Maxine's Challenge 2015

Replies

• peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    @MarieFroz‌ arvo means afternoon. Don't beat yourself up over the chocolate, it happens. You've realised where your weakness came from, dusted yourself off and are back on track. That's awesome!

Went for a bike ride this morning for my cardio before my drs appointment. Now eating lunch on the couch and watching trashy daytime tv (I have the day off work due to my appointment).

Yesterday the menu asked for me to have a Maxine's cookie. I didn't buy any of them so I substituted it with 2 eggs as the cookie had 13.6g of protein and the eggs have 12.6g of protein. I figure the small amount the fats and carbs are out are negligible in the scheme of things.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Well done on the fitness test Marie, I don't think I'd be able to do one chin up so I'd be even more excited if I could do two.

Peejay hope you're feeling a bit better by now. Always sucks when you're not feeling the best. Must say I have tried the cookies and am not a real fan of them. Find them a bit heavy. Much prefer the bars.

Skim was just wondering when you do your morning workout, do you eat before hand. I read so much how it's better to have a pre snack before you work out. I wake up at 5:15 and normally at the gym 20min later. So don't normally eat before but am worried I'd be doing more harm than good by not having a pre snack.

Day three was good for me. Food wise hit my macros perfectly. I'm doing 40% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. Exercise wise Did a run on the treadmill. Much prefer outdoors but since it's so dark in the morning now have to be satisfied with the treadmill.

Food plan done for tomorrow, so now it's off to bed for me.

• Miffylou
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Marie, failure is not an option. Ok so you had some chocolate but that was then and this is now. Don't beat yourself up about it - this is all about choices... good better and best. Move onwards and upwards and you will be fine. One day does not make the challenge a bust. Just keep going one day at a time :)
    Fantastic result on the chin ups too!!! I can't do ANY unassisted!!

PJ, I did buy some of the cookies but they are still sitting in the box. They are actually a trigger food for me to have a binge - I can have them in the box no problem at all, but if I eat one, I'll want to eat them all. Hi my name is Skim and I am a sugar addict. I know it's artificial sugar, but it reacts the same way in my body and head. Anyway I bought them if I am going OUT anywhere and wont be able to take real food.

So instead of a cookie I just have a protein snack of some sort, or a boiled egg or my usual afternoon bag of raw veggies on the train on the way home from work.

Lou I don't eat before a workout. I did try it the year before last, but it just made me feel sick and burp the whole way through my training so I gave it up. Doesn't affect my performance in the slightest and there are PLENTY of studies to suggest that fasted training is actually good for fat loss. Personally I think that it's up to the individual. Just do what suits you best. I prefer to train fasted, but having said that if I do an afternoon workout (very rarely) I'll obviously have eaten something beforehand but I have to wait 2 hours after eating or I get the whole burping thing again.

Whatever works for YOU - do that!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    I have had a cracker of a week!! (*)

2 x upper and 2 x lower training sessions. 3 x cardio sessions and walking every day.

Diet has been spot on according to my goals. Really happy with progress so far - LOL!!! It's day 5!! hehehe... Hope I'll be this focussed on Day 50!

I'm seeing my old favourite PT tomorrow morning for a fitness assessment. The last time I saw her was last year when I was JUST getting over my glandular fever and had put on a couple of kilos and looking a bit soft, so I'm really curious to hear what she says when she sees me tomorrow. I saw my other old (but not fave) PT this morning and she said I looked like I was at goal - so that was nice.

Tomorrow I'm going to go over my plan with favourite PT and will show her the Maxines's Training Schedule (which is not what I am doing) and meal plan and get her feedback on it. I know what she'll say already and I'm pretty sure she will approve of my plan for this first 4 weeks. I'll step it up in the next 4 weeks but as they say - diet is king!!!

