Chit chat thread

Options
DaivaSimone
DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
So, I read in the goals thread that some of you are thinking about joining a yoga class. I'm not a big yoga fan (I'm no good at being flexible and balanced), but I do some exercise on my own, with the help of my Wii balance board (so tech savvy). I'm not convinced I can do a class, though.

However, there is a ton of classes at my gym that look interesting, like Afro-caribbean dance, BOSU conditioning, metabolic training (using TRX system, kettle bells, free weights, etc.). I would love to join a class, but I'm shy because I never did one, and I'm afraid I won't keep up with people that already took the class and know the moves. Am I, again, being overly shy about something that I shouldn't?

On a more positive note, today, I discovered a new muscle bump on my shoulder and was joking about having a new muscle growing on my back. Turns out, those are traps, but I never saw them before. I was not able to resist, and at some point during the day, I had to go in the bathroom to flex my arms a little and check them out. Woah, they were huge, and I had also my collar bones poping out ( I was almost impressed by the fact that I did have those too). For the reste of the day, everytime I was going to the bathroom, I took some time to flex and admire my traps. Those things heavy lifting does on you!

(Yes, you can laugh).

Replies

• Survivorstartingover68
    Survivorstartingover68 Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I myself have been in those same shoes....well, almost....it wasn't becasue i was shy but becasue i was too worried about what people would say about my weight. YES i know that sounds ridicoulus if you realoze that the reason the class is there in the first place is to help you to get fit.

I was my own worst enemy!!

Once i got it through my thick head that i was NOT going to the gym for anyone BUT ME....it became fun and i actually had serious withdraw from not going when i had surgery in December.

so i think if you get your mind to say that you are not going to the gym to impress anyone and you are doing it for you .....because YOU are the most important person in the class than you should be fine!!!!

and remember...EVERYONE in the class had to start somewhere and I am sure they were all not graceful from the start!!

I say GO FOR IT !!!!!!

You have nothing to lose....except maybe some weight!! :)
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    Thanks for this message! I had the same problem before starting to lift weights, I was so shy to be using the free weights and the power cage, and feeling so clumsy. As if anybody cared.

I'm really interested in the BOSU class. I should do it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love that, with the bathroom and the flexing. I've done similar things lately.

I think you should try the classes. I was traumatized by classes as a teenager in the '80s when they were all aerobics (which I'm terrible at, I'm the worst dancer ever and you were supposed to be happy and perky too, which I am not, but the problem was I was always about three steps behind). So when I first joined a gym they were talking up the classes and I was thinking "I won't do classes," but somehow I tried one and found it was very different than those aerobics classes, much easier to follow, and had a whole range of people who were just focused on themselves.

I really enjoy them now--they are a lifesaver for me getting in cardio when it's cold out.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So a not-really-related story about my yoga class. I've done an occasional class at my gym, but there's a real yoga studio about 3 houses down from me that I've been meaning to try, and finally got around to it. Went to the basic class on Valentine's Day (it was nice, she gave us chocolates at the end). Most people were about my level, I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. But amusingly, the woman next to me was clearly far too advanced for the class. She was there with her husband, so maybe that's why, but he seemed pretty advanced too. We were doing this portion with bridges and she decided on her own to go up into back bends (the more advanced progression, but it wasn't even mentioned). After various such things at the end when we were in a relaxing pose she got in a headstand. I know it's wrong of me, but I was a little jealous of her flexibility/skill and mostly being judgy of her being a show-off in the beginner's class, which probably isn't fair--she may have been dying for a class and had no other times she could make it. Oh, well.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and take classes, I go for me. I do what I can achieve. I do look at those who are advanced and make friends with them. They support me and one particular girl that shines in class shared that she had lost 70 pounds. She is a wonderful sweet person. She often pushes me harder than I would be doing. I have lost 97 pounds so far, and it is people like her and the instructors that really notice and help me get stronger. Don't be afraid or intimidated. You are there for a reason and stick to that. I don't think nothing less of anyone in class that can't keep up or are heavier, they are beginning their journey and need my support as others have supported me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So this is my second day without caffeine, and wow, I thought it wasn't affecting me that much because I could drink coffee in the evening without noticing any effects, but I guess that's the point--I was so used to it. Slept tons last night (partly a reaction to the weather too, I think), and yet I can't seem to feel awake this morning. Sigh.

