New Here. Hi From Texas!

Options
CEK0220
CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
Hi everyone. So glad to find a group on MFP that I feel comfortable enough to join.
My story:
I have been "chubby" most of my life. Well, except that short period of when I was a VERY busy teen and was rarely at home. After a failed marriage, being a single mom for 20+ years on a pretty small income, having a child with mild Aspergers, and caring for everyone but myself, I found myself at 250 pounds. I am only 4' 11". That is a LOT of weight for a small person. My daughter is now 24, graduated from college, and doing well. It hit me that in one short year, I will be turning 50 years old. With all my comorbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol) I had to do something quick, or I may not live to see 60. So this is my gift to myself. Looking forward to a smaller, healthier, and happier me.
What is next:
I will be having my surgery on March 9th. I am currently in the middle of my 2 week pre-op diet to help shrink my liver. Basically it is 2 protein shakes, and one small meal a day. Low carb (30 grams/day), low fat (10 grams/day), high protein (target 70 grams/day), and 900 calories. It's harder than I thought it'd be. Carbs and fat add up so quickly! But I am determined to do my level best to be as close to those numbers as I can be. (any pointers, tips, menu ideas are welcome!)
Thank you for reading and I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend so far.
Feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! There is also I group for VSG as well if you are interested. Not sure which surgery you have having. It is a great group of peeps on these boards. Sending you a friend request.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I had a similar epiphany, at 54, realized the quality and length of the rest of my life at risk...had RNYGB 4 months ago and it's the best decision I've made in decades. Most of my co-morbitities have improved if not resolved and I feel great. I found the pre-op diet challenging as well, but it was good practice for post op - while I had to learn how and how much to eat, I wasn't hungry so it was just a matter of sticking to the doctors instructions. I know the surgery is helping me make the necessary lifestyle changes. Don't hesitate to lean on this group. Everyone's experience is unique, but someone will have had experience with whatever your journey brings your way.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Im 53 and just had my VGS surgery Feb 16th! The PreOp diet can be difficult but you can do it! My Doc suggested using the Atkins frozen meals for dinner with some extra veggies on the side. It really helped keep my numbers where they needed to be. I really needed the portion control! Good luck on your journey. It is so worth it!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Good for you for putting your health as your priority and taking the actions you need to make it happen. That is the most important first step. The pre-op diet is just the first difficult step. The diet right after surgery isn't the most fun either. But, all of it helps to teach us a new way of eating and starting us off positively. You can do this and you will be so glad you had the surgery. Your new life is just beginning!!!
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The pre and immediate post op diets are usually pretty strict. Once you can expand a little, I recommend investing in a cookbook designed for WLS patients. There are a couple out there. I got one called "Eating well after WLS". It helped with tasty recipes that were on target for WLS nutrient needs and had serving instructions for different types of WLS at the various different post-op stages.
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. I do appreciate it so much.
    I failed to mention that I will be having gastric bypass surgery in my "story" above. With my comorbidities, amount of weight needed to lose, and hiatal hernia, it seemed the best option for me.
    Whew the pre-op is challenging me something fierce! I still have 300 calories to go but have already gone over my 30 grams of carb, and 10 grams of fat. I have met my protein for the day though! ....so YAY!
    That cookbook is definitely something I will be ordering. Thanks for the heads up on that!
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Just had my RNY on 2/19. Did the same kind of pre op diet you are doing. It was tough, but I'm glad I stuck to it. I had a very easy surgery with no complications. You can do it! Congratulations on taking this very brave and exciting step!
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Thank you LunaGuido. I am looking forward to getting the surgery done and beginning my journey.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My pre op diet was liquids for breakfast and lunch then for supper I was allowed a lean cuisine type meal. These aren't the best for long term but met the portion control that was necessary. It is tough but so worth it! Try to go as low carb as possible. You will be proud you did and will feel better for it.
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input Karlottap. I hadn't considered the Lean Cuisine dinners. May have to run to the store tomorrow. I am doing a shake in the morning and a shake at night. My blood sugar does a lot better when I have a light meal (protein shake) at night. So the dinners would be my lunch. I think that would work well!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Had the gastric sleeve at age 55. I finally realized that my excess weight was interfeering with my life and it had to go. Best decision I ever made! Congratulations on your decision and best of luck with everything.
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi CEK, good to meet you! My name is Kelly and I am 6 weeks post op, gastric bypass. I didn't have too much trouble with the pre-op liquid diet, but post op has been very challenging. I find it hard to eat and drink enough. My weight loss has been stalled for the past 2-3 weeks, and my surgeon thinks it's because I'm not getting in enough calories or fluids. So my new focus has been on trying to meet these goals, with everything else going to the back burner. Lord knows we have been back there for years, it's our time now. I am doing better this week with my caloric intake, but my water still needs improvement. Everyday it does seem to get easier, so just stay positive and keep reaching for your goal. Best of luck with your surgery on Monday. This is a great group and you will be in our thoughts and prayers!
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Thank you pawoohull and Kelly. I am sure that this will not be a walk in the park, but seeing how so many have been before me and done well, I know I can, too.

Kelly I sent you a PM before I had a chance to read this. I am sorry you're having a tough time right now, but it seems you're making progress. I hear a stall at 2-3 weeks is super common, too. Keep up the good work and you'll be where you need to be.

Thank you all for the good luck and well wishes. Monday is coming quickly. I am SO READY!!
  • hochhalc
    hochhalc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Adding my welcome as well. I am in Texas as well.:) Take heart, the pre-op diet is one of the hardest parts.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am a shorty too! Even shorter than you!! lol 4'10 Losing 50 pounds makes people ask "Are you getting shorter??" :|
    I also had RNY, 8 months ago this saturday.
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Thank you hochhalc, and Jena it's always nice to find another shorty!
    I'm so glad I joined this group!
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    like everyone else, I reached age 58 and realized that the years of yo-yo dieting weren't helping anything and if I wanted to be around to play with all the grandkids I had to do something. having sleeve surgery on April 1st. any of you that want to add me as a friend, it'll be greatly appreciated
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, I'm from San Antonio
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    @CEK0220 - How are things going? You are nearly one month post-surgery.
    @badhair56 - How did surgery go last week?
    @Kchaki - Did you make it past the 3 week stall hump?

Reading these threads is so helpful for us @ the pre-op stage. I hope you're all doing well and are happy with your WLS decision. I have a bit of fear about having the surgery and regretting it after.
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Hey Renae! How nice that you are asking everyone how things are going. I am now in the pureed stage and struggling with getting all my water & protein in. Apparently it is something a lot of people struggle with initially. Can't believe it's been almost a month now.
    How are you doing? Have you gotten your surgery date yet?