I'm scared

Options
Jakiepaper
Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
not really but I've been eating really good for 22 days lost a good amount of weight feel great but I'm planning on going out to eat AND having DESSERT!!! I haven't eaten anything real sweet and I'm afraid I'm going to fall back into the old bad habits. I've never smoked but I equate it to an addiction. I will have ice cream and probably a cupcake but how am I going to go back the next day with out craving it?

Replies

• Jakiepaper
    Options
    Also, I'm afraid I'm going to feel really bad physically afterward.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Will power! Don't eat it, make one at home for after dinner. You can do it! :)
  • karirenae
    karirenae Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I actually find when I have a cheat day, things taste not so great as I had imagined. ESPECIALLY sweet things, then I just dont crave them or want them for awhile after. EX: I had a shake from sonic about 3 weeks ago... havent wanted one since.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I tried some coleslaw at a restaurant the other day....WAY sweeter than I remembered it being. Couldn't eat it.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i am sure i will be in the minority here, but i think you are being really smart. you have planned in advance what your cheat will be, so you wont just go wild eating everything in sight. now, plan in advance what your next day's menu will be, so you dont even have to think about it -- you just go right back to your healthy eating. (make sure you have everything that you need for healthy eating already in the house or easily available).

Nobody is perfect every minute of every day for the rest of their lives. The winners are the ones who get right back on track without missing a beat.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i am sure i will be in the minority here, but i think you are being really smart. you have planned in advance what your cheat will be, so you wont just go wild eating everything in sight. now, plan in advance what your next day's menu will be, so you dont even have to think about it -- you just go right back to your healthy eating. (make sure you have everything that you need for healthy eating already in the house or easily available).

Nobody is perfect every minute of every day for the rest of their lives. The winners are the ones who get right back on track without missing a beat.

While I still generally lean toward the "don't bother, it's not worth it" side, I do agree with this. If you've decided that you're going to have it, then just pick right back up where you left off.

I'm of the opinion that there's no such thing as "cheats," only decisions. You decide from one day to the next what you're going to eat or not eat.

That said, I do recommend sticking to the ice cream. The fat counteracts the sugary taste. Cakey desserts don't really have that and end up sickening sweet tasting. I learned that the hard way a couple of weeks ago.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

I actually agree. I have had planned indulgences. Like my birthday. I let myself have the one evening. I had the cheat meal, pizza, and the evening after. I had way too much chocolate and alcohol. I'd already told myself that I can enjoy myself, but this is it. When I get up in the morning, it's back to my new normal. It's no big deal as I was right back to biz.

We didn't get unhealthy feasting on one holiday/celebration. We got unhealthy feasting EVERY DAY, making every day an indulgence. It then loses it's specialness and creates bad habits. I wouldn't make indulgences a habit, but the once in awhile is ok. I try to keep it to every 6mo, but conceivably, for someone who has developed that kind of control, every few months would be ok. I could handle indulgence days a little more often, but I like how I eat now. I'd rather eat LCHF. I like my normal, so chocolate more often isn't necessary.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I broke down and had a piece of homemade cheesecake at work today. It was good, but I only had a small (half of anyone else's) and had a hard time with finishing it. Its not as hard as you may think after you've cut a lot of it out. The only reason I ate this today was because I had decided I was going to allow myself to occasionally have this particular person's cakes. They rarely show up and are very well done. But now I need the antacids.
  • WillCams
    Options
    What about learning to make those treats a different way. Like frozen fruits blended for icecream. You can add a frozen banana or frozen avocado for creaminess. You might be pleasantly surprised. I made this for my kids thinking, ohh this is healthy and they rushed in and yammed it down and called it icecream. So now I play around with different fruit and also veg and they still call it icecream. I make cupcakes using almond butter instead of flour and sometimes add raw cacao powder for my chocolate fix. Try looking at grain free cooking and you may find things you can use as a substitute for treats without the guilt. Also you can try a little molasses but go slowly as it is an acquired taste for some
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    WillCams wrote: »
    What about learning to make those treats a different way. Like frozen fruits blended for icecream. You can add a frozen banana or frozen avocado for creaminess. You might be pleasantly surprised. I made this for my kids thinking, ohh this is healthy and they rushed in and yammed it down and called it icecream. So now I play around with different fruit and also veg and they still call it icecream. I make cupcakes using almond butter instead of flour and sometimes add raw cacao powder for my chocolate fix. Try looking at grain free cooking and you may find things you can use as a substitute for treats without the guilt. Also you can try a little molasses but go slowly as it is an acquired taste for some

Using molasses is also a bit of an art. Different kinds have different flavor strengths, and if you're not careful, you can overwhelm the other flavors.

