March Veg Out Challenge

Options

Replies

• beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I read that challenge as 30 different veggies in the month, versus just logging a veggie a day. But as with the jaunt or any other challenge, interpret your way- as long as it means you eat more veggies in a wider variety.

Today I'll repeat spinach in breakfast. I'm bringing TJ ( not our TJ the store Trader Joe) Cruciferous crunch with lunch today as my salad. Love it with just olive oil, a touch of lemon juice and salt. It gives me a bunch of veggies - kale, Brussels sprouts, red cabbage, green cabbage. Tonight's dinner has carrots in the soup I made yesterday...which will be served with fresh avocado.

Which will give me 8 different veggies in the first 2 days. Which sounds all great.....

But makes me wonder how will I ever get to 30? I have 10-12 veggies I eat all the time. I try to eat a bit of veggies at every meal. I'll be through my go-to list in the next day or two. Then I'll have to branch out into the unknown.
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sorry Jen, I am going with Kim's approach. Figure it will give me some room since I will probably hit a good 10 veggies in the first few days:) Saw that post about the butter and giggled. Cheese sounds good too!
  • jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    Thanks a lot Kris. I'm used to being rejected though. :cry:

Hehehe....

Kim, I'm eating at least three veggies a day usually, so just picking one that's different will get me through probably almost three weeks. Then I'll be 'experimenting'. .
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Spinach and chicken quesadilla last night. That was great.

Cauliflower waiting for me for lunch.
    Options
    Some cucumbers and radishes with my lunch today.
  • imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My veggie list so far this month as of 3/2:
    Cauliflower
    Baby carrots
    Cucumber
    Spinach
    Celery
    Chia seeds (do seeds count?)
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yep I eat different veggies everyday but I'm just going to pick one a day. Today it's kale.
    If you guys run out of ideas I recommend going to an Asian store if there is one and Try new veggies.
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I tried Kim's earlier share of romanesca (sp???) broccoli. Such a cool looking veggie and it was good. Ate it steamed, nothing else with it. Boring gal here:)
  • GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I made a hummus wrap loaded with different veggies. I tried red cabbage in it this time.
  • heronh
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Rutabaga today!
    Options
    Just some carrots today.
  • beerbikegirl
    Options
    Rutabaga. Not sure I've ever had that.

Kris, I enjoyed the romanesco when I oven roasted it. I did ghee and lemon with salt and citrus pepper.

Traveling today and tomorrow. So far more spinach. Which doesn't help the cause. We'll see what I can get when I go out for dinner.

I love hummus and veggies!
  • heronh
    Options
    Rutabagas are awesome! They are lower carb about 7g net carb per cup. It has a nutty and slightly sweet flavor to it.
  • GoodDaytoYou
    Options
    You guys are getting mighty fancy with your rutabaga and romanesco. I'll have to try to get fancy when I can get to the grocery store.

Another veggie hummus wrap for me for lunch! This one featured sprouts and avocado, which is a great combo. Jalapeño and green onion for a little kick. And of course the regulars spinach, lettuce, bell pepper, and cucumber.
  • heronh
    Options
    Lol rutabaga is far from fancy veggie. It was traditionally planted for livestocks to root it and eat. It has a pretty yellow flesh. I guess at some point someone said "hey this is good why are we feeding it to the livestocks?" :p
  • beerbikegirl
    Options
    Heron- how do you prepare the rutabaga?

Restaurant had roasted beets with goat cheese and pecans. Huge order. Super yummy. And I've never cooked beets. So doubt I'd eat them otherwise. Until recently I thought I hated them. I think growing up I was only exposed to pickled beets.

mpyc4sm20zp7.jpg
  • GoodDaytoYou
    Options
    Haha! Yeah, I always think of rutabega as hipster. I might be watching too much Portlandia.

I admit to having a beet prejudice! My mom always made pickled and canned beets. I can't do beets. Good on you, bikegirl for giving them another try.
    Options
    OMG Kim. I'm sceeeeeeeered of beets for the same reason. Darn pickled beets!!!! I'll have to give them a try (roasted sounds good). :smile:
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Heron, your veggies are so interesting! I will now try sautéed turnips! That and cauliflower should go a long way when I need that comfort food feel of potatoes.

I am loving this challenge. Like you Kim, I have so many every day but now I'm seeing that it is the same 10-12. We will venture out!!!

So far:
    mixed greens (counting this as one)
    carrots
    Snap peas
    broccoli
    celery
    tomatos
    zucchini

TURNIP the volume people!!!
  • heronh
    Options
    Lol you are too cute principal Salva ;)
    Btw if you like potato you will like rutabaga! its lower carb, I cup has about 9 net gram. It's also purty when you mash them, has a pretty yellow orange color so you know it's good for you ;)
    I'm gonna try slicing them and frying them like fries next week.