Hello

Options
I'm just starting on the road towards weight loss surgery. I got to ok from my PCP, and am going to the surgeon's informational seminar on March 12. Really excited and impatient! :)

Replies

• LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking that first step! I had my surgery on 2/19 and it went really well. Feel free to add me as a friend!

Jen
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    It will be here before you know it!! I was sleeved 1/13/15. Feel free to friend me as well!
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was sleeved 12/16/14 feel free to add me as a friend as well :)
  • new_me_jrp
    new_me_jrp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks! My mom is also joining me at the seminar. She's looking into surgery as well.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! The first steps are so exciting! I had surgery on 10-9-13, and it's the best decision I have ever made.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Welcome - I started the process in January and hope to have surgery in May or June. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Here is my newcomer's advice:

Read through as many pages of discussions here as you can. You will see a wide breadth of pre/post/surgery experiences. No one can tell you what your path will be, but you can be pretty certain it will fall into that envelope.

Along the way, take note of people at all stages of the process and add friends. Most of us are pretty open to WLS friends. That way, you will really start to see the non-headline parts of the process; what we eat every day, what we struggle with, etc. That will give you a glimpse into the process that is different from what you read in the groups.

My personal advice: hit the pre-surgery diet and exercise *hard*. Everything you lose pre-surgery will be one less pound you need to lose post surgery, and the habits and behaviors you develop will serve to make the post-surgery experience that much easier. I lost a ton of weight pre-surgery, which made my overall goal of 180 pounds achievable within the 6-9 month 'honeymoon period' after surgery. I also believe that being in better physical shape made the physical effects of surgery much easier.

Good luck and feel free to send a friend request!

Rob
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step! I had RNY 18 months ago. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sleeved November 12, 2014. As stated above, all of us have had different pre and post op experiences, but I can almost guarantee you'll have a hard time finding someone who regrets the decision. Good luck.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on April 26, 2010, then converted to RNY January 20, 2015, due to GERD. Best to you during this process. Read everything you can. These forums are awesome for learning what others have experienced. Then have a list and ask questions that you may have during the seminar. How exciting for you! The first steps can be the hardest!