Also, having a hard time getting motivated to leave the house. Too cold!
  • classysassy4ever70
    classysassy4ever70 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I have been in those shoes myself as well. I haven't done Yoga & Pilates in a real long time. I am not flexible/bendy anymore. I had to start from scratch and I have been my worst enemy in this process. I decided to do the DVDs instead of taking classes. Once I feel comfy, then I will return to a class. It would actually relax me to the point where the meditation was my favorite thing to do. So now I do it at home!

Good luck & KUDOS to all of you that have stuck with classes & being around other people! :D
  • SilverStormi
    SilverStormi Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    In the past when I took cardio kickboxing I just did it for fun. I went from being self concious to not caring. When I looked around at everyone else there they absorbed in their own thing to even notice that I messed up a combination.

After reading this its making part of me wish I joined a gym so I can do some fun workout classes. I do all my workouts either at home or by going to the rescue. For me if I joined a gym it wouldnt be worth it because then I would have to give up the dogs and I would miss them way to much. Although when its a little warmer I bring them to the fenced in yard a fellow business allows us to use I do try and get some crossfit done as bonus exercise. Even though it end up usually with me on the ground not long after I start becuase the pups want to join in or try to figure out what Im doing.

Stephanie I agree its hard to find any motivation on days like this. Tonight its going to feel like anywhere from 1* to -4* while im at the rescue. So when I go they just get 30 minute walks (if that). I bundle myself up and toss a doggie jacket on them and head out. Its to cold to try and do more then that. I miss running with them.
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I decided to do the DVDs instead of taking classes. Once I feel comfy, then I will return to a class.
    Any favorites?

I thought to take an intro class, because I've never done yoga before. Are there any good DVDs for that?

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Regarding the woman who was too advanced for the yoga class: A good friend of mine
    once advised me, "never take a class you could teach".

The most rewarding group activity I've ever participated in, exercise-wise, was a ballet class for beginning adults. It was just fantastic. If any of you ever have the opportunity to try it, I cannot recommend it enough. The barre work is such great stretching.

55835802.png
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    The most rewarding group activity I've ever participated in, exercise-wise, was a ballet class for beginning adults. It was just fantastic. If any of you ever have the opportunity to try it, I cannot recommend it enough. The barre work is such great stretching.
    I loved ballet as a teenager!

• DaivaSimone
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So this is my second day without caffeine, and wow, I thought it wasn't affecting me that much because I could drink coffee in the evening without noticing any effects, but I guess that's the point--I was so used to it. Slept tons last night (partly a reaction to the weather too, I think), and yet I can't seem to feel awake this morning. Sigh.

Also, having a hard time getting motivated to leave the house. Too cold!

Do you feel any withdrawal symptoms, like headache or unusual angryness? I'm not really good with stimulants in general, and at some point, I stopped drinking more than one coffee a day (an espresso, so there's really not much caffeine in there) and I immediately saw how much it was affecting my sleep, even if I was drinking only two coffees (filter) a day with, like, one or two cups of tea. My sleep was more deep, and I made complete night without woking up, which was awesome.

Now, If I am really sleep-deprived, I won't drink my morning coffee at all, I will drink only water, and it works surprisingly well. I am wondering if caffeine, by stimulating the nervous system for a long period of time, makes us actually more tired than if we didn't drink caffeine at all. I mean, you can be tired because you didn't sleep enough, but if you add, on the top of that, a substance that stimulates every systems in your body, won't you be more tired in the end?

I think that most people are so accustomed to their caffeine comsumption that they don't see how it's affecting them. I'm sure it doesn't take a lot of caffeine to disrupt sleep, seriously.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I was headachy (although it could have been the cold), low energy, and kind of down. Better already today. I was also exhausted despite getting much more sleep than usual, which I think was because I'm normally in denial about how sleep deprived I am. I go to sleep fine, but I think that's because I use the caffeine to just keep me feeling normal.

