Resistance bands?

Options
Lisha_R
Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
I know strength training is a big part of keeping muscle/building muscle during weight loss. Most of my activity so far has been cardio (elliptical). I am not able to get to the gym as often as I would like. Mine and my kids schedule is full. I am thinking of buying resistance bands as a bridge when I can't get access to weights. Does anyone else use bands? Do you think they will be benificial for weight training? I am trying to figure out a way to do this with the time constraints. Child care is not always available when I have time.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Any resistance training is beneficial, if it feels hard to the muscles.

Some of those tubes with handles that go stronger may be better options.
  • Lisha_R
    Options
    Thank you. I will get the ones with handles.
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are still considering resistance bands or not Lisha_R but it's all I use. I have done some amazing things building my legs and arms with them. I used to lift free weights all the time and quite possibly enjoy this more. When I squat, I use 2 bands now to increase the pressure (purple/green; purple/yellow). You can do nearly everything you need to with them. Not only get the long bands (with handles) get O rings and figure 8 bands as well.
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the majority of my exercising at home because I will be moving across country soon and don't want to spend a ton on gym fees for now. I do have the bands but don't use them for everything. Nia Shanks also has a lot of good bodyweight exercises on her site: http://www.niashanks.com/. My main frustration working out at home is trying to simulate lat-pulldowns. Using bands for that just isn't the same.
  • Lisha_R
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion and links. I did get the bands. I did a 30min YouTube workout and felt it. Sweaty and sore but feel great. Now I need to find a variety to make sure I get the most out of these.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Which YouTube workout did you use? I didn't know they had any for resistance bands, and I have a bunch of resistance bands. I'd like to see that one.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Be very careful of sweaty and bands going together. Keep those hands dry. Not talcum lifting powder dry, but dry. Those plastics handles on some of the bands don't appear to mix well with moisture, bad design flaw.
  • Lisha_R
    Options
    I watched ones by gymra. Still looking for different ones to make it more interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion. The handles I have fabric covered foam.