emotional eating and depression

Options
I struggle with depression and it's easy for me to overeat when in depressed mood. Does anyone else struggle with depression?

Replies

• sueatherbest
    sueatherbest Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't think I struggle with depression. I eat when I'm bored, tired, angry, too hungry and stressed. White potatoes create the sensation of depression so I avoid them.
    I'm not sure if you're comfortable with cross-talk, but maybe some probing questions would help...
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression. My diagnosis though is schizoaffective bipolar type. I've been in a depressed episode since about September. My eating has been everywhere.
  • MakeMetheLeanQueen
    Options
    I have depression. Yesterday I was just struggling with not trying to overeat. You just get in one of those moods, you're not really hungry but all you can think about is how great it would feel to grab a handful of crap and stuff it into your face to try to feel better. It sucks. I can't seem to stop it.
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Currently i am not, but in the past have been and then it can go 2 ways: binging or no desire to eat at all. I still have to watch myself when i am upset / emotional, because i tend to eat it away.
  • BubonicTonic
    BubonicTonic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do struggle with depression, and I am very self-critical. I also live in a very cold climate which makes getting regular exercise difficult. When the days get shorter and colder, I just want to hibernate. Of course that leads to eating in order to make myself feel better. I use food as a reward, an escape, an activity, entertainment. I gain a few pounds, my clothes get tighter, I freak out at what I've done - criticize myself, and start the pattern over. Getting regular exercise is so important to breaking this cycle, even if it's 10 minutes of yoga or going for a short walk. Fresh air and exercise, meditation, centering, journaling, and even pouring your heart out online really helps. One thing that helps me a lot to not be so self-critical is to think, if I were my best friend, how would I treat myself? Take a step back and be kind to yourself.
  • 03emily03
    03emily03 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also want to eat for comfort when I am feeling down. Staying busy helps me from overeating and it helps curb my negative thoughts. I will usually try to read or clean when I am feeling that way because it gives me something else to focus on.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I can relate! One tool I learned is H.A.L.T. Learning to recognize whether you are hungry, angry, lonely or tired in the moment when you want to binge or overeat. So, right now I want to eat, but it is 11:00, and I had a big breakfast. I am not really hungry -- just tired and low dopamine. . . So, I'll force myself to wait.
  • sueatherbest
    sueatherbest Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use H.A.L.T. too. Especially at the end of my day when I soon tired and just want to reach for food to medicate.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression. And when I start to eat my emotions I know I need to take care so that I won't end up further in that cycle.
  • really_leah
    Options
    Yes, since I was a child. :-( It sucks. I also suffer from anxiety, and disordered eating.
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat for everything. I have a VERY unhealthy relationship with food. It literally is my best friend. I am trying hard to learn how to do other things when I want to eat a bag of Oreos.

My main downfall is eating at night when I am sitting watching TV, too lazy to get up off the couch and go to bed. REALLY? Yes. I ask myself all the time why I don't just go to bed instead of eating to stay awake.... I seriously JUST NOW had an epiphany.

Late at night is the only time I have to myself. So NOW I just have to find things to do instead of eating to please my need for "me time".

Glad I stopped by this thread to see what others had to say.
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    PS.. Anyone that wants to add me for support, Please feel free. I have a couple friends that have posted in this group. I will do my best to support anyone in this journey. I need all the supportive peeps I can get!!! <3
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with depression on and off since I was a teenager and I also have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I moved to a sunny part of the country so the SAD isn't as bad as it used to be. I saw a naturopath a couple of years ago who recommended high doses of Omega 3's so I started taking 4 grams per day and after about a month I noticed a difference. When I'm good about taking it regularly I can definitely tell a difference. My brain needs it, a lot of it, and more than diet can provide.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    In the past, depression made me eat less. I think that boredom, anxiety, and loneliness are more responsible for my emotional over-eating.
  • MACE1610
    MACE1610 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do not eat from depression but I sure do from anxiety and boredom.
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have suffered on and off from depression since 19. Like mentioned above I can sway either direction if Im in a depressive episode... binge or no appetite at all. I manage way better these days but I have had to go through the unpleasant weight gain with meds over the last eight years... I'm on smaller doses now and instead use supplements for the brain regularly and they have helped... and Im starting to feel back on track with the person I knew before .. exercise really helps :)...
  • ldgcng
    ldgcng Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Like most everyone here, I suffer from chronic depression. I eat when I'm feeling blue but also when I'm bored or anxious. I'm back on MFP after gaining most of the weight I lost last year. If you'd like some support, please add me. I can use lots of support too!
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression for years now. I eat when I am stressed or feeling down so that's most of the time! Then I feel even worse for comfort eating and it starts a viscous cycle :(
  • Sarah421151
    Sarah421151 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had a very rough 2 yrs(lost both parents) and have depression bouts more than I care to admit! It is a struggle but I have been trying to eat healthy when it hits. I have left a bag of apples on my counter so that when I am struggling it is the first thing I see. The benefits to this is my son is eating more fruits than junk now!! Try to have something around that is healthy but soothes these moments.
  • lgodwin413
    lgodwin413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes. I struggle with depression and anxiety and use food to self medicate. I know from my past that exercise helps tremendously. It's an ongoing struggle.