Breaking Up is Hard to Do

Options
dburki51
dburki51 Posts: 5 Member
I've been overweight for a long time and always heard about emotional eating but never quite understood what that meant. I finally understand that I have an unhealthy relationship with food, like a relationship with a boyfriend who is bad for you. I have been hanging on for a long time but finally decided to break up. So far it's working, I hope I never cave in and take him (it) back. Why do we hang on when we know it's bad for us?

Replies

• Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think the body actively resists us. It's our coping mechanism for all kind of things and those are very hard to give up.

I thought a break-up was your emotional issue (it's one of mine) :wink: now I've got the song stuck in my head.
  • dburki51
    dburki51 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think the emotional issue for me IS hanging on, hanging on to something bad for me, thinking I need something that actually hurts me in the end. That's the part I just figured out.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    It's tough, as Kabiti said food is coping mechanism for a lot of us. It is something we learned at a very young age, and it is difficult to break years of behaviour. I suggest keeping a journal, not just of what you eat, but about your feelings before and after eating. Are you physically hungry, bored, tired, sad, etc...
  • djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how so many of us (not just in here) do things that are irrational and bad for us. certainly makes you wonder