your marathon pace?
  • samrunsfast
    samrunsfast Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My long run pace is about 11 minutes per mile. I ran a marathon 2 years ago and it was the same pace. (pretty slow I know) And I usually eat a cliff bar a couple hours before running. (in the morning)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I usually get cold because my sweat is drying, so I try to change clothes ASAP when I get home. Normally I don't totally warm up until I've showered though. Does it feel like you're just cold or like you're getting chills like you're sick?

I also used to get awful headaches after long runs, and I would take ibuprofen when I got home to avoid it, but that's awful for your liver. Now I make sure that after a long run I drink a 16 or 20 oz Gatorade (I like the G2 stuff that has waaaay less calories, but still lots of sodium) as well as a glass of chocolate milk, some water, and a cup of coffee (or else that headache is a caffeine headache). That may seem like a lot of fluids, but I managed to do 18 and 20 mile runs without the post-run headache last summer by coming home from runs and having 4 drinks in front of me while eating a giant plate of eggs.

Less experienced with the nausea though. Maybe someone else here will have better insight into that!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get a headache after a long run. Typically it's when the temps are up a good bit. It's dehydration I'm sure. As mentioned above I try to get plenty of fluids right after and that seems to help or at least make it a minimal headache.
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    the stomach aches happen if I'm running them too fast

The cold happens if I dont change into warm clothes and shower within a few min of finishing
  • samrunsfast
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try changing clothes right after and drinking a lot of fluids to see if that helps! :)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I used to feel just awful after long runs, particularly longer races. A half marathon could do me in for the rest of the day. I'm fairly certain I was mostly dehydrated - I used to drink just plain water, thinking that "electrolyte replacement" beverages were too fancy/technical for me. When I shifted into marathon training, I read this article http://running.competitor.com/2014/08/nutrition/stomach-issues-and-dehydration_77563 and realized that maybe they were for me after all. ;) Now I drink Nuun on my long runs and make sure to bring some snacks. Helps a bunch.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    +1 for dry clothes as soon as you can. I get chills and very cold if I stay in wet clothes, even after a summer run. Also, +1 to drinking water. I dry to drink a 20oz bottle of water in the next 30 minutes after my done. It also helps me controlling post run hunger.

Good luck, and keep us posted :smile:
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start taking some gels or beans and hydrate during your runs.
  • samrunsfast
    Options
    I used to drink water with nuun tablets. On Tuesday I'm going to try that plus use cliff gels each hour. I used to do that too. I just don't remember having to do this stuff until my long runs got up to 12 miles or so :/ I will post in this thread again after my long run on Tuesday. Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice! :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Hi, if the cause of your headaches is indeed hydration (which does feel likely I must say), then I would suggest that low levels of hydration during the run might be less at fault than inadequate hydration in the hours (days) leading up to it.

If you are well hydrated (including appropriate electrolytes) you ought to be able to run 10 miles in cool weather without needing to take any water with you.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I can get by without anything for up to 6 miles but over that I need fluids. Over 8 miles I need more than just water. I personally like the Gu Electrolyte Brew Tablets. Some people can go 10 miles or more without fluids or calories, but they're likely running a lot faster than I am so they're also not out there as long.

I was having issues with being cold too and got some great advice. What works best for me is to take off my sweaty clothes right away, make sure I'm completely dry, then put on something else.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Laura6887 wrote: »
    I can get by without anything for up to 6 miles but over that I need fluids. Over 8 miles I need more than just water. I personally like the Gu Electrolyte Brew Tablets. Some people can go 10 miles or more without fluids or calories, but they're likely running a lot faster than I am so they're also not out there as long.

I was having issues with being cold too and got some great advice. What works best for me is to take off my sweaty clothes right away, make sure I'm completely dry, then put on something else.

Not true. I was out for 2.5 hours on Sunday with nothing. If you run faster you WILL need the calories because your body is not burning fat for fuel anymore - it's burning glucose. This is why training runs should mostly be done at an easy pace.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Laura6887 wrote: »

Not true. I was out for 2.5 hours on Sunday with nothing. If you run faster you WILL need the calories because your body is not burning fat for fuel anymore - it's burning glucose. This is why training runs should mostly be done at an easy pace.

I said "some people" not "all people." :smile: Personally after 9 miles with just water I have been crouched by the side of the road with such bad dizzy spells I wondered how I was going to make it home.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel really ill after long runs? Last week after my 9 mile long run I felt almost hungover... I wanted to throw up, had a headache, and was super cold. This week after 10 miles it was the same. Not sure what to blame for the problem or if this is normal? Last time I trained for a marathon I don't remember feeling this way.

Get some Nuun! Drink it before during and after. It should help! I drink it the night before a longer run and then during and after. It has helped my GI issues tremendously.
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »

Get some Nuun! Drink it before during and after. It should help! I drink it the night before a longer run and then during and after. It has helped my GI issues tremendously.

I 2nd this. I was getting headaches after my longer runs last fall. I switched to drinking Nuun on my runs and it has made a huge difference for me.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »

I 2nd this. I was getting headaches after my longer runs last fall. I switched to drinking Nuun on my runs and it has made a huge difference for me.

I can't use Nuun. Nobody is the same.

You need to experiment and find out what works for you :smile:
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Very true - everyone is different with what works for them. I was just concurring that if she hasn't tried it before it might be worth a shot at trying. Or perhaps another hydration drink if Nuun doesn't sit well with her (skratch, G2, etc).
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Very true but the OP won't know until she tries it. It works for a lot of people. But you are right - I can't do Gu, they make me sick. Everyone is different.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The OP's already said she's used Nuun in the past. ;) But certainly it's true that there's no one-size-fits-all for sports nutrition!