"Milkshakes" made with whole milk, cream, and frozen fruit (or fresh fruit and a few ice cubes) makes for a far more rich and filling treat, too.

And I agree with the grain free cooking sites for alternatives. http://satisfyingeats.com/recipes/ is an awesome place to find grain-free recipes. I don't generally do "substitutes," but I happened upon it while looking for recipes for things for my sister and I to eat at my family's Christmas gathering (such gatherings are when I concede to substitutes, especially when it's food for others). Found an awesome cinnamon bread recipe that I made into egg nog bread pudding (not sugar free, but dairy and grain free).
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point now where it's not so much a guilt thing, it's just generally disappointing. Enjoy yourself and don't beat yourself up for it, but do be prepared that it might not be as awesome as you remember. I think of it as Shamrock Shake syndrome. When I was a kid, I couldn't wait til March every year. Didn't have one for years, had one again in my 20's, tasted like toothpaste :\
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Jakiepaper wrote: »
    Also, I'm afraid I'm going to feel really bad physically afterward.

Do not be afraid but hope that you do feel really bad physically afterwards as I did. That reinforced to my brain and body not to eat carbs like that again. :)

• cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Jaklepaper -- how did your evening go?
  • GingerGale1
    GingerGale1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You've planned ahead - that is the BEST approach to take. Allow yourself to enjoy your treat and get right back on the horse with the next meal. Maybe you will find you don't even want to finish the treat you have planned. A couple bites of ice cream and a bite of cupcake may be all you want if you've been away from those things for a while as you may find yourself shocked at the sweetness now.
  • Jakiepaper
    Options
    Jaklepaper -- how did your evening go?

Thanks so much for asking! We're going Tuesday the 3rd, I will definitely come back and tell you all the good bad and possibly ugly! LOL!
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been low-carb for six weeks now, and I celebrated my birthday last week with not just cheesecake, but *fried* cheesecake on a stick. Surprise! It was too much--too sweet, too rich. I ate less than half. I didn't feel bad the next day, and I didn't revert to terrible habits. I didn't even gain weight.

Planning ahead is a great idea. I used to think that if I got the privilege to eat out or eat at a social event, it was okay to treat myself "just this once." The problem was that "just this once" was happening three or four times a week. (We apparently are very social!)

Now I eat before I go to events, I prepare my own delicious, fatty meal for potlucks that all the other ladies comment "oh this will ruin my figure" or "this must have sooo much fat in it." (Why yes, yes it does.)

I'm really shocked that the sugar cravings have disappeared because I have a history of slavery to sweets... But I can walk into Howard's Donuts now and walk out without a bite.

So, one evening won't kill you. Enjoy it, live not in fear but in preparation and joy. Above all, don't loathe yourself for decisions you made in the past. If you sense yourself falling into old habits, just pick yourself up, brush away the past, and decide to start fresh right this minute (NOT tomorrow!) Self-joy can be a huge motivator.

Good luck!
  • Jakiepaper
    Options
    Thanks so much for the kind and encouraging words. I don't feel as nervous as I did when I made the post.

As far as the "just this once" mentality, that was exactly like me. That once would lead into eventually an everyday thing. It was a terrible rollercoaster.
  • Jakiepaper
    Options
    So, here's the update if anyone cares... We went out, had a nice time. I made brownies(not LC) bought some ice cream with whipped cream. Totally went over on calories and EVERYTHING else! There was a gain on the scale when I weighed myself this morning. My main concern was that I wasn't going to be able to get back to it and that this was going to land me back to the addictive behavior that I was at before. It may have set me back physically but mentally I am right back on track. It's 5:30pm and I have had 3 carbs so far! I am feeling pretty great about this.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear it hasn't forced you to struggle! Nothing sweet tastes the same after, I find. Right now my favorite treat is the strawberry fat bomb recipe. Just knowing I have a batch in the freezer kept me from reaching for the Girl Scout cookies that showed up yesterday (ordered before I started this WOE).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @octobubbles I'd love to hear the Strawberry Fat Bomb recipe. I made one up with cocoa powder and cinnamon, but it has a net carb impact higher than some... I have a lemon one I mostly like. And Cream Cheese Clouds, that's my horizons so far.

That and my jello fat bombs I almost forgot about! Need to make more tonight.