New to LCHF...not sure it's going well

Options
42carrots
42carrots Posts: 97 Member
I've been gradually working toward my new low carb high fat macros and have been more or less hitting them over the last couple days, but well, I'm experiencing a lot of gastro-intestinal issues as of yesterday, and today the thought of eating high fat meals is repulsing me. Hoping my system calms down, and I'm sure an adjustment period is to be expected, especially since it's a pretty radical shift for my system - I was previously eating relatively low carb and definitely low fat, but still lots of vegetables and fibre and usually some healthy cereal every day. Anyway, thought I'd check in here to see if others had similar experiences and maybe some words of wisdom, cautionary information, etc.

The other thing I might as well ask about here is supplements, I noticed that a lot of people seem to be taking a magnesium supplement to help with cramping? I haven't experienced this yet, but just wondering how crucial this is, I do take a multivitamin most days but not sure that's enough. I should probably see a nutritionist ultimately, but advice here would be great too. Thanks !

Replies

• lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I remember the first two week my stomach rumbled a lot! Adding a lot of fat to your diet will take some getting used to. Before LCHF I was taking 400mg of magnesium. I've upped that to 800 mg. I'm prone to leg cramps and the magnesium definitely helps. I know a lot of people take potassium too. My potassium level is good so I've not added that. Another thing is salt. I've never been a salt eater but on this WOE I crave more salt.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    What kind of fat are you eating? If you are adding a lot of coconut oil that can cause gastric upset if you add it too quickly. If you are doing that, try eating other foods high in fat instead while gradually building up tolerance.

I do take 400 mg Mg a day (currently magnesium taurate, but I also like magnesium citrate and chelated magnesium). Not specifically for cramping, but because most people are deficient in magnesium. Also, it can help some people avoid constipation.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    When I was first adjusting, I added a lot of heavy whipping cream, butter, cream cheese, and sour cream to things. That helped me adapt tremendously. Have now worked up to coconut oil and such. Originally went LCHF 1/15/15, and finally got around to adding coconut oil the last 2-3 weeks! Types of fat make a difference.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much magnesium I take in a day (my oral supplement is 100 mg) because I also use the Wellness Mama magnesium oil (google it, it will be the first result). I do a few sprays on my body every few days. I've noticed that my headaches/migraines have been drastically reduced in frequency and severity, and I've started recalling my dreams more after I wake up.

I'm not an expert, but I've seen many posts about keeping your electrolytes balanced while on low carb lifestyles.
  • 42carrots
    Options
    I think I've probably been eating too much cheese, starting with coconut oil today (have used it occasionally in the past but not for a while), so that's probably a contributor.

Thanks ahjenny, i'll look into the magnesium oil!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    42carrots wrote: »
    I think I've probably been eating too much cheese, starting with coconut oil today (have used it occasionally in the past but not for a while), so that's probably a contributor.

Thanks ahjenny, i'll look into the magnesium oil!

I consider cheese to be almost it's own food group. The dairy isn't affecting my metabolism to day, so I will continue my love affair of cheese until otherwise indicated. LOL
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've been gradually working toward my new low carb high fat macros and have been more or less hitting them over the last couple days, but well, I'm experiencing a lot of gastro-intestinal issues as of yesterday, and today the thought of eating high fat meals is repulsing me. Hoping my system calms down, and I'm sure an adjustment period is to be expected, especially since it's a pretty radical shift for my system - I was previously eating relatively low carb and definitely low fat, but still lots of vegetables and fibre and usually some healthy cereal every day. Anyway, thought I'd check in here to see if others had similar experiences and maybe some words of wisdom, cautionary information, etc.

The other thing I might as well ask about here is supplements, I noticed that a lot of people seem to be taking a magnesium supplement to help with cramping? I haven't experienced this yet, but just wondering how crucial this is, I do take a multivitamin most days but not sure that's enough. I should probably see a nutritionist ultimately, but advice here would be great too. Thanks !

I looked at your profile and it says you have 14 lbs to lose and you've lost 12. So you have 2 lbs to go? Why bother with such a restrictive diet? You're a skinny person if you're only 2 lbs overweight. This diet is primarily for people that are insulin resistant, obese & morbidly obese, Metabolic syndrome & carb intolerant people.

