food intake on resting days

Options
Ever since I have been diligent about working out regularly I find myself a lot hungrier. The frustrating part is I tend to want to eat just as much (if not more) on my resting days. I work out Monday through Friday and rest Saturday and Sunday. I realize ideally my routine break would be in the middle of the week or more spread out, but because of work and my child that is not doable. So instead on my weekends where I am either not working or have shorter shifts I am at home and usually wanting to eat. And these are the days I am not at the gym.
So I need some help.
1. Recommendations for filling but low caloric foods.
2. How do YOU stave off boredom eating?
3. Any at home quick for exercises that you like to help me get in some calorie burning without a trip to the gym?
Thanks!

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    First of all, if you keep to a regular exercise schedule that is consistent from week to week, you might want to look at your average TDEE (total calorie burn for a day) and then just take a deficit from that, and eat that number even on rest days. By taking an average TDEE, you are accounting for both the rest and the exercise days. Take a look at the TDEE calculator for the "in place of a roadmap" group for starters.

1. Filling and lo cal foods: nonfat greek yogurt, white meat chicken, low fat cottage cheese, oats, basically anything higher in protein or fiber.
    2. Boredom eating: that is sooo tough! Working out helps, but your schedule may not permit. I also try to drink water first before eating. Drinking coffe. Or tea helps too.
    3. Most any DVD from Jillian Michaels.
  • DreFitt
    DreFitt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    On rest days, aim for a gallon of water. This helps keep you feeling full and SUPER energized all day. To beat boredom, I tend to deep clean (sneaky calorie burner!) or read up on nutrition and other subjects Im interested in, go on walks, do yoga, paint my nails, etc.

Make sure you are eating protein and a bit of healthy fat in each of your meals. I love egg whites and avo or oatmeal and nut butter, cucumber and avo dip or hummus, apples and high quality cheese, walnuts and grapes, celery and nut butter.

As far as exercise, I do Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide circuit training at home. Choose eight body weight exercises, and split them into two circuits. Do the exercises in each circuit as many times as you can in seven minutes. Do each circuit twice.
    Example for leg day:

C1: (Do each exercise as many times as you can in 7 min.)
    10 squats
    10 walking lunges
    50 mountain climbers
    10 knee ups

C2:
    10 sumo squats
    50 jumping jacks
    10 step ups
    10 walking lunges

Repeat each circuit two times!

• kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I rest on the weekends too but I usually eat about the same or even sometimes more if we go out to eat. It evens out because I'm usually under my goal all week. Boredom eating is tough. I usually just try to find something else to do instead of sitting around. Cleaning is good, shopping if you don't spend too much
  • lifeofagymbunny
    lifeofagymbunny Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1. I always find eating a high protein meal with veggies fills me up sooo much!
    2. Keep busy and motivate yourself by looking at fitness blogs/Instagram. Don't keep 'bad' foods at home so you aren't tempted to eat them and snack on food like nuts or eggs.
    3. I love Billy Blanks Tae Bo workouts at home, you can find them on YouTube.
  • eeilise
    eeilise Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For number 1 and 2, I struggle with these as well, so I am looking for suggestions, too.

But for 3, I like the workouts that are posted on bodyrock.tv (if you can want something that's really going to push you) and on ToneItUp.com (for something less intense, but will definitely still burn).

Best of luck with finding what works!!
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    First of all, if you keep to a regular exercise schedule that is consistent from week to week, you might want to look at your average TDEE (total calorie burn for a day) and then just take a deficit from that, and eat that number even on rest days. By taking an average TDEE, you are accounting for both the rest and the exercise days. Take a look at the TDEE calculator for the "in place of a roadmap" group for starters.

1. Filling and lo cal foods: nonfat greek yogurt, white meat chicken, low fat cottage cheese, oats, basically anything higher in protein or fiber.
    2. Boredom eating: that is sooo tough! Working out helps, but your schedule may not permit. I also try to drink water first before eating. Drinking coffe. Or tea helps too.
    3. Most any DVD from Jillian Michaels.

Yup, second this. Has helped a lot with maintaining my energy levels and such.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think that getting enough protein really does help with the hunger.
    Soup can be filling a low cal, if broth and vegetable based because it supposedly triggers the vegus nerve for feeling full.
    Eggs are good for low-cal, scramble with some veggies or a crustless quiche with 4 eggs, milk and veggies
    Turkey is also a good one-sliced, ground, used in place of ground beef.
    I do think it helps to cycle calories for me, I can do a low-cal fast day (600 cals) but then 2000 the next, so it doesn't feel like deprivation all the time.
    I did the Max30 beachbody workouts and they burn a lot of cals, all are 30 mins no equipment.