Fat Fast

Options
RATSMITH69
RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
Hello All,

Just want to say Thank you to all of you that post and respond. I've only been doing lchf for about 3 weeks now and I've learned alot thru these discussions. The first week was a little rough and logging is an issue for me but it's getting easier and I'm learning what works for me and how to better use MFP.

So, today I'm starting a fat fast - - Dr supervised and recommended - - for at least three days but hopefully 5 days. Stocked up on KerryGold and coconut oil, macadamia nuts, and cream cheese.

Weight and measurements taken just this morning.

I was hoping to get so feedback/tips on what has worked for you.....

Wish me luck!!!

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a "Fat Fast"?
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in your experience and what the result is! It 's really good that you are medically supervised if any problems come up.

I am new to this also and just getting the hang of things. Good luck :)
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think Atkins recommended 3 days. After that return to your <20 or whatever . Maybe next month, try it again. You are basically injesting all fat.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    looking forward to hearing about your results! Just remember, it's only a few days. NO matter how bad you feel in any moment, those moments are going to pass and get you closer to conclusion.
  • RATSMITH69
    Options
    What exactly is a "Fat Fast"?

My Doc has me doing 1000 calories @ 90% or higher fat. He says 3 days is good, 5 would be great. Very light exercise and only with support.
  • RATSMITH69
    Options
    my current #s

age 45
    height 5 ft 4 in
    weight 203
    BMI 52
    % body fat 55

waist 45.5 in
    hips 44 in
    bust 45.5 in

all done in the Dr's office this a.m.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Get Dana Carpender ' Fat Fast book. Lots of yummy recipes thst fit what you're doing. Mmmm...herby mushrooms.
  • KA___
    KA___ Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started a fat fast yesterday after being in a stall for 5weeks. I have been in ketosis most of the time for 13months
    I'm using Dana Carpender's book. Aiming for 4days but may do a 5th. Around 1200kcals, 80+% of calories from fat.

How's it going?
  • jennmac415
    jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Can you explain the purpose of a "fat fast"? Not familiar with this yet.
  • jennmac415
    jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    And exactly how one does a fat fast, I guess also.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    RATSMITH69 wrote: »
    my current #s

age 45
    height 5 ft 4 in
    weight 203
    BMI 52
    % body fat 55

waist 45.5 in
    hips 44 in
    bust 45.5 in

I wish you all the very best RATSMITH69. I'm a lot older than you (58) but our measurements are pretty similar - I'm bigger around the hips but smaller around the waist. We all carry it differently. But I hope you gets lots of helpful answers as well as the ones given already, and look forward to seeing how you go. Please do keep posting!

• KA___
    KA___ Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    jennmac415 wrote: »
    Can you explain the purpose of a "fat fast"? Not familiar with this yet.

From what I've read, it is to break a stall or to get into ketosis quicker.
    There are different versions of fat fasts, but all seem to recommend it be done 3-5days although I have heard up to 10days! between 1000-1200 kcal a day, and calories from fat to be 80-90+%. And drink plenty of water.It is a short term tool not a way of eating.
    Hope that helps. I'm sure some of the more experienced member will explain in more detail

• RATSMITH69
    Options
    Howdy!

Day one went pretty well. Yesterday was 1005 calories at 90% fat!!

I'm not a coffee drinker so I'm using chicken broth (homemade) with KerryGold and Coconut Oil three times a day, cream cheese wrapped in thin sliced sharp cheddar, and macadamia nuts.

Day two: I feel fine so far but I sure wasn't looking forward to eating a block of cream cheese this morning...... I'll have to look into the Carpenter book to see if I can get some new ideas as everything I've found so far has artificial sweeteners that I can't process.

Jennmac415 - I'm doing the fat fast due to some medical issues. My doc is a firm believer in trying everything "natural" before resorting to drugs/chemicals. I eased into lchf for a few weeks before I started this so my symptoms are not as bad as some I've read about. I hope one of the more seasoned members will explain the details to you.

Thanks again everyone for the support!
  • RATSMITH69
    Options
    GrannyMayOz - I agree we all carry it differently. I am a true apple - I tell people I am a perfect shape - ROUND!!! Pretty much the same size from shoulders to hips then little twiggy legs.

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff.... Please keep reporting in here...
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    GrannyMayOz - I agree we all carry it differently. I am a true apple - I tell people I am a perfect shape - ROUND!!! Pretty much the same size from shoulders to hips then little twiggy legs.
    Oh gosh I wish I had little twiggy legs. I have the tree trunks, not the twigs LOL

Awesome to hear that your first day went well. I'm barracking for your second day to be the same!

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    my current #s

age 45
    height 5 ft 4 in
    weight 203
    BMI 52
    % body fat 55

waist 45.5 in
    hips 44 in
    bust 45.5 in

Your stats are very similar to mine. I am 41 but otherwise very similar. Am hoping to break through the 200lb barrier really soon too! Let us know what fat fasting is like, am thinking of doing the same.... one day.

• RATSMITH69
    Options
    ok, day two, I went over my calories but was still 92% fat so I guess it's all good. Getting a little bored with it but I'm not hungry, grouch, carb feverish, or weak kneed.

My Doc says not to weigh or measure until Friday so the only thing I am tracking is blood sugar and this mornings reading was 79???!!!?? It's usually up around 130ish. This is my third day without diabetic drugs and third day on this fast...
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    ok, day two, I went over my calories but was still 92% fat so I guess it's all good. Getting a little bored with it but I'm not hungry, grouch, carb feverish, or weak kneed.

My Doc says not to weigh or measure until Friday so the only thing I am tracking is blood sugar and this mornings reading was 79???!!!?? It's usually up around 130ish. This is my third day without diabetic drugs and third day on this fast...

Glad it is going well for you!