Where do I see my FitBit tracking on the MFP app/website?

Options
I am new so please bare with me. I have linked my Fitbit account to MFP and it looks linked on both ends from what I can see. However, I do not see where the steps are being recorded on my MFP app. All I see is something about IPHONE STEPS being recorded. Where is the info. from my Fitbit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• debmitchell
    debmitchell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also am not sure where my steps are on mfp. I can see I my fitbit is connected to mfp. Where do I see that the link on fitbit website?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    On the phone app, you need to go to Settings and switch it from iPhone steps to Fitbit. I don't have my phone on me at the moment or I'd tell you exactly where to find the setting.

While on the website:
    Your calorie adjustment will be in the exercise diary. Click the little "i" next to it to see the break down for it.
    To see the steps and other information that Fitbit sends to MFP, go to the "Check In" page.
  • jbarr05
    jbarr05 Posts: 2
    Options
    Help Please....I can see my steps (13,039) but I still have + 0 for exercise. Am I doing something wrong?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    jbarr05 wrote: »
    Help Please....I can see my steps (13,039) but I still have + 0 for exercise. Am I doing something wrong?

You aren't burning more according to Fitbit than MFP estimated you'd burn anyway - so you don't get any extra calories.

If you enable negative calorie adjustment, you may just discover that you are actually burning less.

You may have your MFP activity level too high, unless it's only a change of say 50 either direction on non-workout days, in which case right on.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't forget that Fitbit is NOT 100% accurate. Case in point, I tested walking up and down 5 flights of stairs without stopping (I already had 5 flights of stairs for the day), it gave me 1 flight for the 5 I actually did, so instead of 10 I was at 6. Then I did it again but I walked 5 steps forward and back at the top of the stairs on the flat floor, then I had 11 flights, so it credited all 5, but I actually should have been at 15 flights, a flight of stairs should not be ignored if you don't walk on the flat floor at the top or bottom, how many people do that to exercise? If you think you are not getting enough calories from your One, you are probably right, mine is consistently at least 300 under reality.
  • Bigmonty69
    Options
    What's more likely is that the +0 for exercise is due to the problems that MFP is having with their Fitbit api.

Lots of people seem to be having the same problem over the last couple of days.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are also not accurate, I often test it by counting my steps for say 200 steps then check it, and it misses some at least half the time. My next activity tracker won't be a Fitbit.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that Fitbit is NOT 100% accurate. Case in point, I tested walking up and down 5 flights of stairs without stopping (I already had 5 flights of stairs for the day), it gave me 1 flight for the 5 I actually did, so instead of 10 I was at 6. Then I did it again but I walked 5 steps forward and back at the top of the stairs on the flat floor, then I had 11 flights, so it credited all 5, but I actually should have been at 15 flights, a flight of stairs should not be ignored if you don't walk on the flat floor at the top or bottom, how many people do that to exercise? If you think you are not getting enough calories from your One, you are probably right, mine is consistently at least 300 under reality.

The stair flight counting functionality of the FitBit is not good. It will frequently miss an actual flight of stairs that I climb, but then give me 10 when I haven't been anywhere near the stairs.

However, FitBit does not change calorie estimations based on flights of stairs. (Which is good, since it is so inaccurate.) I completely ignore this feature and wouldn't cite it as an example of FitBit's lack of accuracy, since it doesn't affect the calorie computation.

Finding that it is consistently 300 calories low is right for you. It takes fairly careful food logging over time to determine that. I'm only about a week into testing mine that way (I've been more lax about food logging in the past) and the first week it was dead on. It said I had a deficit of 3600 calories and I lost 1 lb. However, I really feel that I need at least a couple of months of careful tracking to really know how close it is for me.

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are also not accurate, I often test it by counting my steps for say 200 steps then check it, and it misses some at least half the time. My next activity tracker won't be a Fitbit.

The question isn't "Does it miss some steps?" (answer, probably) but really what percentage of steps does it miss? If it misses 20 out of 200 - i.e. 10% - no big deal, but if it misses 80, yeah that's a problem. My observation has been that it is more likely to miss steps when they're intermittent (i.e. when I'm cooking, cleaning, etc.) than when I'm deliberately exercising. I would rather it miss a few valid steps than give me lots of extra steps when I'm not active.

Also, more important than it seeing every little step is how it does calculating calories burned. That's just harder to test. Again, I'd prefer that it be a little low in its estimate than high.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    MFP and Fitbit have had issues syncing for months. Mine hasn't worked properly since the beginning of the year. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting them does the trick, but not always.