Getting sick on water

Options
Hi everyone! Had my surgery Feb 8th, I am trying so hard to get my fluids but I get nauseous with liquids. I have tried many options but the only liquid I don't get nauseated on is my protein shakes, and I hate them, lol. Is this normal? I have a Dr appointment tomorrow but I wanted to hear from all of you. I was thinking it is because it has vitamins in it. I might try gaterade but that has tons of sugar/carbs. I force water down but I would really like to be able to sip and not feel so sick. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I used sf popsicles and ice chips to help with fluids. I also found I could tolerate Crystal Light lemonade (but all others were too sweet tasting). Hope that helps!
  • jesswagspgh
    jesswagspgh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did iced tea. Unsweetened or honest tea.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Inspire or Protein2o helped me get fluids and protein in the beginning. Hope you start to get better quick but glad you see the doctor tomorrow. Let us know what they say and how you are doing.
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies.....i have been eating sf popsicles but for 1,5 oz...i will never get enough fluids haha
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Maybe the doctor can give you some anti-nausea meds to help with that. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you aren't taking an ant-acid ask your Dr for one. Also ask about taking something for your gall bladder.

Randy RN
  • Hildabean
    Hildabean Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I drink plain water, crystal light, PowerAde zero, and unfortunately I still have to do protein shakes. I also do popsicles and my new love is Italian ice. I cant drink but a sip or two at a time when drinking with out the nausea. I was told to keep sipping...it is very tough! I am having a difficult time drinking also.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 months out and I STILL get nauseous when I drink water! I drink crystal light, vitamin water, or lemon water.
    My goal this week is to drink 3 cups of plain water per day (on top of the other for a total of 8) It's been a struggle for sure!

One thing to try is, drink your water at different temperatures. I like mine luke warm, or ice cold. Nothing in between!
    Also try adding some lemon to it. I like true lemon packets.