From One Low Carb Newbie To Another - You Can Do it!

Options
crystalsan726
crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
Dear Newbie I just wanted to drop a word to encourage you. I started my Low Carb Journey last Friday. My Dr told me because of my diabetes I had to do low carb. My first thoughts NO!!! Not my bread and sweets and all my comfort food I can't do it! I looked for articles about low carb and was so overwhelmed by all the info overload. Then I discovered this group and they took me under their wing and I have made new friends that are there for me everyday encouraging me and answering questions I have. If you are overwhelmed and just need support you have come to the right place. My advice to you start small don't try to do it all at once. If you mess up don't beat yourself up because you are still doing better than what you were before. I am still learning and I still have days I mess up. I said all that to tell you, you can do this! Though I have just started this I can tell you I feel so much better and I don't feel hungry all the time. My energy is better, my head feels clearer if that makes any sense, and to my pleasant suprise when I stepped on the scales this morning I had lost 4 lbs! Yes it may be hard at first but you can do it and if you need someone on this journey to encourage or just walk it with you have come to the right place! Good luck on your new journey!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    So excited for you. Remember, too, that after that initial drop, you may have a small gain or just hold steady until your body adjusts back to it and all...
  • crystalsan726
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So excited for you. Remember, too, that after that initial drop, you may have a small gain or just hold steady until your body adjusts back to it and all...

Thank you for the advice I appreciate it!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Nice post!
  • crystalsan726
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Nice post!
    Thank you! I hope I am able to help encourage someone that was like I was when I first started.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    How great that you have a doctor that recommends low carb! Most people aren't so lucky. Enjoy your low carb journey!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I'm not a newbie, but I can also promise that you can do this! You'll make it. Just take it one day (sometimes one meal) at a time. Before you know it, you'll be one of the old-hats around here. That's basically how it happened with me.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I'm not a newbie, but I can also promise that you can do this! You'll make it. Just take it one day (sometimes one meal) at a time. Before you know it, you'll be one of the old-hats around here. That's basically how it happened with me.

Ditto what he said!

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Crystal, so happy that you feel good about this woe, I wish you lots of success and lost pounds, but please, drop the banana... At least for now! lol, I just had to say it :)
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi Crystal, I loved your post! I would say you are doing fine as a newbie. I haven't lost pounds yet but for some reason I don't mind. Maybe because I feel like I am eating so much good food it is amAZING I haven't gained weight!
  • trudimosteller
    trudimosteller Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not a newbie, but I have been doing the merry go round thing. . . On again off again. I now have type 2 diabetes and low carb has been the best for managing it. My numbers start looking good and I go back to eating whatever I want. Any moral support or suggestions welcome. Glad to have found a community to share the journey.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Great mindset. Congrats on your progress.
  • crystalsan726
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Ditto what he said!

Dan the Man from Michigan
    [/quote]

Thank you both so much for the encouragement. I appreciate it!
  • crystalsan726
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    Crystal, so happy that you feel good about this woe, I wish you lots of success and lost pounds, but please, drop the banana... At least for now! lol, I just had to say it :)

LOL!!! Oh you Crack me up! Needless to say I won't be making those flour less banana Pancakes again. I think I would have been fine if I had only had 1 instead of 3. Thanks for everything you do for me I appreciate it! :smiley:

• crystalsan726
    Options
    Yturie47-That is great!

trudiemosteller- I am Type 2 as well. You have found a great place for support.

TheSatinPumpkin-Thank you so much!
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not a newbie, but I have been doing the merry go round thing. . . On again off again. I now have type 2 diabetes and low carb has been the best for managing it. My numbers start looking good and I go back to eating whatever I want. Any moral support or suggestions welcome. Glad to have found a community to share the journey.

I can tell you I did the on and off thing from the late 1990's until 2011. It really was awful. If you can flip your attitude as I did, to one of "how can I" from "I just can't because...", it makes all the difference. I am pre-diabetic - and have held off Type II by diet changes. You can so improve your health and how you *feel*, by sticking to whatever low carb program you have chosen. Lots of support here!
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As a Type 2 Diabetic, you might find this video interesting. http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/two-big-lies-type-2-diabetes-video-lecture/
    It really clears up a lot of the science. Also as encouragement, I can tell you that I've taken my A1c from 7.2 to 5.6. I'm actually not considered diabetic any longer. But I will always eat as one because it's just a carbage slide to being diabetic again.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    lizpitts wrote: »
    Also as encouragement, I can tell you that I've taken my A1c from 7.2 to 5.6. I'm actually not considered diabetic any longer. But I will always eat as one because it's just a carbage slide to being diabetic again.

Great job! I took mine from 11.9 to 5.6...then stopped and now its back over 9 :(

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @lizpitts thanks for posting this link which I found to be very interesting. I was disappointed in that Dr Jung did not go into more detail about the fasting element, but I suppose that is where he makes his living through consultation fees. His vindication of low carb eating was reassuring. While he didn't give details I suppose what he was saying was that supervised fasting was the way to go allied to a very low carb diet. The lecture in general was both informative and helpful.
  • ShawnaDrew
    ShawnaDrew Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    <3 this post!