Happy Friday everyone!! So glad to see that we are all doing so well :)
  • peejaygee1
    edited February 2015
    Spot on with eating for me. Didn't train yesterday due to post medical procedure ickiness, so I've moved the program forward 1 day meaning I did Thursday's workout today. It'll have me back on track by Monday. Super proud of my efforts so far. Keep up the great work guys!
  • Miffylou
    Thanks skim for the advice. Totally agree need to do what's best for me.
    I was a little hungry a couple of mornings this week which would make sense as I've been sticking to my eating plan. So ate a rice cracker on the way to the gym. Doesn't sound like much but it was light and enough to settle the hunger till I got home. I always have a fairly filling breakfast so I know I won't be going hungry after that.

Been happy with my progress this week and looking forward to next week.

Peejay hope you're feeling better by now..

Heading out this arvo high tea. Feeling a bit posh but looking forward to going out with my girlfriends. Will make sure I don't overindulge. As I'm heading out about 1 might just skip lunch and have a light dinner.

Have a great day.
  • peejaygee1
    edited March 2015
    Went camping for the weekend, and had myself some (and some more...lol) wine on Saturday night. Felt OK Sunday, but also had dinner at my in-laws so meals weren't to plan. I am proud of myself though, because I passed up pavlova for dessert and had an apple instead.

Also, because I was away from home until near 10 o'clock last night I didn't do my planned weights session (the one scheduled for Saturday per my post above about moving my rest day).

All good though, as it was in the first week. Back on track today!

1 week down...only 11 more to go!!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday!!

I've been Super Busy with life, but tracking well for the challenge.

Last week I fitted in 5 training sessions and 2 cardio sessions, plus walked 10,000 steps every day. My FitBit had a shower on Saturday morning so had to have a little holiday in a glass of rice, but it survived. Pity, because I would have clocked up at least 25,000 steps on Saturday but I know I did it, don't have to have the FitBit validate me!

Nutrition went to plan with the exception of Saturday night when I went out for lunch that turned into dinner and had about a bottle of wine plus 2 Mai Tai cocktails over 10 hours so it sounds bad, but was over a long time!! I'm not feeling at all bad about it. I was eating SUPER fabulously all week and I didn't eat badly at dinner, it was just the alcohol that wasn't in my plan. BUT I had a great night out with friends and I don't get the opportunity to do that very often so it was well worth it.

Sunday I pulled everything back into gear, had a rest day but ate well.

Yesterday was a huge day, I was up at 4:30am for weight training, spent a day at work and then got home at 6:30pm, had to rush straight out the door as I had a business training session last night. Didn't get to bed until after 11pm - OMG so tired!!! Fortunately my DD spent the night at my mother's place so at least I didn't have to organise her as well. Ah, the life of a single parent!

This morning I slept in until 6am, there was no way I could get up at 4:30 after so little sleep. Did light legs and back today. My hamstrings are STILL at bit sore from last Friday when I did a really big leg workout so I did lighter weights, high reps.

Feeling great - Day 9 :) lets hope we all keep this enthusiasm going!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    PJ, hope you are feeling better this week. Funny - I had a letter from my dr telling me that I am due for an update (same thing)... I thought of you!! LOL!

Camping sounds good, good work skipping the pav! Missing a workout here and there wont matter, I always think that as long as the nutrition component is on track that's the most important thing.

Lou - yep, good on you, gotta do what's right for you. I don't mind training fasted but I know people who eat even at 4:30am before they work out. Whatever works best - is best! Good to hear that you are focussed.

Hope that the high tea went well :) I think it's great to still go out and do these things in the challenge and I do the same thing as well - cut back for the rest of the day on food and make sure that I make the best choice that's available. I honestly think that if we don't do those things then it makes it harder in the long term. This really is a LIFESTYLE change and there will always be something that pops up. It's just a matter of how we handle it.

Marie, I was going to do my fitness test but completely forgot about it and now too late to add the numbers to my MC profile!! Argh!! I'll write it in my workout diary and do it anyway and add to my challenge blog... I have done one blog post so far, but I don't think it really matters since I'm private anyway and no one can see it but me and the Admins.

Right - off to start work now. Hope everyone has a fabulous day :D
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Fitness Videos... Anyone got some to share?

