Any older folks doing this?

Options
Kaplat
Kaplat Posts: 138 Member
I'm 68 and 20 kgs overweight. I've been looking at C25K for ages and would love to do it, but worried about how my body would cope. I don't have any health problems and don't want to cause any! I walk regularly but would like to step it up a bit and give this a try. Any encouragement from older C25Kers would be appreciated!

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Just take it slow. The most common "mistake" for beginners is to run too quickly right away. This leads to injury and disappointment.
    I'm an older runner, too. I started a couple of years ago at 54 and not ever having run before in my life. I'm also a walker and that is a good solid starting point. I'm slower than most but I'm also still improving. It can be done.

Just remember to run slow and follow the program. Speak a short sentence while running. If you can speak it, you're running at a good pace for yourself. If it comes out in pants, huffs & puffs, slow down.

Get some good shoes. Preferably, take a pair of walking shoes to a running store and have them check the wear. They will be able to fit you to a shoe that will work with your feet. This will keep you comfortable and help avoid injuries.

Welcome aboard! Running is fun once you get the hang of it. Every day that you finish is a thrill. Don't think about your age. Take it slow and have fun.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    As a youngster, 49, I did this last year 30kgs overweight at the second attempt. PaytraB has given you some great advice. I went too fast the first time and injured myself. 2nd time I was fine, got slower through weeks 3 to 5. You can do this.

If you want motivation, I am running a half marathon in 18 days time, and plan to be faster than 2hr20min. I could not run 5 mins on June 15 last year.

Take it slow, take it steady, take the rest in the sessions and between sessions. You will succeed.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I had never run before (hated running). Almost 2 years ago (at 49), I decided to give it a try. I could barely run for a minute without thinking I was going to die! I'm now training for my first half marathon.

I will repeat what Robbie and Paytra said- take it slow and have fun!
  • Kaplat
    Kaplat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone, and thanks for your replies. I walked a half marathon a few years ago - no way I could do that at my current fitness level so I have much respect for your upcoming challenges.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My 72 year old father is doing this with me! He's actually faster than I am. We have a race together with my son on Mother's day weekend. 3 generations. Of course my son will do it in half our time - but he will cheer at the finish line. :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My 72 year old father is doing this with me! He's actually faster than I am. We have a race together with my son on Mother's day weekend. 3 generations. Of course my son will do it in half our time - but he will cheer at the finish line. :)

0jm003tqgvoh.gif