Protein Powder

I know there is a previous thread on brands of Protein Powder somewhere here, but I'm not patient enough to look for it.
I'm looking for a flavored protein powder that I could add to decaf coffee, like a good chocolate flavor or hazelnut or something? Or, maybe something that tastes like a (good) mocha that can be added to water? My understanding was that most protein powders cannot be added to a hot liquid? Is there one that can be? I drink crystal light daily but would like to change it up so I don't get bored. Plus, I added unflavored protein powder to my crystal light and I didn't really care for that.

Replies

• boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    I like the nectar wild cherry powder for mixing in water.
    I'm still trying different protein powders to find those i like best. Vitamin Shoppe has a return policy...you try it and don't like it, you can return it.
    While i love chocolate, I hate mocha and coffee so i cant help there.
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    I just typed in "protein powder" under search category, and you're right there are quite a few posts not just from VSGers but MFP too. I did peruse through a few of them and it looks like many ppl use the powder in hot liquids. However the few posts I read didn't state the brand name.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    I just typed in "protein powder" under search

Oh, I didn't even know there was a search function! I guess I should explore a little :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    The trick is to mix the protein powder with room temp water FIRST, like 2-3 oz, then once dissolved mix into the hot water. it just clumps up in hot water.

I used to drink hot tea with opimum nutrition's toffee caramel fudge... I also use Designer Whey white chocolate for the same thing. For both, I use sugar free flavored syrups that coordinate with the flavor (i.e. caramel or white chocolate).
  • aylajane
    Oh also look at the "click" line of coffee flavored protein powders, i dont like coffee myself but people rave about them,
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Not a powder but I use premier protein rtd as coffee creamer. 3 large cups of coffee a day gets me through 1 rtd, which is 30 grams protein. I usually drink at least 2 cups/day (most often decaf) and if I don't do the 3rd I just save the remainder for the next day or use that evening with stash chai tea.
  • aylajane
    weeziebeth wrote: »
    Not a powder but I use premier protein rtd as coffee creamer. 3 large cups of coffee a day gets me through 1 rtd, which is 30 grams protein. I usually drink at least 2 cups/day (most often decaf) and if I don't do the 3rd I just save the remainder for the next day or use that evening with stash chai tea.

I use that in place of milk for everything! A bowl of cereal, oatmeal, pancakes, etc. Anything you would normally use milk in. I go through one or two a day at least :) really adds up!
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Isopure has a Columbian Coffee flavored protein that is fantastic, but/and it has caffeine in it.
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    I also use the premier protein rtd shakes as my creamer. Usually half a shake for my 3-4 cups, then I drink the other half for my breakfast. You can use powder if you mix it with milk first and make a paste out of it, then add it to the coffee. It will blend just find, but it doesn't taste as good to me. Plus it's more work, and before my coffee, I'm usually not in the mood to put in work! Lol
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I take a scoop of protein powder, add a little water, mix until smooth with a fork and that's when I add it to my coffee. Otherwise it tends to clump. I have a vanilla I like and a cappiccino I love with or without the coffee.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    I like the syntax cappucino and gnc amplified 60 chocolate protein. I tend to make ice coffee. I used to like the hot stuff but not since surgery.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    I like Unjury protein powder. It's very smooth and mixes well. Chocolate and vanilla are my faves in coffee. Strawberry is good in smoothies. And they even have chicken broth, which is nice when you want something savory, not sweet.

The magic number for protein in heated liquids is 140 degrees. You can use a food therm. to test it--I got one as part of a sample pack from Unjury. I've found that my keurig makes coffee the perfect temperature to make a protein mocha or latte!