New to Fitbit. Any tips before setup.

Options
rushfive
rushfive Posts: 603 Member
Hi All,
I just got my FitBit charge HR, after waiting a month. Before I start on fitbit.com does anybody have advice on what to do and not to do. I would hate to get started and mess it up.
Thanks. CR

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Here's some answers to common questions that I can think off off the top of my head:
    • Don't worry about the numbers on the first partial day. They won't be right.
    • Log all your food in MFP. It will transfer over to FitBit.
    • Log all your exercise in FitBit. Ignore what MFP says about logging it in MFP with a start time and duration. This is unnecessary. Things like weight lifting, or yoga, that your FitBit can't track well, could be logged in MFP but many of us find it works better better to just stick to "Food in MFP, exercise in FitBit".
    • The stairs climbed number on your FitBit may be very inaccurate. Don't worry about it, it doesn't affect calorie calculations.
    • The calories your FitBit displays includes Basal Metabolic Rate, so there will be calories burned first thing in the morning before you've even taken a step.
    • The FitBit calorie adjustment that you'll see in MFP includes all your activity, not just exercise and is the difference between what FitBit says you've burned and what MFP expects you to have burned.
    • Trust your FitBit. If you log your food accurately (weigh it all using a good digital scale), you can eat back the calories FitBit gives you and still lose weight at the rate you have set in MFP.
  • bostonsales
    bostonsales Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is very helpful - was getting confused on how the exercise worked for MFP and Fitbit. So use Fitbit when running and do not post any exercise in MFP? Correct?
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    This is very helpful - was getting confused on how the exercise worked for MFP and Fitbit. So use Fitbit when running and do not post any exercise in MFP? Correct?

Correct. If you want to be able to take a closer look at the data collected when you're running, or just want a record of when you exercise, then press and hold the button on the FitBit until it vibrates before you start your run and again at the end. That will create a workout record in FitBit, which you can look at there. But, that isn't actually necessary. The calories and steps will transfer over to MFP either way.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    thanks all. so I log food in mfp and exercise in fitbit.
  • auntyfreddy
    Options
    I too log food in mfp and exercise in fitbit.

Every now and then I do a check with how many cals burned vs how many consumed, compare that to how much I've lost (or not). Taking the standard of deficit of 3500cals per 1lb weight loss I find it's all pretty accurate.