How do you stop yourself...

Options
...feeling like you're using your pain as an excuse not to exercise enough?

I've had fibro for 10 years and because I know what it is, I can usually tell when pain is just fibro pain and it's ok to exercise with that because it's not something "serious" (ie: damaging). But, I've also been experiencing an as yet undiagnosed severe abdominal pain, which I'm having exploratory surgery about at some point next year (NHS waiting lists suck). My main exercise is swimming. I like to go every other day but when the pain is bad, I don't go. I also really want to do workout DVDs to work on my trouble areas, but it seems to me like doing abdo exercises and heavy weights when I have this pain, that could be goodness knows what (adhesions, cysts, hernia, endometriosis, anything), these types of exercise are probably not a good idea. But I feel like I'm using my pain as an excuse to not do it? If it was fibro pain, I can usually tell myself to exercise anyway because I know fibro gets worse without exercise, but I don't know what this is! So I'm thinking maybe I could do damage? I asked my doctor and he had no comment and neither did my surgeon, other than, wait to see if the pain sorts itself out. No comment on exercise.

How do you stop yourself feeling like you're using your pain as an excuse? I feel pathetic.

Replies

• keiratrembath
    Options
    You're not using your pain as an excuse, with Fibro, your body can't handle to much exercise, and that's okay. Don't feel bad, maybe just try to do slower exercises first, then work up. Like go for a little walk first then gradually build in everything else?
  • TabithaRyan68
    TabithaRyan68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i believe in always listening to your body. If your pain is too severe then you shouldn't exercise. Or maybe switch it up. Can you do a hatha yoga on super bad days instead?
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my body is going to punish me for days for any significant exercise. I'm trying to increase my daily activities by making things less convenient (making multiple trips to the printer, stuff like that.) I'd like more, but I haven't found anything yet that doesn't make me hurt for days. (I do walk a couple of miles a day and miss it when I don't.)
  • ellzx
    ellzx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hey, honestly i wouldn't do any exercise that makes your abdo more painful. especially as its undiagnosed. swimming is a whole body workout even doing backstroke would aggravate your abdo
    I do leslie sansome walk at home dvds, i have fibro and chronic fatigue and gradually built up from just doing the 5 min warm up alternate days to daily then did it twice a day and built it up. im now up to 30mins pretty much 5 days a week :blush:
    I cant do weights atm or anything that puts too much stress on my joints but im hoping as my weight goes down i will be able to.
    If you need any help or advice let me know im always happy to help.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I found that I am more stubborn than is good for me. I do my exercise every single day without fail..... and seriously sometimes it is to my own detriment. BUT I have my own reasons for pushing myself so hard and it relates to self esteeem and not being able to work and needing to feel good and focused on and about something. I do 90 mins of laps around my house each day = 10,000 it doesn't get any easier... it truly doesn't but I think my mind is getting stronger... and sometimes that's a battle in itself.
  • sgoedicke
    sgoedicke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As someone who has had fibro for 15+ years, I can tell you that you DO need to listen to your body and it's NOT an excuse. We have very different signals than everyone else, and your ab pain is not normal. One of the best things you can do for exercise with fibro is your water activity and long walks. Don't push yourself too hard; even walking melts belly fat. We are all here for you!
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have also been incredibly stubborn. Pain is very personal. One cannot determine the degree of pain another endures. I have pressed on with daily requirements regardless of pain. I reasoned mind over matter to my own detriment. Since there is no bone poking out of my body or blood gushing from a wound it is easy for others to downgrade pain because I just kept going. Just get it done and keep quiet is how I've lived but that streak is over. I crashed and burned in a spectacular fashion. Rheumatiod Disease, Degenerative Disk Disease, thyroid disease, disk herniation and it all started with abdominal pain dx as endometriosis. Please don't think you are using pain as an excuse. It is your body and your life. Be kind to yourself. Only you can decide how far is too far. Small steps lead to bigger steps and eventually they turn to leaps. But today take care!