Scales not moving :(

Options
ripcurlrana
ripcurlrana Posts: 31 Member
Hi
I'm new to this group and hope I can get some advise...
I'm 136 lbs and want to get down to at least 130lbs. I've lost 6lbs since mid Jan, but the weight stopped dropping about 3 weeks ago.

I've definitely lost inches but nothing on the scales. I do kettleworx 4 days a week and treadmill for 2. Burn about 200-300 cals a day.

I'm on a 1200 calorie daily allowance and don't eat my exercise cals back.

Any help much appreciated to get weight to start dropping again :)

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If you are on a 1200 calorie day, exercise puts you at an even bigger deficit. So you are netting 900-1000 calories a day. You are not eating enough to give your body fuel to burn anything off. You don't have much to lose at all, so you will lose weight much slower than someone severely overweight because there is simply less to lose. The majority of people lose weight with a couple hundred more calories. I can't see your diary so it is hard to provide more information. I hope this helps you!
  • ripcurlrana
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    If you are on a 1200 calorie day, exercise puts you at an even bigger deficit. So you are netting 900-1000 calories a day. You are not eating enough to give your body fuel to burn anything off. You don't have much to lose at all, so you will lose weight much slower than someone severely overweight because there is simply less to lose. The majority of people lose weight with a couple hundred more calories. I can't see your diary so it is hard to provide more information. I hope this helps you!

Thanks! I've stuck to my 1200 today without exercise so I'm hoping I'll see a difference.
    I do enjoy working out, so I'll start eating half my exercise cals back and hopefully I'll start to see a difference. :smile:
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you've lost inches, does it really matter what the scale says? You're getting smaller/leaner! :D
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I honestly stopped using my scale. As long as I'm getting smaller and loving my body who cares what the numbers are?
  • ripcurlrana
    Options
    Thank you all. For me it's the frustration that I'm getting smaller but wonder why that's not reflecting in the scales?

My husbands on a diet too and so keeps the scales out in the bathroom and the temptation to weigh everyday is winning!!

Also my weight can then go up by a pound! I've never experienced the scales doing this before when I've dieted.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It could be worth it to see a nutritionist to make sure you are on the right track. it is possible that you aren't eating enough. if you are in too much of a deficit your body will try to store fat instead of burning it.
  • grace4u2receive
    grace4u2receive Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Losing weight can come off as quickly with little weight to lose as people with a lot more weight. Have you ever cleaned out your body of toxins?

I have done this in December and lost 6.4 pounds in 11 days. I was close to my goal. I am on my fourth day of eliminating unhealthy foods and introducing healthy foods and lost 3 pounds so far. I am now under my goal and feel awesome!

You definitely want to make sure your calorie deficit isn't to large so your body holds onto fat. When you eliminate some foods from your diet, and add healthier choices it allows your body to heal.

35813963.png
  • CoffeeNBooze
    Options
    ^^^ what are these toxins you speak of??

You don't need to go on a "cleanse". You just need a calorie deficit and sensible choices.
  • grace4u2receive
    grace4u2receive Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    ^^^ what are these toxins you speak of??

You don't need to go on a "cleanse". You just need a calorie deficit and sensible choices.

Toxins are everywhere, especially in our bodies and stored in our fat cells.

Examples:

Chemicals are used to produce processed food.

Chemicals are used on produce we eat.
    "Farmers spray seventy-two pesticides on our fruit and veggies."

Chemicals are used in our water to clean it.

Chemicals are applied to couches, new
    mattresses, carpet and many products we used.

Unless you live in a bubble your exposed to hundreds of toxins everyday. What does your body do to things you eat, but it can't process?

"The liver is your body's filter, charged with neutralizing all sorts of substances from the waste products of everyday metabolism to the ever-increasing load of toxins in our air, water, food, cosmetics, and workplace. One of the most serious results of an overstressed or toxic liver is that it becomes so bogged down, it can't fully metabolize fat. As a rot dumps fat and cholesterol back into the bloodstream, sabotaging your weight loss and putting you at risk for numerous health problems, including indigestion, fatigue, high cholesterol, depression, mood swings, lupus, arthritis, and other autoimmune conditions. A toxic liver also creates disastrous results for your skin, leaving you with a tendency to blotchy patches and rashes. Meanwhile, your colon - designed to eliminate both natural bodily wastes and toxins is likewise laboring under a double strain. An overworked colon means that toxins and bile (a crucial substance produced by the liver) can sit in your gut too long. Eventually, your body reabsorbs the toxins and sends them back to the liver once again. What's the point of struggling to manage our food intake if our organs are giving way under the strain of processing a toxic overload?"

Check out some good food documentaries (Food, Inc., Forks Over Knives, King Corn, Super Size M, The Harvest, and Hungry for Change) and read a good detox book (Dr. Mark Hyman, Ann Louise Gittleman- a nutritionist). Get educated and here's a group to get some info. and encouragement!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103019-revitalized-bodies
  • CoffeeNBooze
    Options
    Oh lord Almighty I'm dying and I didn't even know it. ......
  • klb4216
    klb4216 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't worry i'm new too just don't let the scale define who you are as a person we are all counting on you. if you feel that you are smaller than what the scale says, then believe it :D
  • ripcurlrana
    Options
    Thank you all for your ongoing support. I have upped my calories to no lower than 1200 including calories burned from exercise. I'm aiming to get nearer 1400 when poss.
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ntinkham88 wrote: »
    I honestly stopped using my scale. As long as I'm getting smaller and loving my body who cares what the numbers are?

There's no "Like" button.. So "Click...LIKE!" :smiley:
  • ernie6191
    ernie6191 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am having the same issue with the scale. When you are already lean, it is more difficult to shed a couple extra pounds because your body wants to maintain. One problem that I have had in the past was miscalculating my portion sizes and overestimating my calories burned. I started weighing, measuring, and wearing a heartrate monitor which helped a lot to give me accurate numbers!

Otherwise, I concur with the others. Focus on inches! You could just be gaining muscle. :)
  • kalin73
    kalin73 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try doing interval training (HIIT) on the treadmill and add a variation of strengthening exercises. Muscle assists in fat burn.

Don't go below 1200 calories a day and try having less carbs and more protein and natural fats.

Whenever I see less changes in my body or on the scale, I tweak my workout routine and incorporate new stuff to my diet.
  • ddconney7
    ddconney7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you grace4u2receive for the info on toxins. I know this is an issue for me. I just recently started drinking the Yogi Detox Tea about five days ago...hope it helps. I will definitely check out the info you shared.

I only have about ten pounds to lose but I have been losing and gaining it back for the last few years (ridiculous I know). Hopefully, with some consistent eating/exercising I will be able to lose it and keep it off.

Since joining MFP and logging my meals, I realize I was not eating enough calories and recently increased. Hope it works.