Need healthy alternatives

snowdyno
snowdyno Posts: 1 Member
I am a huge fan of chips, hamburgers and fries. I have made homemade burgers with turkey meat instead of red meat, but I have yet to find a new alternative to my chip and fries cravings. Does anyone have alternatives that they use or have heard of?

Replies

• Ugh, this one is hard... I love salty snacks as well... especially chips... I would say everything is okay in moderation. You can always make your own healthy chips. In a food processor slice beets, parsnips, sweet potatoes. Bake a 400 for 30 mins each side.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    I like Boulder Canyon Chips. They don't add all the junk in.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Bake your own fries & chips using low fat cooking trips. The extra time & exertion will burn some calories and I hope you'll be satisfied if not delighted with the outcome
  • grace4u2receive
    grace4u2receive Posts: 333 Member
    Homemade kale chips are awesome and so good for you! Check out the recipe in Paleo Comfort Foods.
  • CoachKatya
    CoachKatya Posts: 7 Member
    Yes, kale chips are great. Here is what I do http://wellnesswithkatya.com/2015/01/my-favorite-kale-chips/
  • RHPgirl
    RHPgirl Posts: 3 Member
    How about brussel sprout chips!!!!! My fave
  • savannahc87
    savannahc87 Posts: 12 Member
    Baked Sweet Potato fries are sooo good!! My kiddo even eats them without complaint or need for regular fries!
  • for the begginin try to eat sweet potatoes instead of regular ones. if you that crazy for fried potatoes and chips try not to buy them in fast foods (as they use soooo much oil wich is not regularly changed) instead you make at home -which is definitely more clean and healthier.
    Burgers?as well make them at home, try to eat more chiken/turkey instead of fastfoods.

those are just little advices for the very begging. if you really want to cut them do it slowly and step by step cuz if you cut them rapidly it s going to be a shock for your body.
  • ImPerfectSoRU
    ImPerfectSoRU Posts: 9 Member
    Potato chips are my Kryptonite!!! I can't even have them in my house. Been chip free since Christmas. :) There are some good substitutes posted here. Roasted Salted Almonds are my favorite as they supply some healthy fat along with the salt to quench the craving.
  • kimberleybertrand
    kimberleybertrand Posts: 2 Member
    Plentils are extremely delicious. One if my favorites for sure. I love salt and vinegar chips. But the substitute if Plentils works for me.
  • augenartz
    augenartz Posts: 2 Member
    snowdyno wrote: »
    I am a huge fan of chips, hamburgers and fries. I have made homemade burgers with turkey meat instead of red meat, but I have yet to find a new alternative to my chip and fries cravings. Does anyone have alternatives that they use or have heard of?

• augenartz
    augenartz Posts: 2 Member
    My favorite chips & fries substitute is Kale Chips and Almond Nut thins. I like the healthy source of antioxidants found in Kale, and I particularly like the light salt and crispy texture of the Blue diamond brand almond nut thins.
    augenartz wrote: »
    augenartz wrote: »

• I love baked root vegetable fries like carrots, rutabega, parsnips (although be careful with those as the carbs are still pretty high), and zucchini fries too. Basically, anything vegetable you can cut into a fry-like shape you can probably bake into a fry substitute. The same goes for chips. When we occasionally make chips at home, we slice the vegetables and then put them into a ziplock bag with a small amount of oil and seasoning, then shake it to make sure everything's coated. Then all you have to do is spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake them. Just make sure you don't use too much salt - as you bake them, the veggies will lose water, which will concentrate the salt more.
  • FRIES - yes yes yes, please make yourself and indulge yourself in - asparagus fries. If you love asparagus or even if you don't you'll love these
    - http://damndelicious.net/2014/05/09/baked-asparagus-fries/
    - to be honest I don't even do all that! I have an eggwhite bowl and a bread crumbs bowl and i dip the asparaus in each and then put it on the frying pan!
    - enjoy