Deadlift Form Check

Options
EricMurano
EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
I hope this is ok to post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FUDkZ_CnUM

I've only just started lifting again after a hiatus. Is my deadlift form ok?

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    2 things jump out at me. Lower back flexion after the first rep (upper too, but lower is more worrisome), and shoulders are starting in front of bar.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Your low back does look pretty rounded to me especially after the first rep. Can you think to pull yourself down to the bar while getting your hips down a little bit? It is hard to know where to position your hips because everyone's limb length is different but I would think it would be tough for you to flatten out your back with your hips that high.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get that back flattened out and you'll be much better off. Your first rep is pretty close, make them all look like that. Try full resetting (hands off bar, stand up) between each rep until you get it down.
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the others. Lower back is rounding, so work on flattening that out. Your hips look high; play around with lowering it to help get full tension.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Agree with what everyone stated, and I also noticed your gaze goes from slightly up on the first rep, to slightly down on the subsequent reps. I think if you look up a little it may help you drop your hips down, pull your shoulders back and straighten your low back.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I'll try starting with my hips a little lower to help with flattening my back.
    dinosnopro wrote: »
    Agree with what everyone stated, and I also noticed your gaze goes from slightly up on the first rep, to slightly down on the subsequent reps. I think if you look up a little it may help you drop your hips down, pull your shoulders back and straighten your low back.

With looking down, a few of the instructional videos I've seen on youtube say to keep your head and gaze down. Are you saying that I should look up (like into the mirror) or still keep the gaze down only a little bit higher than my current gaze?
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    EricMurano wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

With looking down, a few of the instructional videos I've seen on youtube say to keep your head and gaze down. Are you saying that I should look up (like into the mirror) or still keep the gaze down only a little bit higher than my current gaze?

It's sort of personal preference. I've always been coached to "pack the neck" and tuck my chin, which makes it seem that I'm looking down. Even though my neck is right on top of my shoulders, my gaze is still forward about 6 feet, not straight down. I think it is also ok to start with a neck position that is slightly extended and forward gaze, but I certainly wouldn't look up at like the ceiling. Some people do, but I don't really think it's that good for my neck/spinal position.
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been coached to maintain a neutral spine with the head position and then move the eyes as needed. Hope you find what works for you.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    EricMurano wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

It's only a minor, minor change in your gaze. I wouldn't struggle to look in the mirror (I have to turn away from the mirror otherwise it throws me). What I do is pick a spot partway up the wall across the room from me. I focus on that spot with my eyes. That spot should put my head and neck in a nuteral position, with eyes looking up slightly.

In your first rep everything is fine,spine nuetrtal, shoulders back. In subsequent reps your gaze seems to stay "at the floor" tipping you head slightly down.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. ( I think I may have confused myself...lol..)