Here's a link to P90X Accelerator. I haven't done it so can't comment but apparently it's good. I had the Jillian Michaels ones but can't find them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4222844/P90X Accelerator.mp4
  • MarieFroz
    MarieFroz Posts: 302 Member
    Hi everybody,

I hope you all are alright!

Skim, I was wondering the same about videos, I'd like to have some videos workout but can't find something I like or that is not just a trial and I have to pay to see entirely...

PJ, I hope you feel better, and you were so strong with the pavlova!

Lou, are you still hungry?!

Week 1
    What a week.. As I celebrated my birthday last week, I consider it was not a good week, too much opportunities to drink and celebrate... Too much alcohol and sugar (the BIG brownie my flatmate made me was so good but full of sugar too...--> I found a recipe without sugar, dairy or flour but the taste is not the same... :-)

I stuck to my program for weight lifting (and I'm surprised I am already able to weigh more!), but made cardio just once, and my chin splints came back during the run, so I was not happy with my performance.
    I walked a lot but doesn't track it and I consider is more living than training...
    I planned to play squash 3 times, and the 3 times have been cancelled due to my partner...

So I've decided to do my sport in the morning ALONE now and don't count anymore on somebody else. If my partner wants to play squash, well I'll go! Even if I trained in the morning, but at least he won't screw my plans anymore

Week 2
    So I've started week 2, more motivated, did my weight training on Monday, I like it I have to admit it, and this morning I was almost sad to do only cardio...
    I used to do body weight before, but I found it too long and boring and results appeared very slowly...
    Maybe I'm not a real girl, at least mentally I'm a tomboy :-) but I love seing my muscles grow up and I'm proud of lifting weight now...

Thighs
    The only problem, is that I've took 3 cm in thighs in 2 months (of muscles, I even have discovered new quadriceps on my thighs...), and as I am tiny with thick thighs normally, I'm afraid my thighs will become very very big, as I'd like to slim them... I've heard that it should be due to squats or leg press, what do you think? Should I stop to do squats and leg press? Or maybe try "Sumo squats" which are supposed to muscle the inside of thighs?
    At least it is better than fat, but if I would be able to slim my thighs, that would be so far better! I've inserted this wonderful picture of me at the gym :-) if you have any recommendation... Don't pay attention at my face...

I use an app a friend developed for having my seance cadenced by rest time and record my progress (on Android only...), if you're interested, tell me!

Swimming
    This morning, I went for the first time in the swimming pool of my residence, and I loved it! I was alone, and made my 1km. It made a long time I didn't swim, and I was able to see the improvement due to weight lifting, my arms are stronger, and I am able to go faster than before, I am so happy!

Personal ;)
    Hopefully, I fell good and this challenge helps me a lot! If I would have not joined, I think I would be depressed and discouraged...
    From December I'm looking for work, and although I have diploma and experience but not here in Oz, it doesn't work...
    I have this *kitten* Working Holiday Visa which labels me automatically as an alcoholic, lazy, thief, crappy backpacker (moreover I'm French... :D )
    Hopefully my BF found work, but it's so psychologically hard to receive refusals or not having news from recruiters or to not fit in the proper tick
    This challenge helps me keeping motivated, at least I have to succeed in!

Have a nice day and hope everything goes right for you!

• SkimFlatWhite68
    Hi Marie,

Glad you had a nice birthday!!

Good idea to plan your training around yourself, if you are relying on someone who is NOT reliable, then it wont happen. Just go in the morning and if you get an extra cardio workout in then that's a bonus.

RE the thighs - your NUTRITION is going to shred the fat from your body. That's number one. I've got quite muscular quads from years of skating and netball but I promise you the more weights I do the smaller and harder my legs get, it's the FAT on the top that makes them bigger and that's what has to go. Training your legs will improve your muscle and will also burn body fat at rest, so I'd keep it up if I were you. You don't have to lift heavy, maybe keep to a lighter weight with higher reps but I would never stop training legs. Maybe you could concentrate more on your glutes - legs will still get a workout but then you can focus on having a more rounded butt.

Oh - and I'm about the girliest girl you can think of, and I LOVE lifting weights. There's nothing tomboy about me in the slightest. Do what you love I say and who cares what anyone thinks.

