newbie advice required

Options
Hey all,
I'm looking to start 5:2 and was wondering if there was a nack to how you divide your calories on fasting days?
Any tips on what works etc would be great

Replies

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the 5:2 Fasting group! If you haven't already, please take time to look at the Michael Mosely documentary on intermittent fasting that can be found under the announcements on the group's main page. It will give you lots of great information about the basics of the plan.

To answer your question, there are only two hard and fast rules to the plan (which is why we like it so much!): 1. Eat 500 cals on two days of the week and 2. Eat your Total Daily Energy Expenditure calories on the other five days. Simple as that. What you eat and how you eat those calories is totally up to you.

Since you are new, I recommend two things - to log what you eat to make sure you are not seriously over or under your daily calorie goals, and to start with what seems intuitive to you. For example, if you are not normally a breakfast eater you may want to start eating later in the day. If normally, you can't live without breakfast you may want to spread your calories over the day to so as to start the day with breakfast. One last tip, make sure you drink plenty of fluids on the fast days. It will help with hunger and headaches, should you have them.

We wish you well as you begin this journey. Feel free to post additional questions as they come up.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this awesomely amazing group!!!! What I try to do is eat a small breakfast and a small dinner. Drinking water throughout the day. But what I do is totally different to what somebody else would do. This is why the 5:2 wol is so terrific. We can adjust to how it suits ourselves.
    Good luck and don't forget to drink your water
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to save all my fasting calories for my evening meal to give me a bigger fat loss window.

According to Brad Pilon "Fat loss starts happening at about 12 to 13 hours and plateaus around 18 hours,"

I've always found fasting easier this way but can totally understand people who can't manage the day without anything. Plenty of water is great for keeping hunger at bay.
  • hayleymawr
    hayleymawr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too save my calories for evening meal- but I'm the type who can't go to bed hungry. So I have 100 cals over the day in tea, stock ( sounds weird but it's a lovely soupy taste and really staves off hunger) miso soup, and a small snack ( usually a 10cal jelly and piece of fruit) then I eat a proper meal with my family at 7/8.

But as everyone has said do what works for you. If you fail your first fast day, just try again another day- it took me a few tries to be able to balance the calories so as not to give in half way through the fast.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Experiment!
    I found I can easily skip breakfast without any hunger issues.
    A small lunch (c. 40%) and a slightly bigger dinner (c. 60%) works best for me.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Experiment!
    I found I can easily skip breakfast without any hunger issues.
    A small lunch (c. 40%) and a slightly bigger dinner (c. 60%) works best for me.

This works best for me too. If I go too long, I get a bit shaky in the afternoon. Some people need breakfast and dinner and skip lunch, some graze a bit. You need to see what agrees with your body and your life. Trial and error....no recipe works for everybody.

And on fast days I stick to protein and veggies, maybe a little fruit. That keeps me fuller. Small amounts of grain carbs make me ravenous, so I avoid them on fast days.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I was eating around 1pm and then eating dinner, but the last two times I've eaten JUST dinner and I've lost more weight this way. Not sure if there was a correlation there, but now I'm aiming to fast all day (drinking water and tea) and eating all 500 calories for dinner.
  • catchyb
    catchyb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The headaches are normal? I used to get really bad migraines but they've almost disappeared over the past few years. I couldn't understand why I was suddenly getting them again. Any tips on avoiding them?

I'm averaging around 700 to 800 cal on fast days, just 1 meal a day - a chunky soup (split pea, Spanish spinach and chorizo...) or stew, followed by a 42 cal yoghurt, and about 10 mugs of milky decaf coffee spread throughout the day. Then there's the snack I can't resist, finishing the kids dessert or chocolat usually adds on an extra 150 ish...
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    The headaches if similar to rolling migraine AND when eating low carb on FD, is your body's reaction to not getting the amount of carbs it's used to have. Supply with electrolytes, might help. Google symptoms of Atkins flu, if you're interested.

I had the headaches for about 2 weeks, then it was gone. But I took a choice and went LCHF too. I figured might as well, since FD are low carb...

I don't know if they keep coming back if you return to "high carb" diet on TDEE days on a regular basis. Someone else might have experience and can give their opinion.
  • catchyb
    catchyb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think you're right! As soon as I filled up on carbs again, the headache went away. Hope this doesn't mean I'm in for twice weekly headaches! Fast day 2 tomorrow, guess I'll find out soon :)
  • SofaKween
    SofaKween Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had headaches for the first few fasts but now am no longer troubled by them. I think at first your brain plays tricks on you to try to get you to stick to the old ways; but once you train it to realise that the only negative consequence of a fast day is a rumbly tummy, it settles down. Very first fast I had 100 cals of carbs as a late lunch and felt really hungry for the rest of the day; second fast day I had 100 cals of low carb protein shake instead which I found much better; gradually I extended my FDs, so now save all my calories for an evening meal. Hope you decide to join us!