Butter Challenge

Options
So I lost Half a lb this week, which I'm not unhappy about, but it got me thinking, what could I be doing better, or what am I not doing that I was before. I feel like I keep my carbs under control pretty well for the most part, but maybe I'm not getting enough fat...

So I had an idea, that I thought about trying, but tell me if it sounds Crazy lol I've seen things online, other keto-ers posting about doing an egg challenge or "egg fast", where they eat nothing but egg dishes for however many days to get their body back into ketosis. But I feel like if I did that there's a chance that when I'd go back to eating other foods, i could go back into not being in Ketosis anymore.

My Idea is a Butter Challenge... basically still eating all the low carb foods that I've been eating, but also incorporate a whole stick of butter into my diet throughout the day. So like drinking my bullet proof coffee in the morning and cooking my eggs with butter for breakfast. Cooking my meats or veggies with butter etc. And just using up a whole stick (which is half a cup) of butter throughout the day.

Does that sound weird? Or like it would be over doing it?

Replies

• sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    honeybe522 wrote: »
    So I lost Half a lb this week, which I'm not unhappy about, but it got me thinking, what could I be doing better, or what am I not doing that I was before. I feel like I keep my carbs under control pretty well for the most part, but maybe I'm not getting enough fat...

So I had an idea, that I thought about trying, but tell me if it sounds Crazy lol I've seen things online, other keto-ers posting about doing an egg challenge or "egg fast", where they eat nothing but egg dishes for however many days to get their body back into ketosis. But I feel like if I did that there's a chance that when I'd go back to eating other foods, i could go back into not being in Ketosis anymore.

My Idea is a Butter Challenge... basically still eating all the low carb foods that I've been eating, but also incorporate a whole stick of butter into my diet throughout the day. So like drinking my bullet proof coffee in the morning and cooking my eggs with butter for breakfast. Cooking my meats or veggies with butter etc. And just using up a whole stick (which is half a cup) of butter throughout the day.

Does that sound weird? Or like it would be over doing it?
    Nothing's weird if it is what you need and it works for you. Are you hitting your macros for fat? If not, butter on!
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try it! I bet you would eat less, since butter is so satiating.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't know...that's 800 calories in just butter alone each day. What about fats from other foods like meats and cheeses and heavy whipping cream? Will you get enough protein? I don't know your calorie goal or if you have one, but these are just things to look into. I don't think fat fasts are bad, I just think you should go into upping your fat intake to the higher end of recommended with open eyes...and easy access to the toilet.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Or...you could remember that weight loss isn't linear. There are a million and one reasons why the scale goes up, down, or stays the same on any given weigh-in. Keep on, keeping on, and the weight will follow.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    honeybe522 wrote: »
    ...But I feel like if I did that there's a chance that when I'd go back to eating other foods, i could go back into not being in Ketosis anymore....

Would these "other foods" you eat be ketogenic or low in carbohydrate? If so, then there should really not be any fear of moving out of ketosis because you stop eating eggs.

Agree with Dragon. Our bodies are so diverse and complicated - but, half a pound is nothing to sneeze at. How long have you been at it? Some of us lose slower than others. Its not a race or a quick fix. It took me months to get things right and get my first "woosh". I almost cried when it happened. If you've not been at it for very long, you might want to give your body more time to adjust. The one thing I would definitely avoid would be too many changes at any given time. It makes it almost impossible to figure out what works and what doesn't.
  • ElMonstroDeCarne
    Options
    I agree with the "have patience" approach.

That being said, crazy as your butter idea may sound, some people have success with that.
    Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dragonwolf. Half a pound in a week is great progress. You can't expect big numbers like you did when you first started. There is no reason to add a stick of butter a day to your diet if you're already eating a decent amount of fat. If you're not then make fat bombs to snack on when you've had a lower fat meal. I always bring macadamia nuts with me when I visit my parents because they make really low fat meals. Fat/egg fasts are used to restart your loss when you've stalled for a long time. But even then you should be using your measurements as a sign of fat loss and not the number on a scale. I've been at this for over 2.5 years and what I've learned is that it's not a race. I will eventually get to where I'm suppose to be and I'm not going to stress out about it. The way I lose is that I'll drop in weight and then spend the next while at a higher weight before dropping again. It used to upset me but now I realize it's just how my body loses so I started only weighing myself every couple of weeks.