I used to be sensitive to it when I drank a lot less (I'd have a couple cups of coffee in a meeting and be super jittery), so the fact that it seems not to affect me now shows I'm way too reliant on it, I think.
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been taking spinning classes here and there, but they tend to be offered at inconvenient times for me. I think I'm just going to have to start waking up really early, or adjust my work hours to 8-4 rather than 9-5. My gym offers some other really cool sounding classes like boot-camp, Zumba, treadmill, and what looks like some weight-training based aerobics.

I'm taking 15 credits (5 classes) this semester, while working full time, and am going a little bonkers. I know it's an excuse...but my god am I busy and sleep deprived.

In reference to beverages, I've been drinking 5+ cups of tea a day lol. Mostly just to warm up! I make sure that some of them are herbal and caffeine free. I generally have about 2 cups of coffee in the morning.

Someone, anyone, please tell me it's going to be getting warm soon!
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I don't know when it's going to get warm there, but I do know that you have a full plate! My goodness, you are one busy woman! Maybe if it gets to be too much you could try lowering your activity level on mfp and just eating your goal calories and not worry about the exercising until things slow down a bit. I admire all that you are doing and you are strong and setting a wonderful example for all.
  • ChiaGnome
    Options
    I don't know when it's going to get warm there, but I do know that you have a full plate! My goodness, you are one busy woman! Maybe if it gets to be too much you could try lowering your activity level on mfp and just eating your goal calories and not worry about the exercising until things slow down a bit. I admire all that you are doing and you are strong and setting a wonderful example for all.

Thanks so much for your support! My biggest motivator is that I'm getting married in 7 months - which sets a bit of a timeline. If I can't make time to exercise, I have to eat less. And I love to eat! haha All joking aside, I'll probably have to eat less :|
  • goingforahundred
    Options
    How exciting that you are getting married! I hope that you will have a bit of a break in the summer so you can exercise all you want!! Congrats!
  • SilverStormi
    SilverStormi Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    ChiaGnome wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your support! My biggest motivator is that I'm getting married in 7 months - which sets a bit of a timeline. If I can't make time to exercise, I have to eat less. And I love to eat! haha All joking aside, I'll probably have to eat less :|

Planning a wedding is so much fun. I had a blast planning mine 4 years ago. You will find time to get the workouts you want in. Its tricky but it is doable.

Im so excited. The past few days have been crazy for me. I have been stuck at a temp job for 2 years with no end in sight and no benefits. Its been an on going point of tension for me and my husband since I get paid so little here. I have been looking but havent found the right job and didnt want to go for something that I knew wasnt right for me. My last job that I was laid off from was that kind of job. In the 4 years I was there I gained over 50 pounds from being in that type of environment! Not happening again after all my hard work.

Anyways I have had a few agencies looking for me and last friday they contacted me about a possible job. Friday morning they sumbitted my resume and by friday afternoon I had an interview set for 8am yesterday. I went to the iterview and had the job by 10:30am!!! I am so excited to be out of here and starting this new job.
  • ChiaGnome
    Options
    Congrats, SilverStormi! That must be so satisfying! Can I ask what industry you're in? I'm graduating in a year, and I'm always interested in what careers people choose.
  • goingforahundred
    Options

Im so excited. The past few days have been crazy for me. I have been stuck at a temp job for 2 years with no end in sight and no benefits. Its been an on going point of tension for me and my husband since I get paid so little here. I have been looking but havent found the right job and didnt want to go for something that I knew wasnt right for me. My last job that I was laid off from was that kind of job. In the 4 years I was there I gained over 50 pounds from being in that type of environment! Not happening again after all my hard work.

Anyways I have had a few agencies looking for me and last friday they contacted me about a possible job. Friday morning they sumbitted my resume and by friday afternoon I had an interview set for 8am yesterday. I went to the iterview and had the job by 10:30am!!! I am so excited to be out of here and starting this new job.

How wonderful!!! It's like Christmas in February for you I bet!! Congrats!