Prone Jackknife tips or help?

Options
yasmine334
yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
Hi

I started stage 1, now I have done couple of workouts, and I really face a problem in doing the Prone Jackknife! every time I keep trying but it always becomes hard for me to perform it.

Anyone has tips on how to do it properly?

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on which part of it you're having trouble with. I struggle to get through the whole set of 15 reps (so glad it reduces after 2 times) and I get shaky but get done. Is there a certain aspect in particular you're struggling with in it? I also posted a video I found on youtube that showed the prone jackknife, if that helps.
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    the challenging part is not balancing myself on my arms, I manage to do that (although quiet hard), but the movement of the legs on the ball distracts my balance. also sometimes my legs fell off the swiss ball!

I cant see the video link, where did u post it?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    The PJK is actually a very tricky movement and I'm surprised it's actually in a book for "beginning" lifters. Mountain climbers are a similar movement that you can do until you build up the stability to do JK or simply do planks with your feet on the ball. Then you can start doing a few jackknifes at a time. Make sure you're doing them correctly and using the correct muscles(I always tweaked my back doing them when I started)- you'll get it down in no time:)
  • DawnEmbers
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I posted it in the Stage 1 thread. It's on page 111 when I go back to look and is a link as I don't know how to embed it in there forums.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    It is tough. If you aren't keeping the ball stable then you probably don't have your core on strong enough. I get the odd sideways wobble if I slack off for a second. Balance is all about core work so if you aren't strong enough yet, swap it out for planks on the ball as barbellcowgirl suggests.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Popping in here to mention also that if you have a condition like diastasis recti (split stomach muscles), you shouldn't be doing the PJK and should swap it for the aforementioned planks :smile:

Just for future reference :smile:

I can do the PJK but my physio and gp would not be happy lol
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    I guess it depends on which part of it you're having trouble with. I struggle to get through the whole set of 15 reps (so glad it reduces after 2 times) and I get shaky but get done. Is there a certain aspect in particular you're struggling with in it? I also posted a video I found on youtube that showed the prone jackknife, if that helps.

Prone jackknife starts with 8 reps, and increases over time - the opposite of the other moves in Stage 1 Workout A.

I agree with the suggestions to try planks on the ball, or even just on the floor with straight arms. Mountain climbers as well, as it's a similar movement.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Oops, I did them the same as the others. Guess I should have looked better when I was writing out the workouts in my notebook.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about the actual rep and sets for the prone jackknife. I have my notebook fixed for both that one and the crunches too. 15 was quite difficult for the first workouts, and now I know it wasn't supposed to be that many. lol Oh well, I've got the right ones written and ready for tonight's B workout.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Now it's going to feel easy!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Ack, I was doing 15 too! Well, actually, I was doing 12 :D before hitting failure :p
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me about the actual rep and sets for the prone jackknife. I have my notebook fixed for both that one and the crunches too. 15 was quite difficult for the first workouts, and now I know it wasn't supposed to be that many. lol Oh well, I've got the right ones written and ready for tonight's B workout.

No problem! The Swiss Ball Crunch is the same as well.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I hated the prone jackknife when I started! Mostly because I was a failure with them lol. I fell off the ball, couldn't bring my knees all the to my chest, and definitely could not make it through the entire set. All that made me want to do it right though. I kept at it and as I got stronger everything got better. The first time I did a complete set I was so excited. I thought, "yes! I just made that ball my bi**h!" Lol. I love that move now:)
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not sure if you guys know there is an excellent Facebook page and community for NROL4W. Last year the authors had a discussion and updated some things. Here are their updated recommendations for nutrition and abs, including a video on the prone jacknife.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-lift-like-a-man-look-like-a-goddess/changes-amendmendments/10152281001688416