If you got faster by going slower... (HR training)

Options
FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
I would love to hear your story and how long it took.

I'm two months in, and I see my heart rate is recovering MUCH faster now and hills are being slow-run instead of walked. But, I am soooooo ridiculously slow. I see people on Garmin Connect who take these awesome easy runs and maintain a low heart rate... But they are twice as fast as me. You seriously cannot imagine how slow I am at the right hear rate! It reinforces the concept that I really NEED to address this (heart rate training), but I'm wondering if it's going to take....year or yearS?

Thanks!

Replies

• vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is going to take you years to be "twice as fast". Lol. Running is hard work. It takes a LONG time to improve. My 5k pace is almost sub 6 min pace. I run my easy runs around 9 min pace. It does work. You can't run hard every day
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Be very careful about comparing actual heart rates. I am somewhere in the 8-9min/km mark at at hr of 150. I know others that struggle to get their hr above 150 during intervals.

I am a strong beleiver in low hr trainig, but it needs to be low for you, not someone else. Unfortunately Strava and Garmin show HR data in beats per minute, rather than a percentage of heart rat we reserve, which is a more even comparison field, if everyone has adjusted foe their resting and max HR.
    My max HR as far as I have discovered is 201, a good 15 bpm above the most generous calculator I have found.

All that said, after a good week of sticking to LHR trainig, I've already loweredmy LHR pace by 10sec/km
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Aerobic fitness is developed over years of consistent training. It just takes time. Keep putting in the easy miles and the gains will come.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of joy. Run your easy runs at your easy pace, and don't get hung up on what your friends are able to accomplish. You'll get there too, just give it time and dedication.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Garmin Connect and Strava is the best and worst at the same time. You can't compare yourself to others. It's hard I know.

Just do you. Be patient. Take it easy. Enjoy running for running, there is no rush.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yes! I read Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 and used his recommendations to develop a good base before starting my last marathon training plan. I was a 10 min/mile casual runner for years. I never tried to get faster. After following this plan for less than a year, I ran a 1:43:52 HM (7:56 pace) and a 3:52:37 FM (8:52 pace).

To be fair, I was already getting faster by virtue of running more after doing my first marathon in 2013, but it wasn't until I started monitoring my HR and running in the recommended zones that I really noticed a difference.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've never tried HR training because I suspect my easy runs would be like 12-min miles or slower on it, and I'm way too self-conscious to run that slow in public. (Not saying that's a good reason, but it's the truth.)

I will say that I did a streak (at least a mile every day) for a couple months last year at the start of my marathon training season, and got a lot faster on short distances while I was doing that. I think a lot of benefit comes just from volume, and keeping your HR low helps with that.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I guess some of the comparison has been to myself too. I started running in 2013 and I thought I was slow then, at 12min/mile, but eventually with just adding miles (and not thinking or planning or trying), I was more like 10min/mile, but I was pushing and either couldn't get more miles b/c of recovery, or (more often) was pushing too many miles without enough recovery. So, ffwd to January this year when I started heart rate training (after a 3mo break to heal achilles/calves), using the Maffetone calculation (180-age=138 target hr) and suddenly it's like 16min/mile!!! I seriously walk faster than that. hahaha!

Anyway, I'm very positive about it because (1) it's already working! I'm at about 14min/mile (down from 16) after two months (mainly because less walking because of faster hr recovery) (2) I enjoy it (3) burning fat, hello! (4) not feeling awful for pushing out 8 horrific miles, pushing my hr into the stratosphere (5) not needing to fuel AT ALL (6) better recovery, easier running gets me more miles, which seems to be where the magic happens. About the only time I'm not so positive about it is when I'm scanning the Garmin activity log and my "running" can only be compared to other people's dog-walking. hahaha!! But it's so freaking easy to run like this, I just hope that some day I'll be running this easy at something more like 9min/mile. That'd be heavenly!

@LPorter229, thank you so much for your story!!! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!! I've committed myself to 3mos of all aerobic running, but plan to go to 80/20 after that. Would be THRILLED with a result like yours!!! Congrats!

Any more personal stories are very welcome!
    Thanks!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You are welcome! I am happy to share my story with anyone who will listen. Aside from being proud of my accomplishments (typical runner, I know), I love to promote this method of training to anyone who is skeptical, like I was. Yes, it's difficult on the ego to slow down at first, but once you get used to it and begin to see results, you get it. Everything you stated above is spot on. Best of luck to you. Would love to hear how it's working for you.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »
    I've never tried HR training because I suspect my easy runs would be like 12-min miles or slower on it, and I'm way too self-conscious to run that slow in public. (Not saying that's a good reason, but it's the truth.)

I will say that I did a streak (at least a mile every day) for a couple months last year at the start of my marathon training season, and got a lot faster on short distances while I was doing that. I think a lot of benefit comes just from volume, and keeping your HR low helps with that.

