The 5:2 Fitness Thread

Options
snaps27
snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
I know that I am not the most qualified person to start this thread, but I thought it was a great suggestion that we have one. We have some really knowledgeable people on this site and for non-experienced folk such as myself, I think it would help.

I guess this thread should be anything fitness/exercise related...questions, knowledge, experience, accountability (that ones for me) etc...

For me...I know from all my past experiences, exercise has been highly beneficial, both mentally and physically. From the gym to the park or at home it all works. Whether it's organised or a real exuberant cleaning session...LETS GET MOVING!!

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Tip 1: do something you like doing. You'll stick with that longer.

Tip 2: profit from your surroundings. If you live in a nice area, go walking or running. Maybe you even have a fitness parcour or a play ground around the corner to add some strength and abs. Going outside is good for the body and soul. Maybe even forget the IPod and listen to the birds sing and the leaves move in the wind and the stream flowing by. Meditation and exercise all rolled into one ;-)

Tip 3: Mix and match. I do all sorts of different workouts inside and out. If you do alot of cardio, reduce that and add some strength exercises. No equipement needed...bodyweight exercises are so efficient.

Tip 4: YouTube is an excellent source for free videos to get started and there are some good apps to start running, if that is your goal.

Tip 5: If you haven't exercised much lately, start slow and easy. It's OK to be a bit out of breath and sweat a bit, but for it to stay fun and injury free, you should not overdue it.

Tip 6: You're doing something new...after a workout or two your muscles will be sore. Do another type of workout or go for a brisk walk to warm up the muscles and let them heal for a day. Then do the workout again. Your muscles may still be a bit sore, but the pain will be better in a day or two.

Tip 7: Don't forget to give yourself a rest day once in a while. Your body needs that. Overtraining leads to less progress and more susceptibility to injury.

Tip 8: Watch your form. Form is more important in strength or stretching exercises than speed or the weight. Use the mirror or a trainer for this. Doing things with bad form, will lead to less progress and possibly to injury.

My favs
    Jogging outside (5-10k)
    Nordic walking (with poles)
    Swimming
    Cardio / Strength / Balance / Core work on the rebounder
    Circuit training / Core work (eg. Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, Yoga Meltdown, 6week/6pack, etc)
    Horse back riding
    TaiChi
    Walking
    Biking

What I choose, depends on weather and what I feel like doing.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and how I do things. I'm not in any way or form an expert, but I am pretty active.
  • hayleymawr
    hayleymawr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great thread thanks. I've just started exercising today- I've always walked two or three miles a day with the dog, but today I dusted off the shred and went for it. My question is about hiit- I'm somewhat lacking in understanding of it- does the shred count as hiit, or should I he doing a different more challenging training?
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if the Shred qualifies as HIIT. As a circuit training, I would think it goes a bit in that direction. But I'm not sure if all HIIT is a mix of cardio and strength?? I do find the shred pretty effective though. I've done it twice and now just use it in my mix of videos.

If it wasn't hard enough for you, I found the yoga meltdown more challenging from a strength perspective and the 6wk/6pk has some really good moves and challenging strength and cardio sequences in it.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread!! I joined the gym in January but since we've been plagued with -20 degree nights, I haven't been leaving at night. it's just too darn cold! Before my daughter was born, I was an avid runner. I ran a marathon when I was 4 weeks pregnant, and have only run ONCE since then. I need to get back into it, but I've never taken a hiatus this long, and it's just too cold to run outside right now. Sigh! I hope to get back to the gym soon!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    MWF I do a bodyweight / yoga combination including stretches, pushups, planks, lunges, squats, and assisted pullups. TTh I do a Tabata session on an exercise bike, kettlebell swings, and rows. Each weekday routine takes me less than 10 minutes in the morning before I go to work - no gym, no travel, can be done in my pajamas. I wanted to establish a routine that I would have no excuses to skip and I feel I have achieved that. When I am done, I get the reward of feeling great and happy that I accomplished something. If I can get walks or bike rides or a Qi Gong or Jillian Michaels session in, that's a bonus (but often it's just the walking I do at work and housekeeping). This approach is a minimal investment in my health that I hopefully can continue indefinitely.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    For me at the moment, it's fasted low intensity cardio (walking) each morning, and then bodyweight resistance training 3/ 4 days a week. I find walking a perfect form of exercise for building up my fasted activity level, and am sure I could jog a little fasted now. I do my bodyweight workouts fasted/ unfasted, depending on what fits into my routine for that day/ week best. If doing them fasted I take 10g of BCAA's 5/ 10 mins beforehand though just so my body doesn't get any funny notions about munching on my muscular mass for fuel when I'm working out, lol.

