Large size clothes NOT designed for someone short!

Options
Hi I am Dianne and I am just 5' 3", I am 52 and I weigh 91 Kg -(200lbs), I have just joined this group. Here is something that frustrates me no end, when I try to shop for clothes for my size (presently a size 20 Australian), I find the slacks are way too long and even the calf pants are just about round my ankles. I sometimes shop at My Size and when I get the brochures the model looks like a giantess - I am sure she 6ft tall. That is why I am trying to lose weight. Fat Chance! My calorie intake is way too high, and much as I try I cannot seem to reduce it much because of my condition. I have PKU and because my diet is STRICTLY VEGAN, that includes no bread, pasta, rice and no dairy it is very difficult. I have to have my supplements four times a day for my protein (without Phenylalanine) and Vitamins and minerals that I miss out on because I don't eat meat and dairy. My condition is such that I cannot process protein (the phenylalanine) in my body and it can build up and cause brain damage and nerve damage amongst other things. It seems to me that the fashion world out there panders to the young, skinny and the very tall. I don't intend to be fat and 60, heck I didn't even want to be fat and 50, but I am. I am also on MFP and it is a handy tool for tracking those sneaky calories and proteins that can add up. I would love to have feedback about your experiences with clothes shopping.

Replies

• bethgrayster
    bethgrayster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Dianne! I am 5'1" and even most pants sold as "short length" are too long on me. I have just become really good at sewing a hem. My clothes issues are with tops. When I get things in my size the arm holes come down too low and the shoulder seams are half way to my elbows! That is much harder to alter myself.
  • dccutting
    dccutting Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree, I find that annoying too, I mean I have a big bust as it is, and I don't need to look any bigger with giant sleeves that are supposedly short sleeves. Sometimes I try rolling them up, but they never stay up
  • MPryor80
    MPryor80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nice to know I am not the only one with this issue! I am 33 and I am 5'2". I have a hard time finding cute somewhat trendy plus sized short clothing. Pants come up too high(some up to my arm pits!), are way super long, and the crotch of some pants comes down almost to my knees!!

Also, tops tend to be a lot of problems. Because of my fun sizedness...my compacted chunky belly gives me that pregnant belly type of look, so many shirts offered are cut/sewn like maternity clothing. Plus bra straps are VERY long. On almost all of my bras the straps are tightened as far as they can go!!

My goal is to continue to lose weight so I don't have to shop in the "Plus Sized" section anymore! At least a growing number of department stores are offering "Petite" sections with cute clothes...I just have to be able to grow down into them!!

Best of luck ladies on your clothing journeys!!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You'll have this pants problem at any size, unfortunately. I'm 5'1" and a size 8 (US) these days and regular length pants are 6-8" too long... sometime more! Even petite pants are typically too long for me. As someone mentioned above, if you're short, knowing how to hem is a good skill. My mom, who's 61 and a size 8/10 and says she's 5' even (she's actually like 4'10") has a seamstress she takes her pants and jackets to.

As for tops and whatnot, everyone gains/stores fat in different areas so as you lose fat most things will fit better, but not everything. I'm pretty busty (hourglass) for how short I am, so a one piece bathing suit that fits me doesn't currently exist, even after losing weight. That's just my cross to bear! :wink:
  • Tevajane
    Tevajane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    5 Feet and trying not to shrink. Clothes are always a challenge when vertically challenged. So glad that my Mom taught me how to sew. Sometimes I just take what I need shortened to her if I don't have the time. Getting in better shape makes a world of difference in how my clothing fits.
  • meganlea2431
    meganlea2431 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and I always struggles with finding clothes that fit right. I always buy my jeans in the short length but still need to wear heals or take off a few inches. And tops are even harder!!! My bust is higher so anything with even the lightest scoop or v neck needs a cami and the waist alwasy sits too low. I wish we were back in the day where all that clothes were custom sewn.
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and I always struggles with finding clothes that fit right. I always buy my jeans in the short length but still need to wear heals or take off a few inches. And tops are even harder!!! My bust is higher so anything with even the lightest scoop or v neck needs a cami and the waist alwasy sits too low. I wish we were back in the day where all that clothes were custom sewn.

