Abs. Abs. Abs.

Options
Hi! So I'm pretty new to posting anything on MFP. I used to use it religiously my Freshman year of college, but Sophomore year came around and put me off track. I'm extremely active and go to the gym almost everyday. I have a pretty flat stomach, but what i'm really trying to fix is the lower ab area. I normally have a very balanced diet (sometimes I eat things I shouldn't), but for the most part I make sure to eat certain proteins, fats and carbs all in moderation of course. Any ideas to targeting lower abs would be greatly appreciated! I'm also open to any eating habits I should start up (keep in mind I get a majority of my meals from dining halls).

Replies

• lazieats
    lazieats Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm still a noob, but I do know that if I do leg lifts, they really work my lower abs. Kind of like reverse sit-ups. You lie on your back and lift your straight legs up, go up as high as you can, and lower back down. I only lift them about 4 or 5 inches and usually only one leg at a time. But I can feel it pulling and tightening my lower abs. Hope that helps some.
  • Grinage1027
    Grinage1027 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Froggies lay on your back with your legs lifted but as close to the floor with keeping you back flat pull your knees into your chest and do a crunch with your upper body. Does that make sense? Lol all while keeping your toes tilted out so its not so hard on your hips
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    many exercises will work your abs, bit if a layer of fat remains over them you won't see them until you lower BF% enough
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    many exercises will work your abs, bit if a layer of fat remains over them you won't see them until you lower BF% enough

There is a popular saying that "abs are made in the kitchen" and it is very true. You need to lower your body fat to really see your abs and honestly it may be hard to see them depending on where you are genetically disposed to store fat. For myself, I never do any direct core work. I focus on compound lifts that engage the core in addition to other muscles (squats, deadlifts, chin-ups, push-ups, etc), but haven't done any ab work in nearly a year. My body fat is currently around 17% and I have beautiful definition in my upper abs, but my lower abs still have a layer of fat covering them up even though my stomach is very flat over all.

I would recommend focusing more on reducing your body fat and doing bigger, total body movements in the gym vs more isolated movements. You'll get more bang for your buck that way and the abs will come through as you lose more fat.

• darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    We're women. It's supposed to be there. Really.

There's a certain amount of female fat you want to keep around, for a lot of reasons. It's just good for you and more comfy for the guys, too.