Artificial sweeteners ??

Options
Jbarnes1210
Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
I just joined this group, and thought this would be the best place to ask this question....Atkins 20 says to limit artificial sweeteners to 3 packs a day. Will having more than 3 packs prevent the body from being in ketosis?

Replies

• mjcorona87
    mjcorona87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would try to limit it as much as possible, a lot of them have maltodextrin added.
  • mjcorona87
    mjcorona87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would try to limit it as much as possible, a lot of them have maltodextrin added.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Short answer: no. More complicated answer, depends on the sweetener. If you're doing the usual Equal, Sweet n Low, etc, still no. If you're getting into sugar alcohols like erythritol (Truvia) or Xylitol, there are differences in how they're processed, so it has carbs listed on the labels, but they don't always count. Erythritol is metabolized so that you don't count the carbs. Xylitol is partially processed, so the general advice is to count half of what's on the label. Other sugar alcohols are half or more what's on the label, depending on which one.
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A packet of splenda is .9 carbs I read, I switched to a liquid sucralose I bought on amazon thats even cheaper than walmart sucralose packets per serving.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZCNZGE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002MO765O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01G152JBBSA67HPHW9KV
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you use liquid sweeteners you don't have to limit them. The powdered splenda, equal, etc. have malodextrin or other fillers so they are about 1 g carb per packet. If you use liquid sucralose or stevia there are no fillers. I like EZ-Sweetz myself as it is very concentrated but you can buy more dilute versions at the grocery store. If you use granulated erythritol or sweeteners such as Trivia (not the baking blend though, it had sugar) or PureVia you don't have to limit as erythritol has no impact on blood sugar. YMMV, as some people report cravings increase with anything that tastes sweet.

This is the EZ-Sweetz I buy, I usually get it from Netrition.com http://www.amazon.com/Packs-0-5-Liquid-Sweetener-Servings/dp/B003LECIDE/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_text_z
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I lost my weight doing Atkins and never had a problem with artificial sweeteners preventing ketosis. I still have 1 packet of Splenda with my greek yogurt each morning. If that's my one vice I'll keep it :)
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I must be the odd one but I just can't stand the taste of any of them. I do use Erythritol in baking and some shakes but that's it. If the recipe calls for a sweetener I jus omit it and add a bit of vanilla instead.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if sweeteners provoke an insulin response even where there is no sugar there just because of the sweet taste? Does anyone know if there is any science behind this. I did read somewhere that even thinking about sweet things can set off an insulin response and hence signal fat storage. *tries to think about eggs instead*

I must say I think I have gone off a lot of sweeteners as my tastebuds adjust to a low carb regime: last night I poured myself a whiskey and diet ginger ale (am drinking so much less since I moved to LCHF but still like the odd drink) and had to pour it away as the sweeteners in the diet ginger tasted horrible and I've drunk countless amounts in the past.

I have used liquid stevia in some coconut/chocolate fat bombs, but not convinced it is better as the coconut is sweet anyway.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I gave up the diet pop, but I'm not ready yet to drink my coffee without sweet n low, I guess I'll just see how if giving up the diet pop makes a difference first, then I'll decide if I'm gonna give up the sweetener too...just don't think I could do them both at once....
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was just looking into this earlier today and found a nice summary here. I've hated the artificial sweeteners I've tried in the past (thinking mainly of stevia and Splenda, but I think i've tried others, too) so I've been sticking mostly to using very small amounts of honey or maple syrup here and there, but after reading that guide Tagatose sounds like it'd be worth a try, maybe? Anyone else here use it? Apparently it's pretty nutritious and tastes the most like actual sugar, and you can caramelize it, which I'll probably never do but sounds fun !
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if sweeteners provoke an insulin response even where there is no sugar there just because of the sweet taste? Does anyone know if there is any science behind this. I did read somewhere that even thinking about sweet things can set off an insulin response and hence signal fat storage. *tries to think about eggs instead*

I must say I think I have gone off a lot of sweeteners as my tastebuds adjust to a low carb regime: last night I poured myself a whiskey and diet ginger ale (am drinking so much less since I moved to LCHF but still like the odd drink) and had to pour it away as the sweeteners in the diet ginger tasted horrible and I've drunk countless amounts in the past.

I have used liquid stevia in some coconut/chocolate fat bombs, but not convinced it is better as the coconut is sweet anyway.

I don't know of any formal studies, but I have seen a lot of people who say the sweeteners give them carb cravings. There have also been people using meters who get a visible spike after eating Quest bars, which are supposed to be keto friendly.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    42carrots wrote: »
    I was just looking into this earlier today and found a nice summary here. I've hated the artificial sweeteners I've tried in the past (thinking mainly of stevia and Splenda, but I think i've tried others, too) so I've been sticking mostly to using very small amounts of honey or maple syrup here and there, but after reading that guide Tagatose sounds like it'd be worth a try, maybe? Anyone else here use it? Apparently it's pretty nutritious and tastes the most like actual sugar, and you can caramelize it, which I'll probably never do but sounds fun !

I bought 5 lbs. (I think) of tagstose like 2 years ago but have never used it. If you want to try it you better order soon direct from NuNaturals. They lost their supplier and are selling their remaining stock.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    42carrots wrote: »

Really helpful thanks!