How many of you....

Options
karirenae
karirenae Posts: 106 Member
How many of you lost weight to your desired goal, or large amounts of weight and had your ups and downs with the scale? I ALWAYS get discouraged when it doesnt move. Even if it is the same as the day before , I still get discouraged. Although I am a daily weigher ( i know shame on me) and I know that it will fluctuate daily, I almost just get mad because it's such an obsession!!! I just want some hope from those of you that had the same problems. I want to be sure I am on the right track and stalls and gains are just part of the process??

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I wish I was at home right now. I could find many examples where my weight bounced up and down for weeks at a time. When you zoom in, even the moving average is flat or rising. Then when you zoom out, you have a hard time really seeing those. The graph just seems to steadily slope downwards.

I lost around 50 pounds. It is normal to not see changes daily and to see a lot of variation. A pound and a half a week is a 100g daily loss of fat. That is 0.1 kg. That's less than 4 oz of water in difference. A little hydration change has a massive scale effect that easily hides the real weight loss.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, it is all a part of the process. In the very beginning I could predetermine my weight loss -- it was about 1 pound a day, then 3 or 4 pounds a week, and then up, and then down.. and now I am really really happy if it is a 1 a week. I got fed up with the ups and downs personally( I weighed every day for months), so I only weigh once a week now.

I lost 90 pounds in less than a year, but have gained 10 back. I also go through phases where I am super motivated, and then no so much - and just think if I gained it, I can loose it later. haha... Going through a super motivated phase now. I am 20 from my ultimate goal, which would result in me loosing 100 total. I'm not really sure if I will ever get there -- but I thought that of my original goal as well. I'm just taking it one day at a time and concentrating on how much better I feel.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    definitely me! i lost 86 pounds, i have gained maybe 7 of those back? i have noticed a trend-late fall and winter are hard, spring summer fall, easier (until about thanksgiving)...there are times i have to throw what i am "trying" to do out the window and try a new eating plan because "new" motivates me...i am trying NOT to do that with Keto, because i feel too good on it. It took me three years to get this far but i honestly think that is OK. how many people "wish" for change and never have the strength to do it? i did it-i refuse to put a deadline on it. Plus when it takes a long time-you don't even remember what you were doing to get fat in the first place LOLOL. or maybe that is just a side effect of getting older ;)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yep weight loss regardless of what plan followed is never linear and you gotta think life style, overall trend line and its going to be looooong term. I had ups and downs but i stuck to it and have lost 250lbs in 18 months.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Everyone in this group (as well as any other weight loss group) can relate.

Don't get discouraged, it's 'normal' and as long as you stay focused and committed you will lose the weight.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I've lost 84lb. At first I was losing 3lb/week. Eventually though it started slowing down and doing what I call the hokey-pokey. You know: goes up, goes down...shakes all around...that's what it's all about. Then finally goes down. As I get closer to goal, it does the hokey-pokey for longer periods. It helps knowing that this is going to happen, so I don't get too bent out of shape about it. 18 more pounds of the hokey-pokey...ugh.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is a long-term view. The blue line is the daily scale weight. The yellow line is a 10-day moving average. The red line is a weighted trend-line. I paid the most attention to the red line, some attention to the yellow, and the blue line was obviously not important at all. It's about 8 months and 20 kg (44 pounds) in this shot. That's a rate of about 0.6 kg/week... 1.4 lbs/week. Not a slow rate of loss. And you can see some pretty gnarly swings on the scale.
    v32s4ecotu53.png

This is a little over two-week stretch. You can see that my weight bounced all over the place. This isn't even the worst one. You can see (from the yellow and red lines) that my weight was still falling pretty steady. I had times where the yellow and red lines almost went flat. Those were worse times. I just picked one spot at random. When pulled out, can you really even tell where these days fall?
    qq18vmcp6401.png
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If your carb intake varies much, then your weight will vary a lot due to glycogen loading/unloading and the associated water gain/loss. It's a pretty big factor in low-carb diets.

I don't worry much about the rate of loss. I'm more interested in finding a diet that's sustainable over the long term. Low carb keeps my appetite in check, and I love that I'm losing weight without hunger or cravings. Just keep the popcorn and chips/salsa away from me, and I'll be fine. :)
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    karirenae wrote: »
    How many of you lost weight to your desired goal, or large amounts of weight and had your ups and downs with the scale? I ALWAYS get discouraged when it doesnt move. Even if it is the same as the day before , I still get discouraged. Although I am a daily weigher ( i know shame on me) and I know that it will fluctuate daily, I almost just get mad because it's such an obsession!!! I just want some hope from those of you that had the same problems. I want to be sure I am on the right track and stalls and gains are just part of the process??

I had after the first 88 pounds, an almost year long plateau, which I broke by learning portion control after coming to mfp. I have weeks of good loss, weeks of slow, and the rare week of gain. The one thing I know, if I don't abandon the way I'm eating, it works.
    I do weigh daily because Dr. Richard and Dr. Rachel Heller recommend daily weighing, with your true weight being arrived at by averaging 7 days of weights. This has saved my franny by letting me see that some weeks, while it might only have 1/2 pound, I did have a loss that I would have missed if I couldn't average daily weights.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    As an aside, I very rarely varied any of my carb intake. I was almost at zero most of the time. So, all those fluctuations are probably reduced as much as is reasonably possible.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    yep weight loss regardless of what plan followed is never linear and you gotta think life style, overall trend line and its going to be looooong term. I had ups and downs but i stuck to it and have lost 250lbs in 18 months.

WOW! DO you have any before and after pics? I'll bet they are astonishing...

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I second that Dan... I would like to see those pictures.

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds on keto in the last 13 months, and 110 total from my highest weight. The first 6 months were fairly steady, but even in them I had stalls of a couple weeks here and there. I joined a gym at that point and the added activity has changed my weight loss patterns drastically. I'm getting way healthier, and I'm losing inches, but the scale bounces around like crazy.
    Although I am a daily weigher ( i know shame on me) and I know that it will fluctuate daily

Many here do weight weekly or even less, but a number of us weigh daily. I weigh daily b/c seeing the ups and downs keeps me calm about it. If I don't weigh for 7 days then I don't know if my number on that 7th day is trending with all the others or if its bouncing around a lot that day. Others have the opposite view. If weighing daily seems like its causing you added stress maybe you should try ignoring the scale for a bit and just focusing on doing everything right, knowing that the weight loss will come :)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Only took face comparisons yesterday for another forum but here you go.
    ---
    2012 - Not sure on weight as the then-scale was limited to 400lbs which i would get the good ole Error message. So i go with 400+

14301377131_8d83b6b93b_b.jpg

Day 1 (08/27/2013) - Got a 440lb limit scale and my Day 1 weight was 432lbs.
    13899037417_6e64067976_o.jpg

03.03.15 and 03.04.15 @ 182lbs
    16095939113_f783980118_c.jpg

16703904662_37697156bb_b.jpg

I second that Dan... I would like to see those pictures.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! Your effort has certainly paid off and you look great! I needed to see this this morning. Thank you.
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This three is very inspirational! Thanks Dan for sharing pictures - awesome! And Goat - wow on the graph. I think that's good to see.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Well done @TheSatinPumpkin!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @TheSatinPumpkin‌ -- Dude, you ought to be smiling in those after pics! That is a huge accomplishment! Congrats, man!

@karirenae‌ -- I'm just going to drop this here for you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10067269/your-scale-is-a-lying-liarpants
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Thanks .... Great dedication. Congrats
  • ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @thesatinpumpkin You look amazing!!! Really awesome.