March Veg Out Challenge

Options

Replies

• imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't stop with the ice and snow, I'm never going to have a veggie again. Don't want to walk to the farmers' market or store. :( Too dangerous to carry bags when it is so slippery. Just the standby carrots, onions, and celery...
  • imabizzybee
    Options
    Heron, what the heck did you do with a rutabaga? Mash it?
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Cabbage yesterday, broccoli today.
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Today's veggie. Oodles of zoodles.

Summer Squash aka zucchinni. With chicken Italian sausage olio d aglio (sp?) style. Garlic olive oil Parmesan. a9tncaybe3tw.jpg
  • GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That zucchini looks amazing!

I ate a potato. Yes, I said the dreaded p word! With a ton of broccoli and green onions. Maybe a little cheese too. I need rutabaga in my life.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    So Far
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cauliflower (2 times just made mash)
    spag Squash
    Carrots ( cooked in slow cooker last night as a bed for a beef pot roast. w tavern sauce on it, (Betty Crocker I think)
    Plenty of Olives, Mushrooms and Onions in stuff (tried Purple onions like 'em)
    Gonna have Kale, and Carrots in my PWO shake in the morning.
    Trying things in different formats love it.

• beerbikegirl
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cauliflower yesterday. Cut it up, threw in mixing bowl. Melted ghee. Dumped it over along with spices (garlic, turmeric, lemon pepper & flavor God lemon garlic) roasted in over at 375 for 20 minutes. Sprinkled with a bit of Parmesan. Very yummy.
  • jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    I had ZERO veggies yesterday. Bad Jen! :disappointed: I'm going to be hitting them hard this weekend. Going to try cauliflower (finally) and rutabaga (since Heron says they are so good).
    So far I've had spinach, lettuce, cucumbers and carrots (if I go by my 1 per day plan). I've also had green beans and radishes, so a total of 6 veggies in 5 days. Heading off in a bit to go restock my fridge.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You treat a rutabaga just like you would any root vegetables, sautéed, fried or mash. It's a personal preference thing.

I had cabbage and radish
  • imabizzybee
    Options
    Big snow storm yesterday. Baby carrots again...
    Going to the market today, hoping for some good variety. Kim those zoodles looked wonderful!

I'll be making a nice veggie soup later. I know it sounds nuts, but I put in one can of Hormel turkey chili with beans to a big pot of veggie soup and it gives it just the right amount of meat and beans and flavor.Then pile in the zucchini, green beans, cabbage, carrots, onions, and other yummy bits.
  • heronh
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weekend is coming up and that means farmers' market! Hmmm actually from you guys are describing I think it might still be too cold for it? Anyways, have you ever been to a farmers' market and looked at a veggie and wonder what is it? Next time, pick that mystery veggie and ask the vendor how do you cook it abd what does it taste like? They are usually happy to tell you! Then comes the recommendations, "oh if you like the taste of this you should try "x" " I grow a lot of our own veggies but due to space I still go to our farmers' market and my organic vendor knows me and what I like, so he will tell me what is about to be ready and what is almost done. He is also very honest about when his veggies are not the best due to Mother Nature. So chat with up your local farmer! And be sure to tell how you enjoy their veggies! It's a hard life being a small farmer with low profit margin and high risk. I'm sure it'll be nice to hear some compliments. ;)
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hey - do we have a Team Captain for Fat2Fit HQ when we register? Is that you Kim?

BAD JEN! LOL... just kidding, if I know you, you will totally hit them hard this weekend.

All the farmer's market talk has me looking for one online in my area. I'm running out of veggies in my normal routine.

Keep vegging out guys!!
  • kilosierra83
    Options
    Tomatoes yesterday bell peppers today.
  • beerbikegirl
    Options
    Carol I guess I'm the captain. I set up the team. But can't figure out what I do with it.
  • heronh
    Options
    Snow peas
  • GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I miss the farmers market! I have to wait until April/May for my Minneapolis market to open. Can't wait.

I had ginger and garlic in some carrot soup yesterday. Today tomatoes, etc. I'm at 16 veggies (not including potato lol) but I've also exhausted all the regulars now.

• beerbikegirl
    Options
    heronh wrote: »
    Weekend is coming up and that means farmers' market! Hmmm actually from you guys are describing I think it might still be too cold for it?

Maybe....8fo8wunjz389.jpg

Our farmers market is May-Nov also. While it opens first Sat of May, really June begore lots of stuff. Last couple of years I was eying kohlrabi but never got up nerve. Will do it. I just remembered fennel which I love roasted. Need to get some. In addition to the rutabaga I want to try parsnip mash also.
  • jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    Just finished a salad with a new veggie for me - hearts of palm. Interesting flavor. Arugula with apple, radish & hearts of palm and some awesome olive oil. Oh and something called coconut bacon. I had to try it.

I'm so ready for the farmers market too. I've not been the best at getting much produce from the vendors the last couple of years but this year will be different.

As for the veggie site, I just gave up trying to do anything there. I have my paper log and I'm just using that.
  • kilosierra83
    Options
    Cucumber yesterday, not sure what today will be.
  • beerbikegirl
    Options
    Today's new veggie: Artichoke.

6288paf3ul52.jpg

I will Always wonder how someone figured out not only these would be tasty, but how to eat them.

I steam them. Dip flesh of leaves in a mix of mayo, Dijon mustard and lemon juice. And both hubby and son only like the leaves, so I get three centers.