Otherwise, this is a high fat diet. try eating foods that are appealing to you that have a lot of fat. Do you like other dairy (cottage cheese, cream cheese)? Nuts & seeds? Rib-eye steaks? BBQ ribs? Prime rib? Bacon & eggs?

To fat people like me, cereals are not healthy. There is no such thing as a "healthy cereal" to insulin resistant, obese & morbidly obese, Metabolic syndrome & carb intolerant people.

Magnesium citrate is a very good magn. supplament. I get from Amazon (Solgar brand) 400 mg size. I take two a day ~ I weigh 250.

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Mistizoom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I looked at your profile and it says you have 14 lbs to lose and you've lost 12. So you have 2 lbs to go? Why bother with such a restrictive diet? You're a skinny person if you're only 2 lbs overweight. This diet is primarily for people that are insulin resistant, obese & morbidly obese, Metabolic syndrome & carb intolerant people.

Otherwise, this is a high fat diet. try eating foods that are appealing to you that have a lot of fat. Do you like other dairy (cottage cheese, cream cheese)? Nuts & seeds? Rib-eye steaks? BBQ ribs? Prime rib? Bacon & eggs?

To fat people like me, cereals are not healthy. There is no such thing as a "healthy cereal" to insulin resistant, obese & morbidly obese, Metabolic syndrome & carb intolerant people.

Magnesium citrate is a very good magn. supplament. I get from Amazon (Solgar brand) 400 mg size. I take two a day ~ I weigh 250.

I disagree with your first paragraph. A ketogenic diet is healthful for almost everyone. "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" details how it is a great WOE for athletes. People who are not metabolically challenged will need to eat higher fat to avoid losing too much weight. I agree there are no healthy grain based cereals, but recipes do exist for low carb, grain-free versions. Not sure what the OP is eating.
  • 42carrots
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @DittoDan - I'm just over 5'5" and 127lbs (125 was the goal hence the last 2lbs) so weight isn't the problem, per my endocrinologist I most likely have PCOS which usually includes insulin resistance, which is the only reason I'm adopting this diet, otherwise I'd be more than happy eating the way I was before - generally healthy for a normal person but apparently not for me. I've been vegan or vegetarian in the past and a pescatarian for years, I'm pretty knowledgeable about which foods are healthy, but the whole insulin resistance/low carb way of eating is newer to me.

I actually hadn't really eaten cereal for years apart from homemade oatmeal, but a couple months ago I started eating a small amount of Nature's Path Heritage Flakes because I was experimenting with a higher fibre diet. From what I could find, that one was the highest fibre/lowest sugar option. Anyway I've cut that out now and am working slowly towards learning new LCHF recipes, just trying to maybe take it easy on the cheese in case I'm sensitive to lactose as well. I don't think so but not really entirely sure, apparently it's not uncommon for women with PCOS. Food is frustrating! Thanks though, I appreciate your input!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »

I disagree with your first paragraph. A ketogenic diet is healthful for almost everyone. "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" details how it is a great WOE for athletes. People who are not metabolically challenged will need to eat higher fat to avoid losing too much weight. I agree there are no healthy grain based cereals, but recipes do exist for low carb, grain-free versions. Not sure what the OP is eating.

I agree that a Ketogenic diet is healthy for almost everyone. If you read dozens of other posts I have made in the past, that is clearly evident. She started knocking the diet by saying she "thought that eating fat repulsed her." This is a high fat diet, so she has started out on the wrong foot. She also didn't state that she was in the past a vegan.

Also, she didn't say that she had other conditions (like PCOS) in her OP.

You stated that there are recipes low carb grain free cereals. I am very interested in seeing that. Please share. That's one thing I like about this group is that we have a vast array of knowledge.

Thank you,

• KnitOrMiss
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I found a recipe for a low carb/paleo cereal (obviously substitute sweetener more LCHF friendly that maple syrup) not long ago. I didn't save the link, but hopefully it pastes here...