I find the above a great combo, at least while I'm focussing on weight/ fat loss, especially the bodyweight training which frees me up from a gym as well as ensuring some of any calorie excesses are put towards muscle growth instead of all fat storage. I'm not sure how effective fasted walking is, but it's a great way to start the day when I am still in the fasted portion of my 16:8 (I do 16:8, in addition to a variation of 6:1 or 5:2 each week). The fasted resistance training I know is beneficial, but mainly as it helps deplete glycogen stores more, so the muscle glycogen uptake of carbs and protein from my post-workout meal goes to the muscles instead of just into the bodies general pot.

In all, the above I see as being my foundation level of activity for quite a long time, with other things just getting added to the mix as opposed to replacing anything. The one thing that may change however is the walking, which may get replaced by some jogging, but not because I see jogging/ running as a superior activity, but rather that I have some running goals I would like to start tackling :smile:
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like and do a lot of cycling, of the endurance kind, not the speed sort. I am addicted to a form of cycling called Audax. There are events all over the world, ranging from 50km up to 1400km. It is none competitive, with only you knowing your time over the event. It is baased on total average speed, so if you are quick then you get more time to spend in the cafe's.

In support of this I do circuit traing to improve core strength, with loads of reps at low weights, as I do not want to build big muscles, but strong ones. I also walk, fasted and none fasted. I also spin on a turbo (static bike) when the weather is not good.

I have been doing Audax rides since 2000 and have not yet found the antidote. I cycled for many years before I found Audax, so I have beenon the bike for a long time.
  • snaps27
    Options
    Today instead on walking slowly up the stairs at home...I jogged up them. And instead of walking slowly to pick the kids up I power walked there and back. Little steps for me.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ive started dancing! I could dance for hours years ago not anymore. I done 25 mins today fast dancing! Hoping to make it a regular exercise!
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I go to pilates once or twice a week depending on my works roster, curves circuit gym 4 times a week, I walk the dog with the kids most afternoons (unless I'm doing an afternoon shift) Walking the dog is a difficult exercise lol. He's a very strong bull terrier who loooooovvees his walks so gets very excited and ends up walking me. The kids ride their bikes.
    I'll average about 11000 steps in a standard shift at work.
    Sigh i miss my body pump class. I'm thinking of buying the dvd set with weights but it's not the same. I'm in a funk. I miss the classes at my old gym but I love the location and convenience and circuit at my current gym
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Thanks for starting.
    I work long days during the week and my check in is sporadic.

I just started training for a sprint Tri this week. I've done 5 sprints and 1 Olympic distance in previous years so I know what I'm in for. I'm super excited to get back into the groove of things as I have been doing close to didley squat for 6 months.

Aniqa-I love dancing. I sometimes go into a storage room in my basement and blast my music through my headphones and shake my groove thing without onlookers.

Karen-that's a ton of steps!!!' Wow!

Snaps-Awesome job on running up the stairs. That's a great workout.

Marm-that sounds really cool. I too enjoy endurance over speed.

ilo- wow! Great routine. I hope to get back there.

Sanjo-you seem quite motivated, love your no excuses approach.

BBurg-it will happen! Can't wait to follow you on your running adventures.

Haley-great job on your activity! I'm not familiar with shred, sounds hard though.

Flum-thanks for the tips. Very helpful for those of us struggling with excuses.

