Keto-Adapted

Options
karirenae
karirenae Posts: 106 Member
How long do I need to be under 20g daily to become keto-adapted? Also how will I know? I had been under 20g for a straight week, then I cheated :# then every week after I had a cheat day. I've decided to try to become "adapted" with NO CHEATING but I'm not sure how to know.... I've been pretty sluggish this week. So I'm hoping I'll be happier with more energy. This LC stuff is kicking my *kitten* :\

Replies

• Trae41
    Trae41 Posts: 15
    Options
    Tell me about it! I too am not sure about the "adapted" state. If you research, its all very seemingly complex achieving Keto-adaption... depending on your body, it could take weeks according to some sources. Apparently, you'll know when you feel better in yourself, like sleeping better, having more energy, your body is feeling better, aches and pains go away.

I've accepted that its going to take me a long long time. I am prepared in my mind to stick to 20g carb/day until I reach my ultimate goal (probably 2 years or so). Carbs are why I am at 50% body fat in the first place.

I too was told that keto is not a "magic" "diet" that makes you lose weight any faster than others... this has really helped me realise its a lifestyle, for the long term. Not just a fad, fast, fake loss. More a health lifestyle which fat loss is a by-product. IMO cheats'l just knock the whole process back to square one and your body'll have to start adapting all over again. (unless your cheats are still within your deficit levels/macros etc?).

Hopefully someone on here with more solid knowledge can help us both out with your questions.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Full adaptation can take around six weeks without a cheat. Some people report it taking even longer. How will you know? There's really no test. Most people report fewer ketones in urine (as your body isn't creating more than necessary) and a return to pre-keto exercise ability.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I believe you need to commit fully to this diet. Cheating can't be your lifestyle. That is how we got where we are. Cheated ourselves for one reason or another. Everyone has a story.

I am holding on because of this site; it's belief in this approach to eating, the results posted by so many and even though I bringing up the rear, I am willing to commit fully , and for longer . One day at a time.
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Took me about 6 weeks no cheats to become adapted. Energy is through the roof now and I feel fantastic.
  • winningandlosing43
    Options
    its about 20 caurbs to enter ketosis and it takes 3~6 weeks. They have urine strips at the pharmacy that measure your ketone level but its not as accurate as a blood ketone meter (which I have). The meter itself isnt too expensive but the strips can be very pricy and everything has to be ordered on amazon since the precision xtra is only sold online. It measures both glucose and ketones and has different strips for each. I can tell you from personal experience it takes a long time to get into ketosis and one cheat can screw it up for another few weeks. The blood doesnt lie. You cajt have a cheat day if you want to be in ketosis.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008UZVLM8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1425397000&sr=8-1&keywords=precision+xtra+ketone+meter&dpPl=1&dpID=31A+JmC4wHL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    its about 20 caurbs to enter ketosis and it takes 3~6 weeks. They have urine strips at the pharmacy that measure your ketone level but its not as accurate as a blood ketone meter (which I have). The meter itself isnt too expensive but the strips can be very pricy and everything has to be ordered on amazon since the precision xtra is only sold online. It measures both glucose and ketones and has different strips for each. I can tell you from personal experience it takes a long time to get into ketosis and one cheat can screw it up for another few weeks. The blood doesnt lie. You cajt have a cheat day if you want to be in ketosis.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008UZVLM8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1425397000&sr=8-1&keywords=precision+xtra+ketone+meter&dpPl=1&dpID=31A+JmC4wHL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

The strips are $3.00 each... I call that a lot more than a bit pricey... Ouch
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thank you, OP for asking this! I've been wondering the same, as my exercise energy is low. Looks like if we press on, six weeks could be the threshold.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    karirenae wrote: »
    How long do I need to be under 20g daily to become keto-adapted? Also how will I know? I had been under 20g for a straight week, then I cheated :# then every week after I had a cheat day. I've decided to try to become "adapted" with NO CHEATING but I'm not sure how to know.... I've been pretty sluggish this week. So I'm hoping I'll be happier with more energy. This LC stuff is kicking my *kitten* :\

How long? 2-6 weeks. The lower carb you go, the quicker you get adapted. This is not a casual diet where you go on & off or get sloppy with carbs. That may work fine for losing weight, but not for Keto Adaptation. Adaption is scientific, you can't "cheat" and hope your body "forgives" you (LOL!) Adaptation occurs when your body is consistently in ketosis. It adjusts your hormones to "adapt" you to your new way of eating.

If you are sluggish, you need to google "Keto Flu". Your symptoms suggest you have the flu. The flu happens when you stay in ketosis (a good thing) and now your liver is dumping sodium, potassium & magnesium ~ otherwise know as your electrolytes. This is easily remedied (see website about Keto flu).

I use the 3rd method of the (2) reliable ways to measure ketones, with a breath analyzer (Ketonix). The pee on strips suck. The great thing about the Ketonix is that after you purchase it, there is nno additional purchases (like blood testing).

If you don't have money to burn and can't afford testing devices, you will keto adapt if you truly stay withing the less than 20 carbs and not too much protein, and in a 2-6 week time frame, you will be adapted. Everyone that is adapted goes through small changes (all different).

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Full adaptation can take around six weeks without a cheat. Some people report it taking even longer. How will you know? There's really no test. Most people report fewer ketones in urine (as your body isn't creating more than necessary) and a return to pre-keto exercise ability.

I knew for sure I was adapted when I could exercise again regularly. I can be a cardio queen if I want to be. By this I mean my endurance is very high, even if I don't necessarily train for it. While I was adapting, I was struggling to hit 20 minutes sometimes when 45 is a breeze for me. The process probably took about 3 weeks before I felt like I wanted to die while working out went away and another 3 before I felt like I was completely normal.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for well over a month now, and the ketostix are still burning dark purple. My understanding is that once you become fully adapted, ketones no longer show up consistently in your urine, so you have to blood monitor after that. Even though I'm in week six, my ketostix are still max dark, so I must not be 'adapted' yet - and I haven't slipped up once.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ldmoor wrote: »
    I've been keto for well over a month now, and the ketostix are still burning dark purple. My understanding is that once you become fully adapted, ketones no longer show up consistently in your urine, so you have to blood monitor after that. Even though I'm in week six, my ketostix are still max dark, so I must not be 'adapted' yet - and I haven't slipped up once.

@ldmoor All that really means is that your body is still making more ketones than it is using. What shows up in your urine is what the body dumps as waste.