TELL ME YOUR TRICKS TO GET IN IRON

Options
Hi everyone!
So I am now 7 months out (RNY) and I am seeing my surgeon tommorow for a checkup. Last visit a few months ago my iron was low and I was slightly anemic. Doc put me on an iron supplement of course, 60mg 3X's a day. A lot right? I take my viatamins religiously, everyday. I use Bariatric Advantage and have been taking the iron as told everyday, well my blood work came back(I can go to my healthcare providers website and see my results)anyways, I checked the results and my iron went from 26 to 27 (it should be 37) :|
So as I said I will see the doc tomorrow, I am disappointed I thought my results were going to be much better!
So I know I will get his advice too but I want to ask you all that may have had this problem how you get in more iron. Your favorite iron rich foods, and how do you cook them as to not cook away the iron??

Thanks Peeps!! ;)

Jena

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don' t take iron, but I remember the discussions about iron and other vitamins and minerals (calcium?) not playing well with each other. I recall that the iron needed to be scheduled very rigidly to ensure its absorption. Something to check into, perhaps.

Rob
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Yes I take iron and calcium about 1.5 hours apart from each other. So we'll see if I need to make it more. Thanks Rob!! :)
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C will help iron absorption. Take iron + vitamin C at same time but separate from other vitamins. Oddly I was anemic before surgery and had to take prescription doses of iron, but since surgery have not had any iron deficiency. Don't even take iron as a supplement at all now.

Spinach, raw or cooked, is one of my favorite iron rich foods.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Thanks girl, you know how awesome I think you are!! <3
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Take the iron with vitamin C but never with calcium. Calcium blocks absorption, vitamin C helps it. I've never been low and take a slow Fe 45 (no C) once per day at noon. I hate to say it, but some folks just have a hard time absorpting certian minerals and end up having to be infused occasionally. Good luck.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Traditionally Iron supplements dont absorb well with the human body, never mind after weight loss surgery. I do take the supplements as prescribed by my doctor, but have heard about an iron supplement Spatone pur-Absorb Liquid Iron Supplement, it is a small packet of iron rich water. Doesnt taste very good and isnt a very high dose of Iron, but the theory is, you will absorb more iron into your system with the iron water vs a iron pill.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Great thank so much! I am actually at the docs office right now so we'll see what we come up with. I will definately ask about the vitamin c. Definately can't hurt right?!
    :)
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm on a prescribed iron supplement right now. Both my doctor and my dietician said to take it with vitamin C. I take it every night with some juice, and my omega 3 pill.
    I take my prenatal vitamin about an hour later. I can't take any of them in the morning, they upset my stomach too much.
    I don't have to take calcium
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was anemic before I had surgery in November. In January I had my hemoglobin checked and it was at 11. (should be at least 11.7) I just had it checked again in March and despite taking the double does of vitamins w/iron, it is now 10.7. I have slow-release iron pills that are 45 mg. I was advised to take 1per day w/vitamin C. However, my primary doc said to get the best therapeutic level I need to take 3 of these pills per day. I'm going to have to work out a schedule to make sure I don't take them too close to the calcium chews I take 3 time per day but still have food in my stomach so I don't get nauseous.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    He wasn't overly concerned, he wants me to reach out to my primary doctor and get a referral to hematologist to see if they would want to do an infusion at this time. I asked about the vitamin C and he said bariatric advantage includes it in the iron supplement. Thank you all for your help!