March Mud Season Madness 2015

Options
robinrows
robinrows Posts: 57 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
The challenge is to row or ski for 25 days or more in March. You can choose from two levels of participation:
• The Basic Challenge: 5000 meters each day for at least 25 days
• The Advanced Challenge: 10,000 meters each day for at least 25 days

Kids and adaptive athletes can also choose 2500 meters a day for at least 25 days.

See the Concept II website for more info.

After surprising myself by rowing 500km during the virtual team challenge, and having done the 10k challenge last year, I am aiming for 25 half marathons. Second aim is to do all in under 1hr 28, which is 2:05min/500m pace. Should be possible, but lets see after several days of rowing! The main reason I am doing this is to lose weight and get fitter, but at the same time I thought I'd get some sponsors and raise some money for charity (see my profile if your curious!).

I'm not looking for sponsorship through this group - mainly posting to keep my motivation up.

Feel free to add what your aiming for during Mud Season Madness.

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I will probably travel extensively the month of March so 25 days for me is out. I wish everyone the best for the March mud challenge.
  • robinrows
    Options
    1st one done, slightly harder than usual, annoying cold probably to blame.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    For the spirit of the season, I know I can't do 25 days. but I'll do 25 10Ks.
  • robinrows
    Options
    For the spirit of the season, I know I can't do 25 days. but I'll do 25 10Ks.

Nice :smiley:
  • robinrows
    edited March 2015
    Options
    blisters - why! I did 500K in January, and about 150K in feb, not a single blister. 2nd HM of March, a row of blisters my left hand, just where the fingers meet the hand. Grrrrrr.

not enough to stop me rowing, just enough to add a little pain
  • aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    needing to get back on the wagon so to speak, so i'm contemplating the 5k/day level, but i also just picked up the PiYo program hoping to work on some flexibility and definition and am a little uncertain i can manage both with my ridiculous work schedule (i really want to fully commit to the PiYo 6 days/week for the initial 8 weeks). i will have to try it and see, but the 5k/day will probably be what i scale back if it's too much. i do think at least 3 days a week will be achievable though, so that will be my backup plan.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    my wife bought me some weight lifting gloves that I never used. I tried them on yesterday and they fit nicely where my hands are starting to get rough and blisters are starting to form. Don't know if they will hold for the long haul but I used them just fine this morning .
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    I'm hooked :) Pure madness :) I thought about it. The only reason I can't finish this Madness challenge is because I will be travelling. Where will I be travelling to? Boston. No way I can't find a concept2 rower in Boston :)
  • aam117
    Options
    Where will I be travelling to? Boston. No way I can't find a concept2 rower in Boston :)

ha! yeah, your excuse doesn't hold water there :smiley:
  • robinrows
    Options
    my wife bought me some weight lifting gloves that I never used. I tried them on yesterday and they fit nicely where my hands are starting to get rough and blisters are starting to form. Don't know if they will hold for the long haul but I used them just fine this morning .

I use newgrip rowing gloves, which work well for blisters, but I sometimes get numbness in my left arm after about 10K so usually take them off.
  • robinrows
    Options
    I'm hooked :) Pure madness :) I thought about it. The only reason I can't finish this Madness challenge is because I will be travelling. Where will I be travelling to? Boston. No way I can't find a concept2 rower in Boston :)

Nope definitely none in Boston!

My problem is when travelling I might be able to find a hotel with a concept 2, but usually not in the price range my work will pay for.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Yeah, that's going to be a problem for me too. I was initially booked at the Hyatt Regency at a really good rate and it seems like they have a lot of C2 rowers. The rate has tripled since then. I'll figure out something though even if I have to use some of my per diem for a day membership.
  • aam117
    Options
    i have heard of people getting in touch with local rowing clubs in various cities and making arrangements to use equipment...might be worth a try and potentially less expensive? the rowing community tends to be pretty friendly and you never know when you might be inspired by a fellow rower
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Thanks. I think it will be ok. Concept2 has a nice list on there website. This might be all for nothing because I haven't heard anything about the schedule as yet so I'm just going to keep doing my thing :)
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to for the 5k/day but am also traveling this month for a few. Not sure how it'll all pan out. I'm also closing in on my first "Million Meter Club" and hope to complete that before end of April.
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    YMCAs also often have C2s and have day passes (or free if you already belong to a Y). I'm starting a thread for the World Erg Challenge-- overlaps with March Mudness but it's a team challenge!
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    That's true about the Y's. I shouldn't need more than 10 days.

I'm in for the team challenge as well. All prep for the Marathon challenge later. Ready to sign up.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I joined the MFP Team on the World Erg Challenge. Hopefully my meters will help. To be honest, I don't anticipate huge numbers from me, but will give you what I am able.
  • aam117
    Options
    i just joined the team challenge as well. i've been keeping on track for the 5k/day mud season madness challenge (hopefully i don't miss more days than i think i will), but not expecting to set any records posting meters :smiley:
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing this in 2016? This is an individual challenge: http://log.concept2.com/challenges/mud-season-madness There is also a team challenge starting March 15. Why not do both? :smiley: