Depressed ? Here's a theory of contributing factor

Options
Foamroller
Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
I'm usually not a big fan of huffingtonpost. For once there was a more sensible article about the relationship between the gut and brain and how that might play a role in depression.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-spector-md/gut-brain-axis_b_6691110.html

It makes kinda sense, really. That since the tummy is the primary place in where to decide whether a food is "friend or foe", the nervecells in this area have to be very finely tuned. You feel it instantly when you test smell a carton of milk gone bad. It's revolting, because it protects us. The research on microbiome is still a very new field, so what we "know" is limited.

From personal experience, what I eat affects my mind and mood, both in good and bad directions.

Replies

• orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I agree...this goes inline with what I read a while back about probiotics and the bacterial makeup in obese people being different than that of healthy people. Another thing I find interesting (yet disgusting) is the work being done in fecal transplantation...yep, that's right...it means taking "stuff" from a healthy person and putting it in that of an unhealthy person. I think this is going to find its way into many treatments in the future...weight loss, immune deficiency, depression, allergies, etc.

Cool stuff, thanks for the article.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yo! @orlcam! What do you know about probiotics- is it something I should be eating to build back up good gut health- or how can I improve? I know fasting has been good in give the gut a bit of a rest, but wondering what else I can do. Last year I got sick more than I have in the past 29 years- stomach flu 2-3 times and food poisoning twice (no seriously- TWICE in 6 months!!!!)- so I still baby my stomach and tend to eat a lot of pasta because it's calming on my stomach and avoid a TON of food (even stuff I used to like) because even thinking of it makes my stomach turn. I'm even really sensitive to smells and I'll get excited to cook something and then won't eat it because of the smell lol.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    They seemed to help, but keep in mind I changed my diet (5:2...started eating greek yogurt) and started supplementing fiber (gummies). When I look back I do think I was in a better frame of mind on them...I went off in December and just started taking them again. Who knows if it is the probiotics...too many variables in the mix, but they haven't hurt me in any way (that I can tell).

After researching I went with Hyperbiotics PRO-15. They are #1 (in probiotics) on amazon...they weren't when I started taking them. I detected no smell and they are time released (shouldn't upset your stomach).

I would say try them and take note of any changes...and let us know too. I'd be interested to learn what others think.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I love probiotics! Started taking them last year and it has been the first winter in a while that I didn't get hit with serious bronchitis or pneumonia. I think my body was missing something. I started with a Wal-Mart brand (Spring Valley) that had a high amount of organisms (10 billion) and went from there. Been so grateful not to be laid up for a couple of weeks this winter.

@thecarbmonster - I can relate with not eating certain foods after getting sick. I remember when I was a kid, home with the stomach flu, my mom gave me Campbell's Chunky Chicken Noodle soup. Tasted so good! Once I was done with the stomach flu, I was done with that soup. Never went back. :dizzy_face:
    Here is a simple article, Going Pro, on probiotics from Costco It got me started. Thought you might like it too.

@orlcam - think I would have to be near death before I would go for the fecal transplant. :flushed:
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! One of my friends/co-workers has been doing Whole 30 and is coming off where they reintroduce foods and it's crazy how everyday foods were having a noticeable affect with sinuses or headaches (for her it was gluten and dairy). I notice with fasting that it really does affect inflammation! I was having bad back pain (after not having it awhile) during NYE-time after eating/slacking off during Christmas and when I keep up my fasting/at least somewhat (I'm a slacker lately haha) that I don't have any! However, I will say when I was eating a TON lately that I would have to take ibuprofen for my knees (which I don't have any real issue with yet) just to take the edge of...different even think of it at the time that it was inflammation from food. Ugh, so crazy!!!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well, according to this Yale study on mostly mice and some men: Fasting, high intensity exercise and ketogenic diet are anti-inflammatory because of BHB, beta hydroxy buterates.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150216131146.htm

So I guess we're on the right track :)

My knees are MUCH better. Last year I couldn't walk for 2 weeks after a cycling marathon 3 hours. This year I could still do more after 4.5 hours! Plus all the other stuff I do like lots of foamrolling helps as well ;)