In bigger city areas, sometimes there are Petites shops. I've noticed the "Short" lengths on the rack at regular stores really aren't cut any differently, just awkwardly chopped off 1-2 inches from the "Average" length. "Petite" cuts have a better overall proportion, even in the larger sizes. It's not only our legs that are shorter, but our arms and torso too, so it all matters.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am 4'2, carry weight on my chest and mid section.
    The weight that Ive lost has been mainly on my top 1/2 with my mid section like an inner tube in the font of me :sob:
    Because Im too big for the kids and even most of the juniors, I cant shop in that section
    On the other hand, the other section is clearly for people much taller than me :confused:
    What I tend to do is look for capri's which then (most of the time) fit me like regular size pants w/ the exception that sometimes the low(er) end of the pants are wide(r).
    This is because theyre meant for the higher up part of a womens leg where its typically bigger (thicker).
    For shirts in the winter, my arms are still short(er) than the average height person so even though I buy the 1/4 cut sleeve, I either have to re-adjust the length or roll them up.
    So much work altering clothes for these reasons!
  • floydette6
    floydette6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and detest pants shopping. All of me "height" is in my torso, so my legs are disproportionately short. But my feet are huge (9 U.S.). After 2 kids and poor diet and exercise habits, my waist is pretty thick and squishy, but my boobs, bum and legs are still tiny. So any pants I find that fit me in the waist look baggy everywhere else and sometimes go up to 6 inches past my toes! I can make footed jeans out of them! I don't know how to hem so I buy heeled shoes when I can.
    I feel like tall women with nice hips are just soooo lucky lol. We short girls should be burning twice the calories cuZ I feel we have to work twice as hard to get around lol.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    I have found L.L.Bean jeans that fit my body - they are stretchy but real denim - the waist stretches as well, which I really need because I have similar issues (big waist). I buy the petite size 18 and they work for me. I'm 5 feet and currently weigh about 166 and they are starting to get a tiny bit looser, which is gratifying (I was as high as 178 at one point and even the 18s were getting tight. That's when I decided I had to do something). I also like Alfred Dunner petites, which are usually elastic waist and come in the larger sizes. I always find it very offensive that some petite clothing lines don't even come in sizes bigger than 12 or 14. None of these outfits will make you a fashion plate but since I am 61 that isn't really my goal. At least they fit and look right on me.
  • DawnPodojil
    DawnPodojil Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My husband makes fun of me because I HATE PANT SHOPPING! Drives me crazy! So, I have 3 pair of trousers for work and 1 pair of jeans. The rest - skirts and dresses. So much easier to find the right length in a skirt or dress.
  • zorks4ever
    Options
    I, too, opt for skirts whenever I can, especially when buying suits. All my weight is in my middle and trying to find pants to fit the round part is hard enough. I have found that "Stitch Witchery" is great for quick no-sew hemming. And, I have hacked off feet and feet of fabric to get the right length.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I used to like buying petites from Alia. Has anyone else noticed that buying petites now is not enough... they are making them longer. You need to look for petite - short! I was not impressed.
  • danalopez52
    danalopez52 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I buy petites in pants and still they are too long! I try to look for regular "ankle" pants, because those tend to fit close to right. In shirts, however, I hate petites because they are to short in the torso on me, and it's uncomfortable. I'd rather have my shirts a bit longer than petite clothing allows. I'll deal with the longer sleeves if I have to!
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I barely reach 5' and have a horrible time finding pants that fit. Usually I ask a friend to hem them. Or buy capris and wear them as full length jeans. I hate searching in the petites section... nothing seems to fit right. Often I'll spend a day at Goodwill instead, looking for used clothes that fit me, rather than having to hem new clothes.
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am around 4' 10" myself and struggle with all of that too. Bigger in the tummy so saggy added at the back! I find that petite clothes don't take any decent bust size into consideration. And as for dresses- the waist line is always at my hips, so it never looks right. I use iron on "wonda web" for my jeans.
  • 64mustangsue
    64mustangsue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 1/2" and am down to 102lbs, still can't find clothes that fit. It doesn't matter if you are plus size or not. With vanity sizing everything is to big and always to long even petites. Today I am wearing a skirt I have had for years (one I didn't get rid of when I was heavy) it is a size 4 and fits perfect. The new size 4 falls off literally. This is one I did not have to shorten either. Good thing I sew!
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I hated having to buy bigger jeans to fit because I couldn't fit in my size 6P's anymore. At least I could find the 6P's. I also didn't have a lot of money, so I had to go to a thrift store. Okay, I can find 10's but finding 10's that weren't too long or dopey (I don't like the style that makes your but look big and your legs look like toothpicks in comparison, or the one where the waistline is right at your hip bones). I sometimes find 1 pair, sometimes 2 I can live with. So I just rotate those 2 with my size 8P jeans and the one pair of size 6P that still lets me breathe and move, albeit less comfortably. I hope to get rid of those size 10's someday.
  • Dinah2
    Dinah2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tried Diane Gilman pants. She designs her clothes to fit the baby boomers. She has jeans that are called super stretch which you can buy and they still fit a size smaller or bigger. She also makes the waist bigger that is a common problem to get rid of muffin top. She has petites also. They are a bit pricey but seem to fit me good and sooo comfortable. She is on HSN. Her original stretch jeans are shorter on me. If you don't like them you can send them back.
  • Dinah2
    Dinah2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    She also has plus petites. If you decide on the super stretch they say to size down