Has anyone had experience with Active Release Technique (ART)?

Options
Caged_Heat
Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
I have a shoulder impingement issue and have had two shots in the past 9 months. The ortho surgeon (not surprisingly) said next step was surgery. I've seen ART demonstrated on YouTube and someone at the gym has been getting shoulder treatment for the past couple of weeks with good results. I've made an appointment with the same place he goes but would be interested in your experience (good or bad) with this.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I use it on my elbow (bad tendonitis - Golfer's Elbow) but not on shoulders. It's a lifesaver for me, the only thing that gives me real relief (albeit somewhat temporary).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I know I was shocked after 2 treatments hip issue was gone. My chiro does it, and he uses it prior to any attempts to restore normal movement.
    Even achilles issue improved a tad, but it was more serious than just muscle not sliding as it should. Calves really were tight, and with ankle mobility issues they just couldn't get stretched enough, so had to turn to constant stretching of them to compensate.

Middle back it worked too under should blade, had an impact injury, and once that was gone, he got the looseness back.

probably depends on why you are getting impingement.
    If related to muscles and their attachments and tightness and imbalance, probably good chance.
    If just ligaments with no muscles are tight or inflamed areas, I'd expect not so great, but at least calm the surrounding muscles down so they aren't causing additional issues.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My physio does it, it's great. Lie heybales says this is assuming yours is a muscular problem.
    If your impingement is down to muscle imbalance (i.e tight chest, weak back) then it'll probably help. If it's because of something like bone spurs or just the biology of your shoulder then it might not help.
    Good thing about ART though is if it's going to work, it'll work pretty much immediately.
  • Caged_Heat
    Options
    Thank you for your input!

OHPs and Side Raises are painful. RC exercises help some. Xrays (left shoulder) indicate a slight downward turn in the acromion but no bone spurs - if I am translating the ortho's technical explanation correctly. Muscles do seem tight. If I hold my arm out and keep my forearm parallel with the floor and then raise it backwards to try to get it perpendicular, much tightness and some pain. Both arms actually, but primarily in the left.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I have had ART and similar message therapy work done on a number of occasions. Purpose was to ease pain from hamstring and calf injuries incurred while running. I've also had it done as a means of stretching and relaxing my leg muscles prior to doing a race. Has worked very well for me and for several of my late 50's age tri club friends.
  • Caged_Heat
    Options
    This just an update on my experience with ART. I've had 3 one a week sessions now and it is indeed helping. I've ended up with tendonitis in both shoulders. I get the ART session and a brief soft tissue massage. I've also had an ibuprofen injection in each shoulder which has immediately reduced the inflammation. As soon as he finished, I raised my arm without pain from the usual 45 degrees to 90. And have continued to have much less pain doing these kind of movements.
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not only does my Chiro do active release, he does the graston method on my shoulder and hamstrings. It is painful but immediate relief. It breaks up scar tissue in the muscles from the build-tear cycle. My shoulder only needed two sessions then slow strengthening with certain exercises. I couldn't get past a 45 degree angle at first either. Now I box, lift and do shoulder exercises with no pain.