Paleo Eats: Coconut Cinnamon Cereal
    january 26, 2015 by MEGHAN BIRT filed under: BREAKFAST FOODS, RECIPES Leave a Comment

Paleo Eats Cinnamon Cereal

I had the opportunity to receive an advanced copy of Paleo Eats cookbook. Whenever I get a book or cookbook to review I’m excited. It’s seriously a jump up and down when the delivery guy shows up kind of thing. I was extra excited for Kelly’s book. I have followed Kelly for years on her blog A Girl Worth Saving. Her recipes are wonderful and for the most part, accessible and easy too. Plus, Kelly is one of the sweetest people around! We are in a mastermind group together and she full of ideas, drive and a whole lot of love. And thoughtfulness, creativity and LOVE is what’s in this cookbook. It’s a great one to have in your healthy cookbook corner in your kitchen.

I have a delicious recipe for you. It’s for cereal. Yep, grain-free cinnamon cereal. I love cereal. It’s one of my favorite foods and I don’t get to eat it anymore because I don’t eat grains. But to have a healthy cereal option that’s grain free? Um, yes please!

Without anymore explanation, Paleo Eats presents Coconut Cinnamon Cereal. Enjoy!!

Prep time: 15 minutes
    Cook time: 20 minutes
    Servings: 6
    Ingredients
    1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon sea salt
    ¼ cup maple syrup
    1 large egg
    ½ teaspoon melted coconut oil
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
    Place the coconut shreds and sunflower seeds in a food processor and grind for 30 seconds
    Add the cinnamon, salt, maple syrup, egg, and coconut oil and pulse until combined, about 2 minutes
    Scoop the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a second piece of parchment paper and with a rolling pin, roll to ¼-inch thick. Remove and discard the top piece of parchment paper
    With a wet knife, score the dough into 1-inch squares
    Place in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until firm to the touch
    Remove from the oven and let sit on the pan for 15 minutes to allow it to crisp up
    Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week

Picture makes it look kind of like shredded wheat squares.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    Here are a few cereals from Maria Mind Body Health: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/?s=cereal
  • 42carrots
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree that a Ketogenic diet is healthy for almost everyone. If you read dozens of other posts I have made in the past, that is clearly evident. She started knocking the diet by saying she "thought that eating fat repulsed her." This is a high fat diet, so she has started out on the wrong foot. She also didn't state that she was in the past a vegan.

You stated that there are recipes low carb grain free cereals. I am very interested in seeing that. Please share. That's one thing I like about this group is that we have a vast array of knowledge.

Thank you,

Yeah I guess I could have given more background information, sorry about that. Just to clarify, what I meant was that I kind myself sometimes feeling physically repulsed by the idea of eating more fat - the thought of eating a really high fat meal is at times triggering some nausea and physical manifestations of aversion. Mentally or psychologically I don't think I really have an issue with it and am certainly not knocking the way of eating itself as it's clearly affective for a lot of people, was mainly wondering if other people felt this way as well when they first started. Now that a couple more days have passed I think it's possible that cream cheese has been causing the gastro-intestinal problems, it's something I didn't often eat much of before but have been eating more frequently over the past few days, so I may have answered my own question :)

@KnitOrMiss‌ - love the cereal recipe suggestion, thanks for sharing!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thank you,

Yeah I guess I could have given more background information, sorry about that. Just to clarify, what I meant was that I kind myself sometimes feeling physically repulsed by the idea of eating more fat - the thought of eating a really high fat meal is at times triggering some nausea and physical manifestations of aversion. Mentally or psychologically I don't think I really have an issue with it and am certainly not knocking the way of eating itself as it's clearly affective for a lot of people, was mainly wondering if other people felt this way as well when they first started. Now that a couple more days have passed I think it's possible that cream cheese has been causing the gastro-intestinal problems, it's something I didn't often eat much of before but have been eating more frequently over the past few days, so I may have answered my own question :)

@KnitOrMiss‌ - love the cereal recipe suggestion, thanks for sharing!

FWIW, some fat sources can make you sick if you dive head-first into them without first getting used to them. Cream is a common culprit on that one -- most people can't drink it straight, for example (not right away, anyway). More "rich" animal fats, like lamb, can have the same effect. It's not terribly surprising, then, if you are having that happen to you. Just cut it with something (I love almond milk and cream as a base for drinks and smoothies; animal fats are easy, since you just "cut" it with some of the lean), and work your way up.