Quick slap or boost - whichever you would like to do!!!

Options
JJA14
JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
Hi all.
I've been an absent friend since my binge last week. Been hitting the bottle all weekend and I know that's the reason I'm feeling low - so low that I'm on the verge of binging again.

To you other emotional eaters - how do you get yourself out of it when you know that's exactly what's happening?

Sorry for the outburst but any help would be appreciated!

Jo

Replies

• BadgerLamb236
    BadgerLamb236 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi Jo, sorry you're having a hard time of it. I've been awol myself due mostly to feeling really shi**y with a virus, but also too much (medicinal!) wine, and am finding it difficult to get back into the groove. I'm planning my first "return" fast day for Wednesday as it is a quiet day and will give me the best chance of succeeding. No real advice to give, just to say I share your pain - but we KNOW we feel better when we fast so we've just got to JFDI!!
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Going through the boards here reassures me that I am not alone,
    I also arrange exercise with friends, I will let myself down easily but its harder to let a friend down, then hopefully having exercised I can refocus, I know exercise makes me feel better mentally and physically but I try to use a few motivational tricks other than the weight, my pool has a frequent flyer ticket but I need to swim 3 or 4 times a week to makeit pay! But life can get in the way and to quote a thread on here "Its not how many times you fall that matters, but how many times you get back up again"
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Any clues to what set it all off?

Don't be too hard on yourself, but try to dust yourself off and start again. One day at a time is what I find best. A bit of exercise also gets me to feel good about myself and gets me back in the groove. Even if it's 'just' a brisk walk in the woods or the sun.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Too much alcohol makes me feel fragile. I'm sure there is a scientific thingie behind it somewhere... But I think the alcohol leaving your system makes us feel sad and emotional and susceptible to *kitten* that makes us feel better. Eg binging.
    If you were here, I'd suggest getting outside in the sun on the beach with a book. Or taking a walk through the bush, listening to the birds and watching the kangaroos lounge around in the sun.
    Know that you are not alone. We have all been there before and will need your words when we are there again. Hugs lovely lady
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in a bad patch. Try to actively think about the reasons why you feel the need to comfort yourself in drink and food. I'm not talking about the "reasoning" or excuses. I mean the root cause of why you try to avoid yourself.

Do you have someone to talk with? If not, write down your life story. 3 times. The whole shebang THREE times. Maybe you discover things about yourself you aren't conscious of.

Try avoid black and white thinking. "oh I already had one glass, might as well finish the bottle or bag of chips or..." Even if you had one or more units, you don't have to dig an even deeper trench. Forgive yourself of your missteps. But don't forget which ones took you to that dark place.

I'm an addict of many things. I speak from my heart.
  • Bookrunner
    Bookrunner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah, being in that zone is no good. I find a couple of sober days combined with exercise has pretty immediate effects. I wake up feeling fresh rather than groggy and working up a sweat makes me feel like I'm getting the toxins out of my body. Even just a good brisk walk can help. Drinking always throws me off my good intentions. I usually try to limit alcohol to the weekends but sometimes that just doesn't work. Sorry to hear you've been struggling.
  • JJA14
    JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies.

I genuinely don't know what kicks it off some times. I have always suffered from depression and mood swings, it got worse after children, and I used to take medication for it. I kicked that out last year when I was feeling healthier. I sometimes think I still need meds, but I hate them. I know that exercise, sunshine and +ve thought are so much better for me than drugs...The problem is getting to the point you can look after yourself when you're (to put it mildly) 'down in the dumps'.

Anyway, woke up this morning with a clearer head - the cloud has lifted enough to start afresh I think. I have a full day at work (a job I love) so I am hopeful that I will be back on track and back with you all - for another few weeks at least!

Heartfelt thanks for replying.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Excellent! JJA - do you run? I have read articles, that running can be effective against depression. I know getting up and starting anything in a low mood is very difficult. But if you get into the habit during a good Phase, maybe you can use it more easily, when you feel a low coming on.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    sending hugs over the ocean and glad to hear that you are feeling more uplifted this morning x
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think we have all been there. Overeating and not sure why. I like to write down my thoughts, whatever comes to mind. Writing slows me down and I often discover things about my behavior as I just do the stream of consciousness thing on paper.

Glad you are feeling better. What you eat is not the sum of who you are.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Reaching out can help and that's what you're doing here. Figure out the trigger and do something nice for yourself that doesn't involve food!
  • BadgerLamb236
    BadgerLamb236 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    I think we have all been there. Overeating and not sure why. I like to write down my thoughts, whatever comes to mind. Writing slows me down and I often discover things about my behavior as I just do the stream of consciousness thing on paper.

Great advice - I keep meaning to start keeping a "journal" and you have convinced me that it is a good idea. Thanks.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »

Great advice - I keep meaning to start keeping a "journal" and you have convinced me that it is a good idea. Thanks.
    B)
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if your system gets really low then the medicine boosts it back up again. I think that some people are affected by the seasons more than others but this is a great place to come to as everyone is so positive. There is no judgement and just somewhere to vent if the need arises. Hope you start to pick up soon. Exercise is a great help but you have to be motivated in the first place.