New to Keto

Options
Hi everyone! This is my first time trying a forum so all help or direction is appreciated. I just started a Keto diet about 5 days ago and I'm not sure what I think about it. I'm hitting my macros and watching calories, but I feel very fluffy, almost like I'm gaining. I haven't stepped on the scale because I'm scared it will say I'm right. Is this normal at first?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My experience so far has been a little atypical, and I went LCHF first, so I've only been keto about 6 days. But yes, this morning I felt kind of swelled, yet weight level is okay. Someone posted a link I read today about this effect, so I would recommend reading most of the posts from this month as you have time. Welcome!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You might check out the launch pad section for some extra reading. When I feel puffy it's because I've retained water either from carbs or sodium. That's me today because I had Chinese yesterday (mostly low carb). It always takes a few days to de-puff. Perhaps your body is getting ready to start flushing things out?
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest opening your diary so we can take a peek. :)
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to tell you... But with 9 lbs to go... I would set my loss to half a pound per week.... Take it slow. Shoot for around a 300 cal per day deficit.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Lots of info here and great people. I'm on my 6th week and feeling great! Ask any questions and read, read, read!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Perhaps I'm weird but I judge by my bangle. It used to only move up and down my arm by about an inch. After 2 days keto it moved a lot further. Then from days 3 to (maybe) 5 it was as tight as it used to be. Now it's loose again - in fact looser than before. So yes, it does seem that we can get puffy for a few days. Hang in there!
  • summersondov
    summersondov Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest opening your diary so we can take a peek. :)

I thought I opened it yesterday, but I just re-did it so it should be accessible now :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Perhaps I'm weird but I judge by my bangle. It used to only move up and down my arm by about an inch. After 2 days keto it moved a lot further. Then from days 3 to (maybe) 5 it was as tight as it used to be. Now it's loose again - in fact looser than before. So yes, it does seem that we can get puffy for a few days. Hang in there!

@GrannyMayOz‌ This does match what my daily weigh ins seem to show too. Up and downs. A nice loss followed by a gain, followed by slower loss. Kind of seems like two steps forward, one step back. As long as it all keeps heading the right direction, that's fine by me! LOL And I LOVE the bangle analogy! Quite the visual.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You'r diary looks spot on. I have just a couple of suggestions.

Suggestion- try and eliminate as much processed food as you can. Swap out your I Can't Believe It's not butter- for actual real butter. Trader Joes has really good prices on Kerrygold. I'd also take a good look at the ingredients in stuff like salad dressings and flatbreads, etc. You could have a sensitivity to something and not really know it. The flat outs have a slew of ingredients that really aren't great for you if you're cleaning up your diet and sticking to a clean keto.

Just my two cents- :) I am sure you'll get lots of great advice- this keto group is a group of the nicest, most helpful bunch on MFP!

• summersondov
    Options
    You'r diary looks spot on. I have just a couple of suggestions.

Suggestion- try and eliminate as much processed food as you can. Swap out your I Can't Believe It's not butter- for actual real butter. Trader Joes has really good prices on Kerrygold. I'd also take a good look at the ingredients in stuff like salad dressings and flatbreads, etc. You could have a sensitivity to something and not really know it. The flat outs have a slew of ingredients that really aren't great for you if you're cleaning up your diet and sticking to a clean keto.

Just my two cents- :) I am sure you'll get lots of great advice- this keto group is a group of the nicest, most helpful bunch on MFP!

Thank you! I do plan on switching to real butter and the flat outs were my last attempt to hold onto my beloved "bread" lol. I've been a vegetarian for 8 years and I've just started adding meat back in to help with the Keto. Eggs all day long are not cutting it! I'm struggling with buying full fat items because of the nutrition mindset I've been in for so long, but I'm breaking it little by little.
  • summersondov
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! :)