Good luck with the job hunt, it's a tough market out there!! Just keep at it.
  • MarieFroz
    MarieFroz Posts: 302 Member
    Hi Girls!

Thanks for your message Skim, I'll continue exercices... I've decreased a little bit the weight for leg press and will add some leg lunges for glute exercices...
    Hope it will work and will not have big big thighs in 12 weeks :-)

Stretching
    I was thinking of adding a program of stretching in the evening 3 times a week, I have a total body stretching plan who last 30 minutes (and that helps a lot in relaxing too), and I think maybe would be great to help in increasing flexibility (I am not very good in it...) and maybe help in not gaining too much volume in my muscles?? (I suppose, but I don't have sciences information to prove it :-)

Fitness plan
    I am motivated in changing the fitness plan and go to Get Strong, as I like the fact of working especially some muscles and alternate the days. I still want to lose weight but as I have time now, I would like to exercice more... What do you think? Would it be a good idea?
    Which one are you doing at the moment?

For me it is between 28 and 40 minutes, depending if I respect the rest time (I find 2 minutes is very long even if I am at my maximum load during the exercice)... So sometimes I do supersets if I'm short in time

Nutrition
    There is no brownie anymore, no bad stuff in my kitchen, except the hazelnut chocolate of my roommate, but I will resist!
    I have my 85% cocoa chocolate in any case of need of chocolate-fix, and Ryvita rye crispbread if I really want to have something to CRUNCH (55 cal for 2 crispbreads, and I've seen than 90% of the time I don't stick to my plan it's because i want a crunch effect)

I have started a culture of milk kefir and water kefir, the first one for replacing yoghurt and having more probiotics and the second one, to have something less sad than water if I want to drink alcool and more natural than 0 calories soda that I find very disgusting... It's like a lemonade but with almost no sugar. I like it very much, tomorrow I will taste the raspberry-ginger one, yummy!

Have a nice day!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Marie, I am always pressed for time and ALWAYS superset everything I do at the gym. I can do a good workout in 40 minutes and 60 minutes for me is a long workout. Then I do my cardio after.

If you stick with the Nutrition plan and do Get Strong, you will slim down for sure. Keep up the good work.

Danispen is going to join us - so I want to say hello before she comes in... Hi Dani!!! Welcome aboard!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Did a CIRCUIT class this morning after leg/back session. Didn't love it but it was a great workout - lots of cardio and HIIT work. Not sure I'll do it again but it's good to do something different every now and again.

Day 12 and feeling good!!
  • Danispen
    Danispen Posts: 50 Member
    hi Maxines challengers - I have joined but starting late due to way too many excuses. but I will spend some time reading and sorting and get back to you all.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Welcome Dani!!! It's not too late to start - better now that in week 10 :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Happy Sunday Challengers!!

I had a rest day yesterday but did my Saturday workout this morning at home. Triceps and Abs - I did 10 sets of 10 tricep pushups superset with about 200 crunches. I had to drop to my knees at about the 3rd set and by the end of the 10th set my arms were begging me to stop!! I was failing each set - but could then go again after my crunch set, so recovery was good. Feel fine now though... Crunches weren't too bad either. I did variations of upper and lower and a few obliques thrown in as well.

Food has been all over the place, I'm still hitting my macros even though calories have been a bit low the last couple of days - I've just been SO busy that food hasn't been on my radar. Back to regular routine tomorrow and I will have my meals packed to take to work, so it will be easier to keep on track.

A total stranger (a man) told me I looked lovely on Friday, how nice is that!

I'm feeling good - really positive about the week ahead and happy to say that I apart from a few wines last weekend and again on Friday night I haven't had any recreational sugar, am also still off the wheat and having limited dairy, I really think it makes a difference because I don't crave any of those things anymore. All good!!

How is everyone else going??
  • peejaygee1
    I'm back on board. Last few days have been off training and bad food choices but it was only a couple of days and I'm back and more determined now. I just need to look at moving my training days around a bit to make room for my other commitments. I've written about it in my blog if you want to have a look see and give some advice, please?

Hope all are going well.