Today I did 1 mile run at 12mins per mile, not too bad for not running for a couple of months, then I walked 1 mile. My training is 20 weeks out so it's pretty slow and doable at this point.
    Great job all!
    Reading everyone's activities was extremely motivating!!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I guess these days I'm best described as an elderly cyclist who lifts weights. :smile:

My normal weekly routine is three weights sessions in the gym and three cardio sessions.
    The cardio is mostly cycling related from low intensity sessions, high intensity, intervals, hill climbs, long slow endurance training... I also use rowing machines, elliptical and play an odd (very odd!) game of squash with my son. Spring to autumn weekends will find me cycling round the prettier parts of Surrey. Longest ride to date was London -> Bath (113 miles).

2015 fitness goals:
    Sustain 200 watt average for an hour on indoor bike (then extend duration). Current PB is 188 watts.

Cycle 20 miles in an hour outdoors.

Complete a few 100km and at least one 200k Audax cycling events (200km = 124 miles, a new PB).

Bench press BW x 1.5 (c. 112kg or 246lbs), currently benching about 100 - 105kg

Do handstand pushups without looking stupid or breaking my neck. DONE - see profile picture but the "without looking stupid" part is debatable!
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on starting C25K if anyone wants to join me. :D
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    @debbie389 Whats that?
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    snaps27 wrote: »
    Today instead on walking slowly up the stairs at home...I jogged up them. And instead of walking slowly to pick the kids up I power walked there and back. Little steps for me.

@snaps. Sweetie, we all gotta start somewhere! It's those small changes that really add up in the long run, whether it's putting on weight or challenging comfort zone. Congrats :D

Congrats to all of you for being active, for many it's not necessary for weight loss, but it's a very good investment in fat loss for the long game.

It might be hard to believe, but my 1-2 hours physical activity almost every day started with a SLOW walk DOWNHILL for 20 minutes 1x per week.

Flumi gave excellent advice above. If anything to add it would be to:

Not compare yourself with anyone but you. There'll always be someone that can run faster, lift heavier etc. By comparing with yourself, you stay honest.

For me it works best when I listen to the muscles. If I'm tired, I'm content with a workout that's less straining. If I'm really pumped up, I go for goal. Sometimes I have to convince the body to perform, I do that by putting on pressure. The first 20 mins always the hurdle. Past that the body wants to work. Challenging myself a little bit every time. A mini goal or several. So listen to the body, not brain :)

• icrushit
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    For me it works best when I listen to the muscles. If I'm tired, I'm content with a workout that's less straining. If I'm really pumped up, I go for goal. Sometimes I have to convince the body to perform, I do that by putting on pressure. The first 20 mins always the hurdle. Past that the body wants to work. Challenging myself a little bit every time. A mini goal or several. So listen to the body, not brain :)

Couldn't agree more with this. Earlier this week I was trying to figure out a few changes in my training plan, and realised the biggest change it needed was simply some flexibility (just like the flexibility my fasting routine has given to my eating).

I think listening to our bodies is very important, and my new workout plan is simply and A and B workout I will do on alternate days, but instead of doing a set number of workouts each week, I shall simply listen to my body.

Sometimes that will mean 1 rest day between workouts, others 2, then others again it will mean back to back workouts 2 days in a row (my A & B workout are complimentary). I think this change in philosophy was just what I needed, although all bets are off if you're a slacker, which thankfully I'm not (when it comes to working out, anyway.. lol).
  • snaps27
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thankx @Foamroller‌! :)

Found is article about climbing the stairs.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/297908-how-many-calories-can-you-lose-climbing-stairs/

You can burn about 20 calories for every two minutes you climb the stairs; so in ten minutes, that's 100 calories!

I will be making a lot more excuses to go up and down the stairs! :D

• icrushit
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Snaps27, stairs tend to be a great workout for the calves I find. My own habit is to take the stairs when I can, taking each step on the balls of my feet (& not using my heel), which puts all the emphasis onto the calves and tendons, as well as probably the foot in general.

Running on the spot I'm finding to be great too. I do it without shoes so I don't land on the heels of my feet, but instead on the front or mid-part of my foot (the way you do naturally when running in bare feet if you try it), which gives a great workout to most of what lies below the knee. I just do 5 mins or so as part of my workout warmup, but find it gives my calves a nice little workout :smile:
  • snaps27
    Options
    Went on a mile walk today, pushing my two littlest ones. It felt good getting out and about. :D
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi can i ask do u eat back exercise calories on non fast days?