Fell off the wagon; determined to get back on

Options
cwrig
cwrig Posts: 190 Member
Last year I started my journey with diabetes and my dr told me i was his poster child. Over the year my a1c went from 12 to 5. I lost 55lbs. My BP went to normal, I ran a 5K race for the first time in my life and I felt really good.

Then came winter.

I fell off the wagon. Just started "cheating" on food and gradually became re-addicted to Carbs. I gained 30 lbs back and am starting to have that low energy lethargic feel. Im aslo angry at myself for losing this ground.

Guess what coincided with this "falling off the wagon"; I stopped using MFP for food logging.

But today, I've decided to get back on the wagon. Hopefully I do not fall off again.

Replies

• gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Falling off the wagon happens. I fall off the wagon every week. But I have been getting back on. When you get back on track if you build in a cheat day here and there you may not feel like falling off the wagon for such a long time. Good Luck
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hard lessons are often the ones which stick the longest. Having realised your error you are in a much stronger position. You know what you have to do and have proved that you have the determination to succeed. Welcome back and best wishes for your future success as an MFP logger.
  • cwrig
    Options
    Thanks. Even after 2 days of eating better, I feel a bit better.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That first step is sometimes the hardest. Welcome back. You know you can do it!!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you are back!!! I've slacked off during the holidays, etc. I've been trying to get back on track lately. The only thing I have done is continued to log my food, even on the worst food days.
  • cwrig
    Options
    I am back to logging food, which helps keep myself honest. Its simple, but so helpful.
  • sccjahab
    sccjahab Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi, I find myself not wanting to write down the things I know I should not have eaten. Does anyone else struggle with that? I am so glad I got my computer b/c I feel I can do better with the support of others than I did on my own.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, I recognise the temptation but one of the strengths of MFP is that it helps to keep us accountable. I haven't known people being given a hard time for eating beyong their limits. I would encourage you to enter all your food. Doing that will help you target problem areas.
  • sccjahab
    Options
    Thanks, I am finding that the support helps a lot. Also I decided if I don't want to write it down I can't have it. That seems to be working pretty well. I promised my diabetes educator a food log on my next visit.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I feel you "pain". I, too, have recently gotten back on track. My husband and I have been going through a rough patch which caused me to be depressed, top that off with vacation which ended badly, they holidays, etc. With the new year I am struggling to get back on track. I have finally lost some of what I gained and that is making me feel better. Now if I can just find some exercise to add to the mix I would do even better.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Dude are we twins or something? I also was diagnosed last year and proceeded to lose 62 pounds. I stopped tracking and exercising and promptly gained 40 pounds back. I dread going to the doctor at the end of the month as I am sure my A1c will be back in the high range. I got it down to 5.3 and the doctor said come back in 6 months. Boy was that a mistake, I need to be back on a three month schedule. I would sure like to lose 16 pounds in the next 4 weeks just to get back under three hundred.
  • sccjahab
    Options
    Writing a log is really helping. I am thankful that I found MFP and the support on it.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think for many of us logging has definite benefits. As you mentioned it forces us to face our decisions rather than just letting them happen. If I decide to have a quantity of nuts for a snack, I measure the amount I'm going to eat rather than bring a container of nuts to the den and mindlessly munch while I watch TV. Last year that munching would have led to a trip to the fridge for a beer to wash them down.

I have also found that pre-logging my dinner allows me to budget my carbs and calories and make adjustments before the fact. That way I can plan a celebratory slice of cake on my wife's birthday or a beer with my son on Friday night. (Beer is a terrible choice for a T2 but with planning I think I can budget one in.)

The smartest thing logging makes me do: before going to a restaurant I try to visit their web site to log my meal into MFP and adjust accordingly.

The silliest thing I've done while logging: While closing out my log at 11one night, I saw the calories had crept single digits into the red. I went back down to the basement and did 5 minutes on the stair climber just to get it into the black. I mean really who cares, no one would know other than me and the elf in my computer.
  • SANGSTER63
    SANGSTER63 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What I done is log everything and try to stay away from starches .I find if I have too much my blood sugar goes up then I start to feel ill. I am on a 1500 cals a day but I try to stay around 1350 so if I go over I know I fine. when it come to snacks I buy small bag of chip nut and I look at the cal in the whole package if it look good I my buy it if not I put it back. LOGING KKEP ME ON TRACK AND I DO FALL OFF ONCE IN A WHILE.
  • mccoll67
    mccoll67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I lost 20 pounds eating low carb about 3 mos ago, then let myself go wild again. I think tracking, even when painful, is a good idea....
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to experience and get back on track. I think I quit smoking about a dozen times over the course of 5 years until I finally quit smoking for good. You've proven that you can do what it takes.