Trying to kick this bad habit once and for all

Options
03emily03
03emily03 Posts: 6 Member
I have always had an unhealthy relationship with food and I just feel like I am at my breaking point. I can remember the first time my weight came up was in 1st grade when my parents encouraged our siblings and I to be more active. Every year since then I have repeatedly claimed that I was going to lose the weight whether it was summer vacation from school, starting a new month or calendar year I always have some bench mark that I say "starting that day I am going to get serious" and follow up for a short period of time or not at all. This has been going on for literally 15 years, which makes me really sad considering that I am only 23. I have a big problem with emotional eating whether it's being sad/feeling down or being bored. I need all the support I can get and I'm happy to return support. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. At this point I have tried so many diets or plans that haven't worked I feel so discouraged just thinking "this isn't going to work because it didn't before." Please feel free to add me and give me any advice. Thanks

Replies

• FacetoMoi
    Options
    I've struggled through boredom/emotional eating my whole life. Every now and then I still slip up and kick myself in the butt for it. But we're allowed to make mistakes, and as long as we continue to improve our lives, it's all just a stepping stone!
    When I quit smoking, I was told to occupy my mind for 3-5 minutes and then the craving would be gone since the brain will have switched gears. At first, it didn't really work. The craving wasn't as bad but I still had it. I still get cravings...so what I do when I want one is I occupy my brain. Maybe I put on some silly song and sing and dance to it for those 3-5 minutes. Or I play with my puppy for a few. The same thing applies to food.
    Only I'm going to challenge you as it was done to me. When you go to pick up that food, you MUST drink 12 ounces of cold water before you can eat it. This does two things. The water helps fill your stomach so your body is like "oh no! please no food" while giving your brain time to switch gears. It also hydrates you which is great for detoxifying, weight loss, skin health..just everything! So while you're drinking that water, think about picking up a book to cure that boredom, or going for a walk, or calling a friend you've not spoken to. If you're upset, then come on here and talk it out with one of us, or put on a movie/comedy that always makes you smile. You can also take and just smile. Yeah, it's fake. But just the act of smiling releases dopamine, serotonin, and endorphines which automatically start to raise your mood! So fake it til you make it, right?
  • 03emily03
    03emily03 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is great advice, thanks so much!
  • MegRenee059
    MegRenee059 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Just this week I did a 3 day cleanse/juice fast dealio (it wasn't really fasting, but it wasn't necessarily a specific cleanse... I just know I drank a lot of juice and the last day I could eat cooked vegetables.) Anyway, it forced me to re-evaluate and re-balance my relationship with food. I find it easier now to only eat when I'm actually hungry, not when I'm feeling emotional or stressed, and I don't have as bad of a craving as I did before for sugary or salty food.. I'm still working through that bit, but I got a push in the right direction. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it might be an option to reset your brain...? And I definitely agree with FacetoMoi's advice as well.
  • sueatherbest
    sueatherbest Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All really great advice, add to that to take a hard look at your emotions. Everyone gets bored and not everyone reaches for food to occupy time. Am I procrastinating? Am I choosing to sit around because I'm angry, fearful, anxious about something and I'm letting it get in my way? I tend to over work, run all day and into the night, doing for others (large family, husband who travels), forget to practice self care. I become too hungry, angry, lonely or tired (or all of the above). That's when I have to stop and remind myself that I need time for myself to breathe, think about the moment I'm in and why I feel this way. Hope this helps.