Weight Gain and Anti-Depressants: Advice?

Options
Bebeharden
Bebeharden Posts: 76 Member
Hi Everyone,

I've encountered some series weight since starting anti-depressants more than 10 years ago and most recently after changing medications (5 times in fact) over the past year, I've noticed about 40 lbs. of weight gain. This has made things worse, mental health wise, as well as physically. My most recent medication change has even caused a 5 lb weight gain in less than 2 weeks! I was wondering if anyone has any advice/ tips on how to successfully lose weight while taking anti-depressants or resources? I'm up for nearly anything. Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm posting this in a few different forums, so apologies if you're seeing this more than once :)

Replies

• uglyfry
    uglyfry Posts: 3
    Options
    I read somewhere that the phenomenon of people gaining weight while on AD could just be due to regaining a normal appetite - assuming that when depressed you undereat - but that's just one theory.
    Maybe your metabolism is sluggish from the medication, you might need to amp up your exercises and lower calorie intake if you haven't done so already.
    I'm terrified of gaining weight on AD - just started zoloft, and my doctor was saying that different AD have different side effects and zoloft is less likely to make a person gain weight. But remember, mental health is more important than a few extra pounds, at least on the medication, you can summon up the motivation to do things.