I Connected Experiencing Emotions to Wanting To Eat

Options
ncraig627
ncraig627 Posts: 11 Member
I'm having some frustration on a project at work and for the first time since I started this diet...this is day 4. I physically wanted to just go eat. Like cake or cookies or ice cream or chips or fried food. This surprised me because I rarely connect feelings I'm having driving me to eat as a stress reliever. I've always just felt like I "liked" to eat and that emotions didn't have an effect. Surprise!

Replies

• omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The sugar activates a pleasure center in your brain so when you are stressed your body releases cortisol and signals your body to desire sugar.
    I think MFP and logging in your food helps you to disconnect the food from emotion and see food more as nutrition. Also seeking an outlet for your stress that is healthy is helpful.
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I so hear you! I was keen in my first week and prioritized time for myself and working out... then I went back to regular life where I overwork and take care of everyone else's needs first.. result? food..Sensitive? don't want to deal? food yep glad I can get this out on line and connect for support :) good luck
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My worst times are in the evening. I don't even realise I'm 'discontent' or stressed. I just start looking for food to eat. I resist as I'm watching what I eat but hey, the thoughts are still there!
  • jdarcy6870
    Options
    Hang in there! One thing that helps me is to remember that the emotions will dissipate. I just have to allow myself to feel the emotions and remind myself this feeling will stop and I can survive the emotion without stuffing it inside with food.
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    2v7hjknpwzgo.jpg
    vxqujj5nb27q.jpg
    The woman in the right, wearing the white blouse ate when she was unhappy. I ate way too much to the point of illness and would mentally beat myself up after a binge and vow to stop, but I never did. Fast forward 13 years...the woman crouched on the ground still struggles sometimes. But, she has a baby boy she adores, a family that supports her and is at peace with many things from her past. It is something that an emotional eater goes through. Things can change for the better. I am a good ear, if someone should need it. Back then, I did have a really wonderful friend (the lovely blonde in the center), but due to distance, I didn't see her much. If someone out there needs to talk, please contact me. Sometimes, just venting makes the world of difference.
  • djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That's great that you made the connection, anyway.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,217 Member
    Options
    2v7hjknpwzgo.jpg
    vxqujj5nb27q.jpg
    The woman in the right, wearing the white blouse ate when she was unhappy. I ate way too much to the point of illness and would mentally beat myself up after a binge and vow to stop, but I never did. Fast forward 13 years...the woman crouched on the ground still struggles sometimes. But, she has a baby boy she adores, a family that supports her and is at peace with many things from her past. It is something that an emotional eater goes through. Things can change for the better. I am a good ear, if someone should need it. Back then, I did have a really wonderful friend (the lovely blonde in the center), but due to distance, I didn't see her much. If someone out there needs to talk, please contact me. Sometimes, just venting makes the world of difference.

Wow - you are such an inspiration! I know I eat for comfort, and for the wrong reasons. You are proof that we can change. Thank you so much for sharing your picture and your story!