Staying on Track advice.

Options
I have been as low as 122 and am now 141 because I have some trouble staying on track and learning not to put everything in my mouth. I don't carry my weight well at all it is very visible that I am over weight. Dose anyone have any advice that might help?

Replies

• csillers13
    csillers13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Im really bad at staying on track too! Im alot better at maintaining, so I knew when I got pregnant, I was going to be in trouble once I had to lose the baby weight. ...and I was! My perfect weight is 136 and at the end of my pregnancy I was at a whooping 175....
    The thing that finally made the weight start coming off was tracking what I was eating on MFP. EVERYTHING! Something about seeing it made me reign it in. Im down to my last 10 lbs to lose and once again im having to really track my food (not leaving the little snacks here and there out) because these last 10 lbs are a killer to lose!
    Anywho! Hope that helps at all...I feel your pain!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Try keeping a diary and tracking what foods or situations trigger you to get off track (work celebrations, happy hour, sweets, etc.) Once you know what is most likely to derail you then you can start planning to deal with each challenge in whatever way works best for you.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I found that tracking calories in and out was the only way to stay on track as you feel guilty if you get the urge to go over. I reached my goal weight mid last year doing an Australian program Body & Soul Revolution, but once I stopped and no longer tracked my calories the weight has started to come on and I now have 5lbs to lose. And I workout 5 days a week at the gym three weights & cardio which takes 90mins and two just cardio 45mins, but without tracking calories I can still gain weight. I hope this helps.
  • Solamer
    Solamer Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Habits I had to learn:
    -Tracking
    -Not eating out so often so that I could track more accurately
    -Eating certain things helped my cravings, like getting enough fiber and protein
    -Drinking enough water
    -I learned what my trigger foods are (and am still learning). There are certain things I cannot buy because I will eat ALL of it. I started buying things that were similar but not as good so it still hit the craving but wasn't so good as to make me want to eat the whole box. (e.g. an entire pint of chocolate ice cream-can't put it down-400 cal vs. a fudgcicle popscicle-tasty but not as tasty so i can eat one, or two-40 cal)
  • skgarden
    skgarden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know tracking of food intake and what the state of emotion is (happy, depressed, down, bored) are both important and creates success for weight loss by making us aware of how the mood affects what we eat and how much. Keeping track of portion size is beneficial as well. I work with patients with diabetes and these are things we teach to those who need to balance carbs and often need to lose weight. Intuitive eating or mindful eating helps us recognize when we are truly hungry and when we are full. There is a great boo called "Intuitive Eating" that may be helpful.
  • skgarden
    skgarden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The author of "Intuitive Eating" is
    Evelyn Tribole; MS, RD
  • avotarian
    avotarian Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'll also add that having a good group of friends on here is a great motivator to sign in and log in your diary every day. I've added a number of people from this group, and everyone is great! you can add me too, if you'd like.

it also helps to track everything you eat, even if it seems small, like one handful of chips. I personally weigh everything with a food scale, as well. the cals can add up quick (depending on what you eat).
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    logging what you eat accurately. means use a kitchen scale and weigh everything. its the only way to truly know how much calories you are consuming.
  • runxcvii
    Options
    I have this problem too :(
  • vlheral4725
    vlheral4725 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, my problem is drinking wine most days and snacking at night. I was probably adding an extra 500 calories a day just in snacks so even though i was working out and eating well all day, it didn't show. So i switched to tea with sine stevia and almond milk after dinner ir walling on the treadmill if im gonna watch tv, cuz then i can't snack haha.
  • marechavala042
    marechavala042 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I could use some help here too. I'm doing pretty good I think. Been going for 40 days and always log and all but one day am always under my calorie count. But the last few days I'm having trouble with cravings. I want what I want and I want it now! Haha

I guess my question is this: If I go over my calorie count for the day once or twice a month, how detrimental is that? And I'm only talking like 200 over at most...

Please feel free everyone to add me. I can always use more support!
  • keganming49
    Options
    Sometimes having "cheat days" are actually beneficial! Going over every once in a while by 200 calories will not be that deterimental! It's ok to live a little once in a while! I have given myself one cheat meal or snack a week so that I don't go crazy because I absolutely love food! Maybe getting to my goal will be a tiny bit slower but so much more enjoyable!
  • lifeofagymbunny
    lifeofagymbunny Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not having anything in your house that could trigger you and tracking calories really helps me not to overeat :)
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Definitely not having anything in your house. You might be really mad that you don't have anything when you want a goodie, but it's the best way to avoid it!

I usually go over my calories on the weekend. But I'm usually under every other day so I think it evens out. I've lost 40 lbs and haven't been terribly strict which I think is what has worked for me. If i was super strict I wouldn't stick with it!
  • DiIDE
    Options
    I am the same with snacking. My husband is too thin 49kg and on advice from a dietitian we now have all the foods that I should not eat and did not buy previously. The chocolate and also the triple chocolate icecream are my downfall and I hate myself afterwards for giving in and eating them I have just made some air popped popcorn to snack on tonight. Wish me luck.
  • tight30
    tight30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems too. How would you suggest not having "trigger" foods in the house when you have three kids. I mainly buy organic but I do buy them treats here and there. I need to learn to stop myself before the act of putting the food in my mouth. Once I put it in my mouth, it's over! I can't stop! Then I have guilt. It's a vicious cycle. Mainly happens in the evening or night. I wake up ready to go and by 3pm I'm craving chocolate. Just made a commitment with myself to really try this time. Wish me luck!
  • DiIDE
    Options
    Good luck, i was under my calories yesterday so I allowed myself a little icecream but still felt like a failure.
  • yuyutu81
    yuyutu81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have found meal planning really helped. During the week when I am at work it's very easy to start snacking out of boredom. Since I started to plan my meals two weeks ago I tried to include snacks(healthy stuff), and it helped tremendously.
    High fiber and good protein is pretty much my diet and I keep myself hydrated through out the day. Every time I feel I want to eat something I drink water first.
    Weekend tends to disastrous if we eat out and all but definitely log everything in the tracker so it gives you an idea how you are doing. I had a pretty terrible two days this weekend but I cut back a lot today and hit the gym hard core all weekend to make it up.
    I love food too much so I will never let myself feel deprived. But definitely try to eat smart and eat clean.
    Good luck!!