You'd be surprised. It really does closely follow conversational pace. This cycle ice been doing easy runs with a friend, chatting the whole time. I thought maybe we were going to fast looking at the numbers but I was feeling awesome. I put my strap on a couple times and found that my easy pace is now about a minute faster than were it was last year. So you might think your easy will be really slow but do the test!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »

Was reading an article the other day that said Meb's easy runs put his heartrate around 118 average. My easy runs are around 128-135, but I suppose he's a bit older and his max HR is different than mine, but you can kinda see where it's going.
  • sgonzalezblanco
    sgonzalezblanco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I guess some of the comparison has been to myself too. I started running in 2013 and I thought I was slow then, at 12min/mile, but eventually with just adding miles (and not thinking or planning or trying), I was more like 10min/mile, but I was pushing and either couldn't get more miles b/c of recovery, or (more often) was pushing too many miles without enough recovery. So, ffwd to January this year when I started heart rate training (after a 3mo break to heal achilles/calves), using the Maffetone calculation (180-age=138 target hr) and suddenly it's like 16min/mile!!! I seriously walk faster than that. hahaha!

Anyway, I'm very positive about it because (1) it's already working! I'm at about 14min/mile (down from 16) after two months (mainly because less walking because of faster hr recovery) (2) I enjoy it (3) burning fat, hello! (4) not feeling awful for pushing out 8 horrific miles, pushing my hr into the stratosphere (5) not needing to fuel AT ALL (6) better recovery, easier running gets me more miles, which seems to be where the magic happens. About the only time I'm not so positive about it is when I'm scanning the Garmin activity log and my "running" can only be compared to other people's dog-walking. hahaha!! But it's so freaking easy to run like this, I just hope that some day I'll be running this easy at something more like 9min/mile. That'd be heavenly!

I can totally relate to what you're saying here! When I calculated my target heart rate, it also put me at a pace that I could walk at. Since then I've been able to increase my pace by a minute. I, too, have noticed how much longer I'm able to run at a slower pace, it's incredible. I have heard that using the standard calculators are sometimes inaccurate and I know in my case, my max heart rate has gotten over 220. I would really like to do one of those tests where they tell you what all of your heart rate zones are. So glad to hear about your progress so far, though! Keep it up!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

I can totally relate to what you're saying here! When I calculated my target heart rate, it also put me at a pace that I could walk at. Since then I've been able to increase my pace by a minute. I, too, have noticed how much longer I'm able to run at a slower pace, it's incredible. I have heard that using the standard calculators are sometimes inaccurate and I know in my case, my max heart rate has gotten over 220. I would really like to do one of those tests where they tell you what all of your heart rate zones are. So glad to hear about your progress so far, though! Keep it up!

I was having some difficulty for awhile and used some different calculators with RHR and HRmax, getting HR reserve etc, and got some different ranges that I felt good about and tried them out for ease and listened to my body to see what my energy level did (running fasted) and could confirm some higher numbers and let myself creep up on some runs and it gave me an emotional boost, but soon after that my HR started cooperating much more and so I try to keep to the lower 180-age number now, but know that I can push a little higher at the end of the run etc. I actually emailed a sport lab in our neighborhood about those tests but they never got back to me (probably they saw the email in English and just ignored it, I live in Greece). Just as well, I think I've got the hang of it now. ;-)

Ps, max over 220? I didn't know that was possible (but I don't actually know much about all this stuff, haha)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    This is a good read for me. I'm working on HR training now (finally, two years into running).

What did everyone do to figure out their max HR? All the age formulas are wrong for me (I know from experience my HR goes higher than any calculated). I want to do a run test, but am never sure what exactly is the best way. Some sort of hill/sprint run? Or, 30 minutes at a 5k race pace?
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Matt Fitzgerald has one in a couple of his books. I can type it out later tonight!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    30 minutes at a 5k race pace?

Not this one, since your profile says you run 5k faster than 30 mins! I think there is a test where you get someone to yell at you while you sprint uphill 5 or so times. I've never bothered doing it because there always seem to be better things to do...
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give myself a max HR test in a few weeks when I have access to a treadmill.
    Process of warmup at easy (probably low HR) pace for about 1.5-2miles, then start cranking speed/incline up every few minutes until I bail or get shot off the back of the treadmill.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    This is a good read for me. I'm working on HR training now (finally, two years into running).

What did everyone do to figure out their max HR? All the age formulas are wrong for me (I know from experience my HR goes higher than any calculated). I want to do a run test, but am never sure what exactly is the best way. Some sort of hill/sprint run? Or, 30 minutes at a 5k race pace?

Surprisingly, I found my maxHR auto-filled in Garmin Connect. At least I think it was auto filled, because I don't remember doing it. I just assumed that any time my HR exceeded and sustained above the standard calculation, it bumped it up. Idk, though! It was 7 beats higher than the basic 220-age calculation. So, I'm 42, and should estimate 178 and it said 185. I didn't go back through my activities to see that I'd gotten that high, but I don't doubt it. Maybe I'll check. (Sure beats the sprint test, which I wouldn't do right now anyway.)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    ^^ That makes sense. I am nearly fifty and it says 179, measured with Polar.
    Stef.
  • sgonzalezblanco
    sgonzalezblanco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ps, max over 220? I didn't know that was possible (but I don't actually know much about all this stuff, haha)

I just checked on Garmin Connect and it says my max heart rate from my runs has been 185, but I swear on my watch I've seen it get over 220. Looks like I don't know that much either! haha